best/most accurate sub sonic .22lr ammo?

sion

I've decided to sell my hmr as its simply not getting any use since I bought my .204.

As such I'm looking to improve my .22, I would like some advice on which subsonic ammo is best.

ie something similar to eley TENEX in subsonic form if there is such a thing?

If not then I guess I'll have to test all the different brands.

Thanks in advance,

Sion

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The quietest and most really subsonic/accurate round I have found is the RWS subsonic hollowpoint.It will generally hold an inch at 75 yards most of the time.If you want the best and most accurate 22lr ammo then all the match ammo is subsonic or rather should be so check out eley match/tenex or lapua midas offerings.If you want or think that .22lr hollow point ammo does hollow/soft/ point or ballistic tip centrefire type rapid expansion ,,,its way way short of anything like it.

I have retrieved shot hollowpoint heads from various materials out to 100 yards and they plainly do not reliably deform anymore than match type heads so I would and do use match ammo and head shoot all of the time,,,? regds,,,O

It's 'try and see'; but I would not expect any sub sonic to approach even the more modest priced Eley/RWS/Lapua 'club' grades-the names change-and certainly not the premium Tenex/similar grades.

The quality control just isn't there...and the sub is probably intrinsically less accurate,as currently made?

I'd start with the above three manufacturers (Eley,RWS,Lapua),and would not dismiss match grade ammo,if you really need quietish moderated performance,especially at longer 22rf ranges (75+y eg)-not sure HP subs would be very different at the low velocities remaining at such distances,and accuracy may be more reliable...

gbal

I used to use Eley subs in one gun and Win subs in another- the two guns liked different ammo.

I'd heard accuracy could be improved by sorting large batches according to rim thickness; I couldn't convince myself of a difference.

I switched to match ammo, which is more accurate and kills hjust as humanely as hollow-points.

I tested a variety of brands: not all were subsonic. I now use Eley Club Extra.

Here's a sample through my out-of- the-box Sako Finnfire Varmint, 23" barrel, SAK mod, off the bench at 55m using a bipod and back bag:

auzg.jpg

After a brief, non-scientific test (and considering that I'm not the world's best rifleman), I got these results:

Remington:

Group size: 0.94"
Average MV: 1057
SD: 16

Eley:

Group size: 0.65"
Average MV: 1059
SD: 7

Geco:

Group size: 0.95"
Average MV: 1125
SD: 14

CCI:

Group size: 0.66"
Average MV: 1066
SD: 11

Winchester:

Group size: 0.98"
Average MV: 1049
SD: 17

If I ever get a rabbit permission, I'll be using the Eley.

maximus otter

Here's a sample through my out-of- the-box Sako Finnfire Varmint, 23" barrel, SAK mod, off the bench at 55m using a bipod and back bag:

Good to see some real life groups rather than "internet" groups.

Here's a short video I made comparing 6 different batches of .22lr ammunition, 3 solids and 3 HP's all subsonic. Shot at 65 yards in windy conditions, 30 consecutive shots, all shots would have hit a golf ball. As expected really, Eley Tenex gave the best group. Not a scientific test I know but it helped me weed out the no hopers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqRw_xDtrFc

Wow!

Didn't expect this many replies, thanks a lot everyone.

I didn't realise TENEX was subsonic, I will get some ordered asap, and i'll post pics of the results.

The image of your groups MO really helps as does your vid 1066 thank you.

Thanks again guys,

Sion

Wow!

Didn't expect this many replies, thanks a lot everyone.

I didn't realise TENEX was subsonic, I will get some ordered asap, and i'll post pics of the results.

The image of your groups MO really helps as does your vid 1066 thank you.

Thanks again guys,

Sion

Check the price before you order a thousand - It'll make your eyes water. :)

Just checked henry krank, £20.50 per 100. Cheaper than hmr and hopefully I'll get a bit off at my local!

BD I mainly shoot targets or go for head shots so solids are'nt a problem.

Thanks

BD I mainly shoot targets or go for head shots so solids are'nt a problem.

Then I really recommend you try the SK standard plus before you try Tenex - it's quality stuff (made by Lapua) and significantly cheaper than tenex.

OK thanks, I'll have a chat with my RFD and see what he can get and costings.

General consensus is eley subs, cci or SK standard are the ones to try. Oh and if you can afford it, TENEX!

+1 for SK/Lapua.

Very impressed with it for my bog standard 20" CZ452. Seems to be very consistent. I've found Winchester/CCI tend to get flyers quite often. Not terrible, but not as good as SK

I think first and foremost you need to accept that nobody here can give you the answer you are looking for i.e. which .22 subsonic ammo is best.

All you can really get from the replies here is that there are a number of acceptably accurate brands out there. To go further than this you need to try them all and see which one your rifle likes and whether or not that round is suitable for the task in hand.

Ive had a number of .22 rifles and no two have shot best with the same ammo. I had a CZ 455 that was stunning with Winchester subs yet Ive not had any other rifle shoot them well since. The stuff made by Lapua under the SK banner is very good, either SK Standard or SK Match, RWS HP, most if not all Eleys shoot well but again your rifle will have a favourite. Ive recently acquired a Sako P94S Finnfire, by far the best of the rounds I have mentioned in this rifle was Eley Sport. I was hoping the SK stuff would be good as I have another rifle that likes them but the Eleys were the best.

I have a CZ452 which really loves SK Standard and again it shoots them much better than any hollow point hunting round but sadly unless taking head shots I dont find it good enough for rabbits as I had a few cleanly chest shot bunnies run into cover which I dont like. Since this is my truck gun I had to settle for RWS HP which although not quite as accurate dumps more energy into a chest shot and stops them in their tracks. When Im collecting fox bait on windy nights I much prefer the ease and speed of a chest shot, it means I miss far less :)

The good thing is its always fun to spend an afternoon finding out which ammo works best and it won't cost you a fortune in the process. I spend a lot of time and money these days on centre fire reloading and shooting but a day out with the rimmy still takes some beating :)

As others have said, SK stuff is really good. I've used 10s of 1000s of Standard Plus and it's always been good. Recently I've tried some SK Rifle Match and it seems to be slightly better and only marginally more expensive.

Totally agree with you BA, nothing is quite as fun as shooting a .22 rimfire. Must be the quietness or maybe the very low cost.

Also, I know every rifle is different but I just wanted a rough idea of what people find the best in their rifles, might save new a few quid and time by not testing crap. Then again maybe my old cz might like crap!!

Thanks,

Sion