grs rifle stock

I'll watch this one closely as the ones I've seen look really good and might be tempted myself. Fondled one the other week and really like the grey and black stripe effect.

Looks a very good product, cost apparently around £500.

Really like the GRS stocks. I have a few my favourite being the hybrid as it rides bags better.

I also like the long range but that's no longer available

20131022_084528_zps6a6a6dde.jpg

Hunting

DSC_0053-1.jpg

got one on my 204,very well made easy adjustments and feel and look great.only thing i would change is forend could do with being a littlle longer but a long barrel /mod don't help with that

Ive got a couple, this is one on my 20BR.

If Im honest it took me a little while to adapt to them and I lost a bit of accuracy for a week or so until I got used to the shape of the grip, now I like it very much although I would like the fore end of mine which is the adjustable hunter to be a bit flatter, then again thats something I could sort myself. The one pictured was supposed to be black but it has a hint of dark blue about it in the light.

IMG_0764.jpg

What's the thoughts on bedding these? Is it essential or are they ok without?

Both of mine are not bedded, they both will shoot 1/4" if I do my bit. The rifles were this accurate before I had GRS stock and since putting them into these stocks unbedded the accuracy hasn't changed. I torque the bolts to 35lbs front and back.

Both of mine are not bedded, they both will shoot 1/4" if I do my bit. The rifles were this accurate before I had GRS stock and since putting them into these stocks unbedded the accuracy hasn't changed. I torque the bolts to 35lbs front and back.

Thanks Al, useful to know. I looked at these a while ago but cost of bedding on top of stock price put me off. Looked closely at chassis systems for a while (KRG X-ray in particular) and will hopefully get one when funds allow. Maybe still go second hand GRS if bedding not absolutely necessary.

Most stocks will work unbedded. However, Bedding almost always improves them. Never yet seen one shoot worse.

Its absolutely pointless torquing screws on an unbedded wooden stock, as they simply compress. At the very least, fit pillars if using a torque wrench. Without them, the next time you torque up, it will be different.

I've had a couple of GRS stocks and would have another quite happily, the canted pistol grip quickly feels natural. Here's a quick pic of mine shortly after the rifle was rebarreled at Brock & Norris.

8184ABEB-155F-44C0-8613-6C0895A89F9E_zps

Most stocks will work unbedded. However, Bedding almost always improves them. Never yet seen one shoot worse.

Its absolutely pointless torquing screws on an unbedded wooden stock, as they simply compress. At the very least, fit pillars if using a torque wrench. Without them, the next time you torque up, it will be different.

I agree it would do no harm to fit pillars or even better have someone make a nice job of full bedding and as you say its unlikely accuracy would suffer as a result. However, I have also spoken with three different makers of laminate gunstocks who have all agreed that torquing the action down is a good thing because laminate doesn't compress in the same way as wood, the fibre structure, orientation and the fact there are boding resins within the laminate make it so much harder and less likely to distort compared to natural wood.

Both of my rifles shoot to the same POA after the stocks have been removed and then refitted with the same torque applied to the stock bolts, I guess that proves its effectiveness to a level that is good enough for me although I accept Im no 1000yd expert. :)

I think it would be fair to sat that these GRS stocks are a drop in solution and that they will provide accuracy at least as good as the factory stock it replaces if not a little better due to better shooter position. I have Rem 700 SA's and they needed a little relief around the trigger slot for the Jewell trigger but I hear that normal with many stocks, otherwise it was an easy swap and a nice improvement.

I have an "adjustable Hunter" on a Tikka M595.................really nice to hold once set up, and the canted hand grip is extremely comfortable.

This was a mint second-hand one for £300. The fore-end is a bit short, and although it's a Hunter, the seller found it a bit too heavy/large for hunting. OK for target shooting, though.

I have a Hybrid on order for another M595 I have.

Baldie's right when he says the laminate will compress, but the inletting is such a precise fit that you just have to nip the action screws up, you're not putting a wheel on a car !!

The holes for the action screws could easily be opened up and a couple of pillars epoxied in if you feel the need.

H/man

I was going to ask the same question.

gaz can I be rude and ask how much your stock set you back?

I had every extra and top spec I could I wanted it to be the dogs nuts lol plus full bedding job didn't get much change from £800 but it's just right for me, but I like the idea of going there and trying them all to see what suits you the best as what I had in mind was nothing like that but that felt the best by far and you can have it built to what ever spec you want

ACE8E702-EB1A-4E63-A6A8-EB3E204F7CE1.jpg

7B2F1F5B-F753-4D23-910C-47933F8E9D37.jpg

7FD31E32-2E1D-4FC7-ADA6-8920A14CF7A4.jpg

1E283E2D-2211-4E9A-BDCB-92FCE8C99F8E.jpg

4B9D4699-B078-4F9D-ACB5-996BF26EC525.jpg

BD115745-293B-4806-AC27-90B56F6AE2B5.jpg

D3F01DFB-073A-465B-A1C9-59117CFC3F31.jpg

Take your pic ;)

Gaz

Cheers gaz

I did go up there once to get a couple of sakos bedded but didnt look at the stocks while I was there, that was a few years ago now he was in a barn conversion near audley

• 4 weeks later...

'Hi. I am new here.

I did a lot of shooting in my youth then spent a long time shooting for the Queen! When I left the military I got back into real shooting and reloading. Some varmint shooting and paper.

I am just getting myself a T3 varmint in 204 and I need to make some space ( my wife tells me) in the gun cabinet. So I am getting rid of my Rem 700 in 17 Fireball. So I have a very good condition GRS Sporter stock in forest green finish that I plan to sell separately from the gun.

Archived