Roundhouse Rifle Challenge - Zeroing & Practice Christmas Shoot

This final shoot of the year will be a pure zeroing / practice day. A single firing point (suitable for 6 to 8 people) will be used all day, with plenty of reactive steel & other targets at 100, 200, 275, 350, 500 & 650 yards. The point will remain live almost continually; allowing people to shoot a bit, warm up in the bunkhouse while others shoot and then shoot some more. A great opportunity to test loads over longer distance, gather vital drop data etc. and simply have some fun!

The date is confirmed as Saturday 14th December, with shooting possible from 08.45 to 16.00.

Entry donations are a festive £25 for the Saturday, £35 if staying in the bunkhouse or camping Friday night - full washroom and kitchen/dinning facilities are included.

You are welcome to come down anytime Friday, to spend the day walking on the surrounding Bodmin Moor or simply enjoying the beautifully remote high moorland location. Equally, unlike Challenge days, there will be safety briefings at 8.30, 10.00 & 12.00 so people can arrive through the morning and still shoot. Also if booked in advance, clay shooting will be available on the Sunday for around £20 per 100 (ABT, DTL, UT, OT & Sporting).

For those of you whom have not shot a Roundhouse day before, please note it is NOT a rifle range. The rifle you use on the day MUST be your own and be conditioned for field shooting - i.e fox, deer or AOLQ & for zeroing over ground you have permission on etc. You MUST also have your own valid shooting insurance and not be subject to a 'mentoring condition', unless accompanied by your mentor. This will all be checked on the day. Permission to zero will be granted on a daily basis, just like paid stalking etc. and the ground is cleared for fullbore by D&C Constabulary. The emphasis is on the shooter to be a safe shot and follow safe shooting practice, being responsible for every shot and every moment handling a firearm.

FMJ & lathe turned solid bullets are not permitted. HPBT match are ok to use, though expanding/A-Max style are preferred - people are meant to be zeroing field rifles after all.

To secure a place, a full non-refundable donation will be required by Tuesday December 10th.

Many thanks,

Tiff

N.B. The landowners involved have expressly asked for their farms not to be named or pictured on the internet (or anywhere else) in reference to these shoots, so once you know the location please only refer to it as the Roundhouse Rifle Challenge, The Roundhouse or RRC etc.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aaarrrrggghhh I cant make it. Tiff are you getting one sorted in the first 1/4 of next year?

Yes, depending on snowfall etc. late February or so...

Yes please Tiff. Very probably will come down Friday after work.

Are Lapua .30 cal HPBT 155gr Scenars ok for the day if I can't get the 155 gr A-Max's?

Regards

Mike

Scenars are OK for the day (A-Max's are better), it's mainly FMJ & solids that are the problem on steels.

Cheers,

Tiff

Tiff,

Where do you get your A-Max's from?

Mike

Just picked up the last box in stock at my local shop in Tavistock, however normally Sportsmans, Blue Fox Glade, Reloading Solutions, Norman Clarks or Sporting Services. Having said that, Spud on here may also stock them - would be worth dropping him a line first...

Tiff question ref my shoulder problem, would you or anyone else have any objection to me using a shooting table on the day if I find it necessary to do so?

Tiff,

Have to pull out mate, PM2 is out of action. Been told 4-6 weeks to repair! Really gutted as this would of been a good day out again.

Carl.

Sorry to hear you're having to send it back for repair, hopefully catch up again soon.

Tiff question ref my shoulder problem, would you or anyone else have any objection to me using a shooting table on the day if I find it necessary to do so?

Hi Tony,

There will be a table (possible 2) in place for shooting off (just bring your own rests..), since one chap coming cannot walk/move too well. Equally if you have a special shooting table/chair, you're more than welcome to bring it along.

Hope that helps,

Tiff

hi tiff, are there any restrictions on calibre ? How many rounds do you think youll need ?

seriously considering going if i can find accomodation that has safe firearm storage as id wanna drive the day before )

hi tiff, are there any restrictions on calibre ? How many rounds do you think youll need ?

seriously considering going if i can find accomodation that has safe firearm storage as id wanna drive the day before )

Hi Gunner, provided the rifle is approved for UK field shooting (i.e. vermin, fox, deer, boar, AOLQ etc.) & not shooting FMJ or solid bullets, then your welcome to bring it along :) A sound moderator is preferable, but not essential.

Round count is a hard to judge without knowing your shooting style, but conservatively 50 to 100 + (some will be bringing a lot more I'm sure..). If you have one suitably conditioned, I'd suggest bringing a .22lr as well; since it's cheap and great fun on the longer range gongs. There may even be a separate .22 sweepstake stage.

Staying on location in the bunkhouse is the best option, £10 for the night including full kitchen, dinning room and shower room access. Firearms security is obviously your responsibility, but when you arrive I'm sure you'll be happy, given its remoteness.

I'm off up there for a couple of days to work on improved target stands and make some new Hardox 400 steel targets - Fig 14's are top of the list.

Archived