SAVAGE RIFLES

moonfleet

I have two, ones a straight F class target rifle in 6.5x284 and the other, I built my self out of bits, is 6mmbr.

They both shoot exceeding well and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one in .223 if I had the chance

Both of mine are built on the single shot F-12 action

I bought a 110FP in 223 years ago and when I got it bedded, the gunsmith was impressed by how accurate it is.

On a good day, in good conditions it will do .3 -> .5 MOA at 100 yards (if I don't fluff things) easily. It is regularly used at between 400 and 600 yards and more than holds it's own against larger calibres.

Gareth

I am a very proud owner of a Savage Model 16 weather Warrior in .204 ruger. I got it S/H but as new and has a rifle basics trigger. It has an alluminium bedding sysem and its pretty accurate with factory ammo. With luck this weekend will run some 39 grn Blitz kings through it and see what it likes.

I have very high hopes for it and if going on all the reviews i have read it should be a very accurate rifle.

Savage rifles do have a very good reputation RB rates them very highly in his 1st foxing book esp the .223

D

I had a Savage 6BR that I sold on when I decided to go down a different route. It shot amazingly well for an 'out of the box' rifle and the new owner is doing better than me with it as well.

A friend of mine shoots the F TR model and it shoots as well as his custom job.

For a straight factory file I think they take lot of beating but the acc-trigger is a bit Marmite; you either love it or hate it.

I have the F 12 action single shot benchrest in 6mm Norma BR. Single shot and when testing loads the OCW way at 100 yard with a front and rear bag I had two three shot groups one at 0.122 x 0.117 and one at 0.122 x 0.116 using 105 A-Maxes and 31 grains of N140 seated 0.002 of the lands. Not too shabby and am delighted with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Can only speak of their rimfires. I have a Savage HMR with Acutrigger and it's possibly the best I've ever shot. Lovely trigger, nice balance and very accurate. Have heard mixed reports about the centrefires. Some love them, some dont. Like most factory American made rifles, you sometimes have to address minor bedding niggles with them, but their barrels and actions seem to be pretty good.

Personally, the Savage actions of the rimfire and centrefires felt wrong to me.

I went for a Howa in .223 with a Howa Ambi-varminter stock for frankly no money which is a shooter and is getting better.

The FT-R has an amazing rep for out of the box accuracy Different beast.

Archived