Target scope for .308 <500yds

CameronWilson

Hi Guys,

I was wondering what your thoughts were on the following...

I'm just about to buy my first .308 for target shooting. I anticipate that the majority of the shots I'll be taking will be less than 500yds. To be honest most of the time it's going to be 100-200yds, with the odd competition at 300-400yds.

I'm considering 3 different scopes - each with their pros and cons...

#1 Kahles 6-24x/FFP/MRAD/MRAD

I've had a look through one of these, and the way they are set up really makes sense to me. This is balls-out option, that will leave me broke for a long long while!

#2 Vortex Viper PST 6-24x/FFP/MRAD/EBR-2C

I haven't had a chance to look through one of these, but by all accounts they have an excellent reputation. Like the Kahles, the FFP/MRAD option makes a lot of sense to me. Budget wise this is a stretch, but just doable. It does however mean that I'd need to knock any other shooting related expenditure on the head.

#3 Hawke Endurance 4-16x or 6-24x/SFP/MOA/.308

This is wild card. I was sceptical about the calibre specific reticles until I bought one for my .22LR subsonic, and found it to be absolutely spot-on. Given that I'm going to be home loading, I'm confident I'll be able to produce ammo that will match the reticle. I know the glass won't be up to the standards of the other two, but once zeroed I shouldn't have to worry about the turrets/magnification ever again, so tracking won't be an issue. The only concern is that the reticle only works at the maximum magnification (16x/24x), and at that magnification the exit pupil and eye relief could be problematic. I've also heard a lot of fellow shooters saying that they check their shot placement at 24x but always shoot at 10x. I wouldn't be able to do this with the Hawke – it would be 16x/24x or nothing.

Now I know the old adage about buying the scope first, and spending the change on the rifle - but at less than 500yds are the first two scopes really necessary?

Or to put it another way, for the price of the Kahles alone, I could buy both .223 & .308 rifles, Hawke scopes for each, and still have enough left over to make a decent start at either home loading or another .22LR practical/miniature rifle.

The kahles is a top quality optic - had one on test at plod school for a couple of years with no issues, only slight niggle is closest focus at max mag is 50m which is only an issue if you want to put it on a rimfire also. I would hold out for one of these but buy S/h on the forum. They do crop up.

To muddy the waters in general best bang for buck especially S/h would be a Nightforce Nxs (8-32x or 12-42x) they usually go for just under a grand S/h or a Sightron some models seem popular. These are 2fp scopes ( other than Nxs 5-15 ffp) so depends if you want / need the virtues of a ffp scope.

No experience of vortex to comment.

Get a 10-40 x 50 from Brian Fox for £130............... You don't really need an expensive scope for target shooting.

H/man

I have a Vortex on my AR and they are a good scope well worth the money, I went down the Hawke route when I bought my first rifle (a 308) and after a couple of months it was all over the place (turrets having no effects on the reticle). To give Hawke there due they did replace it twice, both times within a couple of weeks with no hassle, but it was a pain. Its on my 10-22 now. I think the old Buy once Cry once saying is well worth heeding.

The vortex I have is a 2.5 - 10- 32 FFP and its taught me you don't need huge magnification to shoot at distance. I use it in CSR and gallery shooting out to 600 yards and its been brilliant, you don't get the mirage and target acquisition issues you get with the high power scopes and the FFP makes its easy to measure the target and adjust or hold off any any magnification.

If you're happy with Chinese optics (Hawke) then save your money and get one of Brian Fox's 8-32 scopes for around £125. Lots of Diggle shooters start out with one of these and only change it when they know why they need to.

FFP? Go back and read the ultra-long thread on this..............................

Basically with the three scopes you have specified you've got top level (Kahles), mid-level (Vortex) and very much entry level (Hawke).

From personal experience:

• Kahles - superb.
  • Vortex - a bit of a lottery, some good, some terrible. I owned a 6-24x50 PST FFP for a few months, it was OK but I wouldn't buy another, replaced it with a Swarovski 6-24x50, totlly different ball game.
  • Hawke - I'd maybe put on on a .22 RF or air rifle, but certainly not on a .308 for reasons stated by another poster above.
To be honest, in my opinion this one's a no brainer really, but you might want to consider alternatives to the Kahles as well, e.g. Nightforce, or look for s/h Swarovski, Zeiss, S&B. Or even a new Sightron.

If you're happy with Chinese optics (Hawke) then save your money and get one of Brian Fox's 8-32 scopes for around £125. Lots of Diggle shooters start out with one of these and only change it when they know why they need to.

FFP? Go back and read the ultra-long thread on this..............................

Do foxy's scopes track ok Vince?

Khales out of the 3 youd mentioned . A few too many storeys of vortex going duff , hawk on a 308 ? That chaps had 2x replacement . Thats a no brainer for Khales bud .

I have a sightron s111 8-32 which is ideal for this range hardly used i am going to sell, you can have first shout at it.

PM me if you want to know more.

I have a Fox 10-40 x 50 (currently on a 6BR)..........brilliant scope for the money. It also spent some time on a 308 match rifle with no problems whatsoever.

H/man

Archived