who makes the best die sets

nearly there

Any die set made using the same finish reamer as the chamber of the rifle for the seater / neck sizer and an equivalent resize reamer for a F/L die.

Anything made by your rifle builder - using Newlon die blanks as a suggestion.

Warner tool make some excellent dies if you send them a few fired cases they will make dies to match your chamber.

Willson in line dies (Arbour Press) are pretty good as a proprietary product as are Forster and Redding for 7/8ths x 14 Presses

In my experience with novice reloaders, more people make mistakes with Forster bump dies than any other brand.

When it comes to dies, keep it simple.

Get yourself a redding full length die set.

In my experience with novice reloaders, more people make mistakes with Forster bump dies than any other brand.

When it comes to dies, keep it simple.

Get yourself a redding full length die set.

Interesting, why so?

I agree with all the replies so far,but would emphasise Andrew's cautions.

I have used Lee,RCBS,Pacific ,Forster/Bonanza 'ordinary ' (non bushing,basic,dies).

Wilson Hand /arbor press dies,Jones 'custom ' dies;RCBS 'Competition' dies,Redding bushing dies.

Chamber reamer cut Newton custom dies.

I have never concluded I missed etc because of the dies.(and too many variables to know either way).

But nor have I shot varminting rifes with Newton/reamer dies,or serious longrange rifles without them....

(Hornet,17r,222r,223r,22 &6PPC,243w,6&7&30 BR,7x57,6.5x54,9x56,308,6.5x55AI,Shehane).

I would expect there to be an interaction effect-the better chambered/barreled rifles give more of their intrinsic potential with 'custom' dies (Wilson on up as above-'custom' being essential a cover term for more expensive)-the difference may be small,but worth the extra,where margins are likewise small.(Fclass,Bench Rest ,and any competitive range shooting.)

For more modest rifles-non custom made- the advantages of the more expensive dies are probably less,and for a varminting rifle to 250y,and even beyond that ,probably of little consequence, (1/4 moa less won't matter-it's a one shot game-and wind dominates.)

It should be reasonably clear too,that it's the rifle (barrel) that is the big determiner of accuracy and especially precision-that is not to deny that the bettter the dies ,the closer performance will come to the potential-but it is to say that potential might be quite modest (let's say 1/2 moa) and 'more expensive dies' will not buy bettter performance than that potential.

Whether the extra cost is justified is an individual decision- there are other factors to consider too.On balance,given the cost differential from basic to (say) redding (bushing-don't get carried away by 'neck tension etc-in a fairly basic factory rifle) is maybe a bit over £100,why not-it's a one off,and not really a lot-then you have peace of mind-the best you can get/do. Absolutely better will need £ks on a better rifle/scope etc.

That said, better dies are not just go fast stripes,and that includes the 'feel good' factor...but don't forget the premium priced Berger bullets if you really want best performance. But if you are shooting 1/2 moa groups-or whatever criteion of performance you think appropriate- remember dies will not guarantee a dramatic improvement. If you are shooting 'competitively' you probably can't afford not to invest in them.

Good shooting.

gbal

Forster do a nice two die set for 6.5 x 47 Lapua. It's got a basic full length resizing die and is at a good price.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/reloading-dies/rifle-dies/bench-rest-seater-full-length-die-set-6-5x47-lapua-sku749006754-37061-70080.aspx

Regards

JCS

There are lots of other options, but Forster would be my initial pick. Warner (mentioned above), Whidden, Hornady and others will produce dies based on fired brass. It is unfortunately quite easy to accumulate dies, but they can be sold again.

A related topic is lock rings. I recommend the Hornady lock rings.

Have fun.

JCS

I thought the idea of the neck bushing dies was ultimately work the brass less.

While neck sizing will reduce working the brass compared to full length sizing (until a full resize is needed),the benefits of a bushing neck over a non bushing/standard neck die are likely to be rather small in terms of further reduction in working the brass.Finessing neck tension yes,and does no harm to have the bushing option. I was trying to cover the options,and include costs-it all adds up,for a new reloader-and use may not justify at this time. Some consider a hunting rifle is probably better served by full length resize,for smoother reloads in field conditions (eg). CSR and some competition use might also consider this issue.(tactical rifles eg tend not to tight tolerance bolts,vulnerable to a bit of grit,nor need the very last iota of accuracy available,rather than easy slick magazine feed.) Horses for courses,again. :-)

gbal

Archived