best primer seater

ergid

Sinclair or K&M, they are single feed but very good to use.

You also get a good amount of "feel" from them too, which is useful

Spud can get you either

+1 on the Sinclair/similar -it's single load,and quite expensive (£100?)The Lee can be a little fiddly ,but it does a great job for a whole lot less (£25?).Handy if you are doing hundreds.Sinclair best for small runs,and you feel you've used the best,which matters to some.If there is a difference in the result,in terms of quality reloads,it won't show without top quality other tools and components (and rifle).Best to try one and see if you like the feel of it.

Gbal

+1 on the Sinclair/similar -it's single load,and quite expensive (£100?)The Lee can be a little fiddly ,but it does a great job for a whole lot less (£25?).Handy if you are doing hundreds.Sinclair best for small runs,and you feel you've used the best,which matters to some.If there is a difference in the result,in terms of quality reloads,it won't show without top quality other tools and components (and rifle).Best to try one and see if you like the feel of it.

Gbal

Gbal, I'm contemplating a hand primer, and was looking at the latest Lee XR. What's "fiddly" with the Lee version?

Cheers

Jamie

Gbal, I'm contemplating a hand primer, and was looking at the latest Lee XR. What's "fiddly" with the Lee version?

Cheers

Jamie

I have the older Lee,and like it,as I do the single feed Sinclairs.'Fiddly' isn't quite right,if you set it up right-ie get the primers oriented and the plastic top on securely-that's the 'fiddly' preparation,but once done-easy enough-it's good for 100+

The Lee gives surprisingly good feel,and has never let me down-nor had the sinclair,but I just use that for small runs of premium ammo.I would not be without a Lee, especially at their price,and ease of large/small and shell heads,used the same two for forty years,though one broke it's pull handle once.A great piece of kit-I would imagine the newer XR is even better,but have not used it-happy with the older pair of Lee Autoprimes I have,and will use the sinclair if I want to feel top equipment-not necessarily better,and really quite expensive.Get a Lee,get something fancy if you want top tools,tho' It's not necessary here.Great value/performance-it seats primers well.( Dial guage single tools might be useful to those at the edge,who are stretching their cases/primer pockets-but not for normal reloading).

You may never need anything else-the Lee just works.

Gbal

Is that the Lee hand primer?

Never had a problem and I personally think it is the best value for money hand priming tool out there.

Are you sure it's not broken or otherwise defective?

I've loaded many thousands of primers, both large and small, without a problem. If mine broke I'd have another in a flash.

Never had a problem and I personally think it is the best value for money hand priming tool out there.

I've loaded many thousands of primers, both large and small, without a problem. If mine broke I'd have another in a flash.

Yep

Thanks Gbal and others for your replies, looks like it's the Lee XR for me! :)

Jamie

thanks for all the reply"s,

I can't see anything broken ,but the lid keeps coming loose and primers come up sideways when and into the primer pocket os the case.

thanks for all the reply"s,

I can't see anything broken ,but the lid keeps coming loose and primers come up sideways when and into the primer pocket os the case.

Yes,what I called 'fiddly' in an earlier post.

The lid got so loose,or ill fitting after 25 years,I often use it without the lid-a bit liable to invert some primers,so you have to keep a check on,ditto just before pushing primer home-and check you have the right size pin (small/large) for the primers you are using.

Taping the lid on helps no end,if it's loose.

Complerte cure is a new one.

Gbal

I like doing it on the my reloading table !!! Have used an old RCBS bench primer for years now its screwed to the table doesn,t move and gives superb feel ,,,,,think you can still buy them but I think they are quite expensive now? I,d snap an old one up if you saw one SH,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,O

i have the lee xt and forster bench mounted one here if thats any help

Spud,

I presume I'd have to buy a .223 shell holder with the Lee Auto Prime XR?

How much would you charge for the Lee XR Auto Primer with the .223 shell holder including first class recorded post?

Cheers

Jamie

I have a bench mounted Forsters primer seater,brilliant bit of kit,lovely feel to it

hi ,where did you get yours,just been on youtube ,the Forester looks just what Im after.

thanks.

Archived