Cone bolt face now available

Cone bolt faces are now available on all my actions when ordered as a single shot at no extra charge.

IMG_0631_zps76a04a55.jpg

This is a .223 I did this morning.

IMG_0632_zps7646150f.jpg

On small caliber rounds like 223 etc, when you throw one in the action and attempt to close it on a bolt face like a standard remington, the cartridge or bullet will foul the edge of the bolt nose recess or chamber, resulting in the gun jamming.

You can throw any round in the gun and ram the bolt home with a cone bolt face.

Only in larger calibers. Because the flat part of the bolt face is now nearer the middle of the cartridge, it has to be at least 308 sized for the bolt to hit the base of the case on the flat, otherwise the cone pushes the round down and not forward.

The only gun I know in repeater and coned is the Tubb 2000. This works so well because the bolt is only .600" in diameter , thus putting the cartridges nearer the bore line in the first place.

Just the same as a normal bolt face. The only difference is that the cone has to be set off the bolt face first by a combination of a measurement/equation and then feeler gauges.

The other advantage of cone bolt face actions is that the bolt nose is centralised to the barrel bore.

I leave a .005" gap between cone and barrel, though can be larger depending on application.

Headspace like any other using feeler gauge - or make a dedicated ring to measure off..

Either way works well.

Most quality actions use cone bolt for single shot applications - works well.

How far is the case sticking out the rear of the chamber Dave? I recently did a .223 with a coned bolt and had to put a flat in the bottom of the cone like a Barnard because with the smaller diameter of the .223 case the intersection point with the cone is further forward than with a .308 sized case, leaving the web exposed.

How far is the case sticking out the rear of the chamber Dave? I recently did a .223 with a coned bolt and had to put a flat in the bottom of the cone like a Barnard because with the smaller diameter of the .223 case the intersection point with the cone is further forward than with a .308 sized case, leaving the web exposed.

Hi guys , niel , didn't realize you had to do that to my action ( if thats the one your talking about ) , but i can tell you like daves its Fkn superb to use . I love the way you just roll a round into the bolt raceway and simply close the bolt when a shots on . Im still so chuffed its one sweet action ! Out tomorrow to slot some crows on drill ! :P

No problems at all Neil. 0.150" of protrusion and case web fully supported. Confirmed on firing several different brands yesterday.

Archived