Ruger surprises everyone...

MarinePMI

Sounds interesting , seems to tick all the boxes with that level of accuracy , I guess it will be £1400 retail when it gets here so add a £750 scope and you are away :)

Any Rumours on a lefty version ?? I managed to get a lefty Scout and love it.!

On the thread on Snipershide someone emailed Ruger asking that and they replied they had no plans on a lefty version just now.

Interesting read and ticks some boxes, but does it actually shoot that well or is the write up biased.

Certainly one to watch

agreed-bias? or just not fully tested yet.... see the UKV thread :

"New Ruger Precision Rifle" post *38,yesterday.

Better yet,the actual full Accurate Shooter Bulletin report(s),as referenced there.

gbal

• 4 weeks later...

I got to play with one of these in 6.5 today before the rains came. My buddy got it last Saturday. It was giving 1/4 to 1/2 MOA with factory ammo off of and Atlas. His dies will be here tomorrow to see if he can duplicate the results.

If you like shooting an AR, you'll like this rifle.~Andrew

Certainly ticks a few boxes.

Will be interesting to see what the actual price is when they arrive in the UK and if the importer will gouge?

Seen £1400 banded round - wonder if that was incl VAT?

T

As someone who has never realy liked the look of Ar type rifles and not shot one this Ruger strangely appeals to me in the 6.5. If only I could sneak another rifle past the missus this year.

I am not a huge fan of AR's myself (despite having a very accurate AR-10) but this rifle is remarkably comfortable -even off hand.~Andrew

I shot that 6,5 again yesterday. Average group size with it's owner shooting was just under .4inches. With me, .6" to .7" but always with 4 of the five in a tight, over lapping cluster. Recoil with factory or identical handloads was negligible. Felt like a .222! ~Andrew

Would love to see some pics of the set up mate alongside with targets ammo etc, if you get the opportunity next time.

Many thanks,

CZV

If the drizzle holds on today we will be out again tomorrow as it will be too wet to be in the fields. If there are no objections to the pics, I'll post some. He (the owner) was making noise about stretching the Ruger's legs so it might be some steel banging. He has a 1650 yard range on his place. We were talking last night and he feels that this rifle may truly be a quarter MOA rifle with the loads tuned a bit. Right now he is FL resizing, seating to Factory OAL and crimping -using the factory listed charge tossed with a measure. As he put's it, "Best not mess with what's working." He has a point.~Andrew

Sorry. No pics on that trip out. We are going out on Sunday and I'll see if i can talk him into it. I got the monthly statement from the shop I ordered my .308 RPR from and found I was billed for the rifle. I'm thinking that indicates it might be in. I'll call them tomorrow.~Andrew

PS: I am hearing nothing but good from the guys who have them...308 or 6.5. The one fellow with a 243 somehow hasn't managed to shoot it yet! :blink:

They are pretty impressive. He told me he punched his 10" swinger at 600 during his lunch break. He is a farmer and was running a combine out in the country so he ran it out against a far rise and shot prone with no previous zero -just using the data provided by his calculator after being fed the specs of the Hornady 140 grain -which is what his handloads were patterned after. He scored 10 consecutive his starting cold bore in a 10 mph cross wind. He was happy about that until I mentioned that a 10" plate at 600 was considered one of the 'easy' shots by these guys in the Long Range Precision rifle game! <_<

The 308 is a 1-10" twist and I have a plethora of bullets ready. I'm pretty excited about the prospect of getting it. Alas! I drove into the city to see if it was in and they said no. Processing the credit cards was part of their "special order" policy. I was only mildly ...miffed... :mad: ~Andrew

Well, I picked up the rifle last night with no problems other than other customers trying to buy it from me as I was leaving the store. I didn't do much with it last night and today it rained from the time I mounted the scope til after dark. No test until tomorrow afternoon. In short, the RPR feels like a heavy AR but the trigger on this rifle is really nice. A first 'stage' and then a light, crisp let off with a barely perceptible creep.

One disappointment was when i tried to swap out the Ruger stock for a MagPul "PRS" this evening. It won't swap without changing the extension tube. I didn't feel like pulling that off my AR-10 so I ordered one from DPMS. Twenty bucks and it will be here on Wednesday. I can use the Ruger stock til then. Both the Ruger and the Mag Pul stocks have the same "foot-print" in profile but the MagPul has no levers to (potentially)catch on things. I may fall in love with the Ruger stock but I'm already accustomed to the MagPul.~Andrew

I shot my Ruger today and I must say I was impressed. Recoil was minimal, as per Ruger's promise, and accuracy was stellar. I showed up at a friends family ranch with a scope mounted and no zero whatsoever. I roughed it in on a rock at 120 yards and fine tuned the windage on paper at 50. (the only place a target could be set up) The next target was 700 yards. I guessed at the come-up and eventually put 5 consecutive hits in a 10" gong. The misses were, according to the spotter, all in about a 6 inch circle.The next and last target was 811 yards. The wind across the canyon was shifty -running the reverse direction as on the near side. My first rounds hit down wind from the 10" x 18" swinger by about 10 inches. I walked it over and finished with three consecutive hits. By this time I was down to 9 rounds left so i reloaded and got fooled by a dead spot in the wind for my first shot I corrected and put six consecutive shots on with my 8th just skimming by down wind. I corrected a tad and centered the gong with my last shot.

While this might not impress the experienced long range shooters here, it was more impressive than it might seem for a couple of reasons. First: I am truly an amateur at long range shooting. Second: I am usually awful shooting off a bipod with most rifles. With this Ruger, however, it seemed easy. Recoil was straight rearward and I was seeing my hits and calling my shots before the spotter could. No muzzle hop, No surprises. Lastly, the ammunition. I was using 6 or 7 times-fired SBS surplus military brass, well prepped, with a 165 grain Hornady SST atop a near max charge of IMR4064. The primer was standard Federal, and the load was crimped at factory recommended OAL. Basically, my standard hunting load for the 308; not specially primped match ammo.

So take it as you read it. The guys with experience will probably be able to divine more from my experiences than I can. I'm loading fresh brass and heading out tomorrow.~Andrew

PS: FWIW, my buddy with the 6.5 Creedmore punched the data into his little computer and scored cold bore hits at 811 yards. In fact, he never missed at that range. His first time past 500. He is very happy with his RPR.

Archived