Barrel Makers??

I'm ready to put the order in for a new barrel for my 6.5x47 build. My initial choice was Bartlein because I have heard some great reports from them. But my gunsmith is having trouble getting barrels from them as of late so I'm looking at different options.

So what barrels are the best in your opinion? Of course money is a factor so what I'm looking for is a barrel that is good value but doesn't sacrifice accuracy for price.

I'm leaning towards Lothar Walther.

I've a few of Borders (3 in total) a .260, .338 and .50 - all shoot and glad to support a British barrel maker. Was disappointed to hear a certain British rifle manufacturer has switched to Lothar but I'm sure they have their reasons. Certainly not heard anything bad about them. You've also got Pacnor and True Flite to consider if you can't get your Bartlein. Begarra if you want cheap and cheerful (whilst still very capable).

Personally I would always lean towards a cut-rifled barrel such as Krieger,Bartlein,Brux,Rock, Border etc... you get what you pay for in terms of internal dimensions And twist rate, and they aren't that much more expensive.

Norfresh,

Listen to your 'Smith' as he is the one who's going to have to work with the barrel blank and, more importantly, ensure the finished item works - but by all means request a certain barrel.

Sometimes barrel makes are being mentioned in certain circles as they are 'winning' so you get a following, but this can also be the result of the previous 'winning' maker becoming busy so people go elsewhere to get their barrels and this new make becomes a 'winner' just because folks are using them!

Personally any of the known makers and you should be good, but they can all make the occasional duff one :)

Had good experience with Broughton, Bartlien, Hart, Lilja, Badger. Have my first Border which seems to be shaping up well.

Also like the 5C/R (or whatever new name is used) form of rifling. 'Seems' better, nothing that I can prove, just makes sense?

Brgds Terry

Also like the 5C/R (or whatever new name is used) form of rifling. 'Seems' better, nothing that I can prove, just makes sense?

Brgds Terry

I ran a Bartlien for a short while. It was rifled 5r 1 in 8 in a tight neck, long throat 223.

It showed fine cracks on the rifling after 200 rds and well defined fire cracking after 300. All seen by me using my Hawkeye bore scope. It was scrapped after 600rds, it would not shoot anything particularly well...let alone good.

Re-barrelled with a cheap and cheerful (by comparison) Pac Nor, the same chamber reamer, Sendero profile in a 1 in 9 rifling. 631rds later, I see no fire cracking and I can work up a load in as little as 18rds from start to finish. I had a Pac Nor on a 204 that shot bug hole groups with pretty much everything put through it, including 40gn.

Sometimes you don't get what you pay for. My only other barrels used are Krieger. They last well, shoot well but are so last year.

It's all a bit of a lottery.

ATB

Most, if not all barrels are decent quality these days.

There is no real world difference in any brand if your looking at sporting rifles.

I use a lot of Border, Walther for sporters.

I use Broughton, Kreiger and Benchmark for competitive target rifles

Some of the sporting rifles shoot as well as the more expensive barrelled rifles.

Its a pain to get certain US brands, but most are attainable,

Im using a Border 32inch 5R on my 7mm Shehane and have found it spot on even before fire forming.

The But is that they are moving there whole operation to Birmingham as we speak so you may find a delay and some confusion.

But worth the wait just to keep a good company on our soil going.

V

Achosenman,

Trying not to go too far off OP, but do not think you can right off a particular rifle form due to the failure of one barrel? A lot of folks use the odd land/groove and canted rifling with no problems. I've had must be 5 or 6 of that form, currently running 3 (6.5x47, 7mm SAUM and a new .223/5.56) no visible faults.

Believe this is rhe form used by AI which are non to shabby on performance or longevity?

The one thing I have found is a 5C/R rifle will go longer before accuracy falls off which is important to me.

But as per my original post, any maker can have an off day.

T

My smith has told me that Lothar Walther and Border are accessible to him so its my choice. I'm thinking I'll go with a Border Archer and with the money I'll save on it over a Border barrel I'll use on getting flutes.

From the rifles with the Archer barrels in the Showcase section they can certainly shoot straight!

Achosenman,

Trying not to go too far off OP, but do not think you can right off a particular rifle form due to the failure of one barrel? A lot of folks use the odd land/groove and canted rifling with no problems. I've had must be 5 or 6 of that form, currently running 3 (6.5x47, 7mm SAUM and a new .223/5.56) no visible faults.

Believe this is rhe form used by AI which are non to shabby on performance or longevity?

The one thing I have found is a 5C/R rifle will go longer before accuracy falls off which is important to me.

But as per my original post, any maker can have an off day.

T

Not trying to write anything off mate. That's why I said it was a bit of a lottery. Any barrel can fail...just this one didn't fail, it never started. ;)

I think what I have learned over the 6 custom barrels I have had, is that they shoot well regardless of cut or buttoned. I can't see a difference between my Krieger or Pac Nor barrels with regard to grouping...longevity maybe. I'm sure you could measure the internal differences but who cares as long as it shoots?

FWIW one of the best barrels I had was a hammer forged Sako. I put over 5000 rnds through that and it still shot sub MOA when I sold it...go figure!

ATB

Kust looking into Border barrels now, is there much of a difference between the border and archer barrels? I know the difference in making them but is there a noticeable accuracy difference?

Quite a price difference, I have a Border cut rifled on my .22 K hornet, it can clover leaf, if I have not had too much coffee!!!!!

Aj

The worst barrel we ever had was a Sako hammer forged, never shot well.

LW barrels are doing great service for my hunting needs and the odd competition, ultra reliable.

Now have a Bartlein on my Tatical that someone had on a rifle before and rejected it. Accuracy wise the best

rifle I ever shot, although there is a slight glitsch half way down the barrel according to the smith who fitted it.

Had one Border Barrelled 243 that did very well at 600yd /m comp and hunting.

I'm willing to try any barrel as long as it is not hammer forged, wasted enough time with them.

edi

Archived