best/most accurate sub sonic .22lr ammo?

sion

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Didn't know that, that's interesting.

Is that to do with the coating?

Is that the same with centre fires too?

Once you have sorted out the likely contenders, its a good idea to put a box of each through it to see if the groups tighten up. I was testing a few years ago with my semi for a better round. As I put a box of rws hp through it you could see the groups visibly shrink as I emptied a box through it.

If you look over the forums historically, most cz's .22lrs like either eley or Winchester.

What rifle were you using bewsh and what were the conditions like?

Sako Quad, newly chopped to 12.5"

6x44 Nikko scope

roughly 50yds off rolled up rifle sleeve on roof of car

fairly still day, nothing of note

was doing it to check a cheap replacement scope as one had died on me rather than bench rest groups

whizzed through them fairly quickly as I was short on time!

bottom left target is me walking it to zero

bottom right is actually two groups (line splits them) as I changed zero to centre them

CCI segmented ammo has never been good in that rifle, very tight to chamber and mediocre accuracy

RWS is a good round, smelly, but accurate, I stuck with WinSubs as no-one round here stocks RWS!

• 2 weeks later...

It was such a cracking morning earlier today I thought I would shoot a few groups with a new batch of Eley sub HP's. Quite pleased with the results, shot with my Sako Finnfire from the ground with a bipod at 68 yards, cheap Fox 2.5-10x50 scope. 6 x 5 shot groups, 30 consecutive shots, average .9 moa.

A couple of good groups at .5moa, just disappointing they aren't all like that.

Snap_2015.06.26_11h12m39s_001_zps7tljnrr

th_20150626_083228_zpsewldskbx.jpgth_20150626_085218_zpsrlxbu6uw.jpgth_20150626_090611_zpsom7kgfjh.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The latest edition of Sporting Rifle (on W.H. Smith's shelves now) reviews and rates several .22 LR subsonics.

Eley comes out on top for accuracy (way ahead) and expansion.

There: that's saved you £4.75!

maximus otter

The latest edition of Sporting Rifle (on W.H. Smith's shelves now) reviews and rates several .22 LR subsonics.

maximus otter

Were there any adverts for Eley ammo in the same issue, Scott? ;-)

I wish someone had the resources to conduct a statistically valid, adequately powered study to answer questions like "what is the best .22LR subsonic ammo?" Obviously, the results would not be transferable to every rifle, so you'd need to test a selection of guns...

Starts to become a major undertaking.

Were there any adverts for Eley ammo in the same issue, Scott? ;-)

I wish someone had the resources to conduct a statistically valid, adequately powered study to answer questions like "what is the best .22LR subsonic ammo?" Obviously, the results would not be transferable to every rifle, so you'd need to test a selection of guns...

Starts to become a major undertaking.

I always think this is one of the best .22 ammunition tests carried out.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/22lr-rimfire-ammo-comparison-test/

maximus otter

Thanks, bought the mag to see the results and would you believe it there's an advert for eley subs on the same page!

My rfd will only get win or fiocchi subs in, not enough demand for match stuff. Looks like I'll have to wait till the midland to test my rifle with anything else.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread, its very interesting seeing the differences between bullets and more importantly different rifles.

Thanks,

Sion

• 2 weeks later...

Had he opportunity to try out my new (to me, cheers Stacka) CZ452 yesterday, after a nice deep clean I ran through some Eley sport to re foul the barrel, after 4 5rd groups I started into the subs (Eley) that he gave me with the rifle. Another couple of groups in and I shot one of those fluke ' 1 hole plus flier' groups and settled on this.

b9bc38e1f215d33ea51939a428231f3a_zpsbh7f

Indoor range, 25m

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Thread resurrection!

What .22 subs are you using , whats best for your rifle and how much?

My CZ 452 is shooting best as follows:

1. RWS SUB SONIC 40gr - £6.50 PER 50 - sub 1" @50yds

2. Fiocchi Sub Sonic 40 gr £5.00 per 50

3. CCI HP Sub sonics 40gr £6.00 per 50

4.Winchester 42.gr £6.50 per 50

5. Eley Subsonics   38gr £6.50  - 2" groups at 50 yds

Here’s four back to back groups, 40 yards off s bipod on a bench, Rimfire Magic VQ 12.5. Each group is ten shots, the ones on the orange stickies were Winchester SuperX, the two tighter groups on their own were CCI hp subs. I’m impressed with the CCI. Think we charge 5.90 a box for the Winnie’s, and about a tenner a hundred for the CCI. 55F9979C-D00B-4610-91C4-C3B37C5B885D.thumb.jpeg.03d18a49f1060b76a4183a216e142f3a.jpeg

I did some ammo testing recently as I was finding the Eley subs had become inconsistent.

As above I found cci’s printing fantastic groups at 50 yards. But when I pushed the range to 80 yards the target would look like it had been hit with a 410.

I settled on Eley Edge as they were printing consistent 1 inch groups at 100 yards.

This is through a Weihrauch HW60j with a 14 inch barrel.

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, No i deer said:

I will have to try some of these CCI subs.i like the look of them groups.the best I've used since the eley subs went crap in my cz450 is winny 42gr subs.best of a bad bunch

Try some RWS subs as well , you wont be disappointed in their performance , bit pricey though. 

Me and two mates used to swear by eley subs when they were 40gr but since they turned to **** we need to start looking at the better stuff cos non of our rifles (2x cz 455's and a 453) can get near 1" groups at 100yds with any of the common offerings like we all could before 

interestingly though although most people on the net are saying eley have got worse my 2 local rfd's swear more are switching to them now