Like a Hurricane

So the idea came to me (although someone says they prompted me....but I can't remember!!!) that with the upcoming 75th Battle of Britain anniversary that I should do something, and seeing the Eurofighter painted up to match a Hurricane (which I might add is my al time favourite plane), that I'd like to paint up a rifle as some sort of tribute thing.

As it happens, the local Squadron round here flew Hurricanes in this corner of England, so it all seemed apt.
Initially I was going to paint up a L1A1/FAL, but it turns out that the buttstock is rather small, and not suitable for what was/is planned.
Having a suitable donor rifle in the cupboard in pieces led me in the direction of my old Highpower rifle, which with the known eye issues, hasn't seen much use of late.
But with making a determined effort to shoot leftie and master it, I decided to resurrect the old girl.
So, after assembling the parts and getting to work, it now sports the current colour scheme. Battle of Britain colours (or pretty damn near to them.)
The brown is a combination of 3 different Cerakote browns and the green is OD Green.
This has taken all day top blast, paint, bake, mask, paint and reassemble, and while others like Baldie may have a more artistic touch, I am very pleased with it.
Details:
Sassen 20" 1:8 barrel, .223 Wylde Hbar profile
CLE DCM tube
A1 .040" front sight post
Geissele National Match trigger
CLE 1/2 MOA competition rear sight with Bob Jones hood, double pinned for tracking accuracy
Les Tam NM sling
One off left handed charging handle that took nearly a whole day to complete
The rife isn't quite finished, as there's still some detail work to carry out that is proving to be easier said than done.
With my Creedmoor coat away at Tenpoint9 Tailoring for conversion to left handed use, I'm very much looking forward to getting back into Highpower
Here it is :-)
image2%201_zpsmy8wubka.jpg
image31%201_zpswrge9yok.jpg
image41%201_zps4p0u2cis.jpg
image21%201_zpse400puew.jpg
image8%201_zpsr2x4q0ef.jpg
image61%201_zpssdx2sz4l.jpg
image11%201_zps3qhnqprz.jpg
image51%201_zpsemfpgfbh.jpg
image10%201_zpsd5kxxi7d.jpg
image9%201_zpskvaibj1h.jpg
image4%201_zpsupwws0lr.jpgimage6%201_zpsvtf04isg.jpg
image5%201_zpsjtoa04pj.jpg
Can't wait to finish and shoot it

Certainly different. What about some Invasion stripes?! :)

If I put D Day stripes on a Battle of Britain AR, the CSR plane spotters Squadron would strafe the living daylights out of me :lol:

As said, it's not quite finished yet. I'm awaiting the decals and some stencils

All a bit of fun really :)

Look nice Mark, if it was mine I'd try to add on a red, white and blue emblem like on the tail to finish it off.

Thanks,

As already said, I'm waiting on some stuff arriving

Here's the inspiration

Typhoon_Spitfire_3313608b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived