Gun Trade Discrimination

Danpd

Hi all,

I'm just flabbergasted by the response I just received from a metal-working cutting fluid supplier.

As part of a current drive to improve manufacturing processes, and new equipment purchases, i'm looking at switching from neat cutting oils to water-soluble coolants. As such my research led me to a product called Vasco 7000 produced by acompany called Blaser Swisslube, solely distributed in the UK by a company called Jemtech. I enquired yesterday about the product and was provided with helpful knowledgeable service, and received a prompt quotation, which I accepted. I tried to contact them today to get BACS details, and was told that the sales advisor who had dealt with my enquiry was busy, and would call me shortly. I then received the email response below.

Hi Patrick,

I just tried to call but couldn’t get through, so thought I would email you.

Further to our correspondence yesterday, we have an issue with this order and will be unable to supply you with our products.

We understand and like your business model and that you are producing quality goods for your market sector. However, as with all new customers we have a look to see what the customer is producing and the kind of business they are in in order to gain insights about the best products and service for them. Having done this, as an organisation we are not comfortable selling to the market you are involved in.

We’re not saying anything bad about yourself personally or your business and we’re sure it is all legal and above board, but we have a different standpoint on it from you is all, so we cannot supply to you.

I’m happy to give you my MD’s mobile number and email and he would be happy to discuss it with you further. His name is Steve Coull and his number is ***** 182 806 and email is *****@jemtech.co.uk

I am also happy to give you The European sales manager at Blasers email and mobile number if you wish to speak with him further about it. His name is Jesper Nyborg, email is *******@blaser.com and his mobile number is **** 2068 6534.

I am sorry I can’t help you further with this, and wish you all the best.

Kind regards,

Jon

Jon Gibson

Sales Advisor

What are everyones thoughts on this?

this company supplies a lot of high-end Aerospace engineering companies in the UK, and so-undoubtedly there products are being used in the manufacture of Jet-fighters, missile components etc etc...... but because I'm involved in rifle-building, they are not prepared to deal with me.

contact the European sales manager ... Start at the top & work backwards,

Your argument is valid, & I bet they haven't got an issue.... Just the local dealer has !

Or it's the quarry that they don't like... Humans are fine but not fluffy, furry creatures

Maybe they're worried about animal right activists stoning them on their way to work.

You're producing sporting rifle not military weapon.

As you say sounds a bit two faced.

Two opinions on this,

As a business they have the right to bar sales to anyone or industry they deem unfit because of ehtical, political or legal reasons.

but

As a business surely they should look at opening markets and gaining sales where thy can find them!

Personally I would contact their senior management and make your case and then move on to another supplier

Alan

Whilst Alan is correct in that businesses may choose with whom they do business it really does stick in my throat. We are all the time being discriminated against because of the industry in which we trade. This despite the hoops we have to jump through to even get into this position etc. From High Street banks closing down accounts for RFD's to this new low stinks. Especially when they are so two faced about it - for example Eley have just been bought for £42 million - funded and backed by the Lloyds Banking Group, and as you rightly say this companies products will no doubt somewhere along the line be involved in the manufacture of weapons etc far higher up the chain than ours. I would be tempted to take it to the company's source and see if it isn't an issue in the Uk with an anti putting a stop to it locally.

take it as far and as high as your time will allow , it's grossly unfair and there business model sucks ! if what you suggest is true about their stuff being used in military equipment manufacture then they need to refuse to deal with them to? which I doubt they will because it would financially ruin them!

jemtech rings a bell with me ? I'm going to check with accounts and if they are on my suppliers list they will be sent a letter removing them and a polite explanation why!

Update.

I have had a long telephone discussion with the MD. He is a reasonable man, and the main issue was to do with pictures of dead animals on my Facebook business page. He agreed that there may indeed be double standards at play in their decision. He Is going to phone me tomorrow after giving it more consideration, but the tone of the conversation was very cordial.

I will let you know more tomorrow hopefully.

don't give it a second thought,sure there will be others who will provide a similar product that will deal with you

second this , its really idiotic that they swayed to this decision , but they may have a reasonable reason . Id like to know why ? Id also like to know why oswald shot jfk ? But that a different thing altogether ! Tim out :ph34r:

jemtech rings a bell with me ? I'm going to check with accounts and if they are on my suppliers list they will be sent a letter removing them and a polite explanation why!

SWEEET - I hope they are :D

As a trade we are actively discriminated against by the big corporations and multi nationals from all quarters on a daily basis, they are all doing their utmost to appear above board and politically correct on the surface regardless of what they really do. Oddly one thing I have noticed is the small to medium family run businesses and true UK based and owned companies are often pro gun trade and will go out of their way to help people in our line of work.

As an example we use Caldo Oils, a family run British company with no qualms about dealing with the gun trade and they should be able to supply Titanium specific soluble oils such as XAA and XLF off the shelf.

"Having done this, as an organisation we are not comfortable selling to the market you are involved in."

Hiding behind the "organisation" is usually a smoke screen because they don't want to tell you who objected and it is often just one, influential person with their own agenda and bias.

The best way to counter this is to go as far to the top of the organisation as you can and get their support, which will then cascade down to the level you normally deal with. On the way, you may find out who threw the spanner in. They may still try and make it difficult for you, especially once they realise you went over their head to fix the problem, but that's company politics and you have to play them at their own game sometimes.

Whatever you do, don't let them get away with it!

The issue has now been resolved.

I'm glad for once that common sense, reason, and non-biased dialogue was able to result in an amicable solution.

Mods, please can you remove this thread as I don't see any further need for its existence.

Good resolution.

To slightly paraphrase Winston Churchill,most people can appreciate common sense,reason and non biased calm dialogue,and do the right thing.

The only problem is that some try everything else first.

gbal

Archived