Views on gap presion rifles the crusader??

Exeter lad

Thinking on buying a gap crusader! Wants a tactical rifle for stalking and occasional 1000 yard shooting! I like that the whole rifle is custom! It has great features like mcmillan a5 stock,Bartline barrel 5r,custom action which is blue printed and skim bedded to the stock. All for under £2500.. Any views on this topic.. Regards Aaron

Exeter Lad

'Gnats Arse Precision' aka GAP, build some nice rifles but George can be a funny bugger, not sure how he views exporting - he has more than enough work to meet US demands so building more for export might not be worth it?

Never owned any of his rifles but have shot a few and they all worked, there are other US builders, some of which did work for GAP, who build equally as nice kit if GAP proves uncooperative and you particularly want to have a US build.

Remember to convert the US$ value to UK£ for actual cost to your door

Brgds Terry

Remember to convert the US$ value to UK£ for actual cost to your door

The reason for that is something along the lines of:

Exporter's processing charge ( a % of the rifle's cost).

Export costs.

Importer charge (another %)

VAT and duty.

Proof costs.

Which all add up to bring the value to around the same number in £ as it was in $.

You will easily find a builder over here who will create a rifle the equal of a Crusader or any other US produced precision rifle.

There are RFD's regularly importing firearms into the UK from the States, that would be the method I'd explore first. I actually bought three firearms back with me from the US some years ago - I had an RFD collect them from customs and then arrange for proofing etc.

you will find one replying to this post and many others who are all world class on this forum alone

the AI might be heavy for your needs but take into account the re-sale value of a custom compared to the AI the AI seem to old there value a lot better just a thought for you.

I learned the hard way with this. I bought a rifle direct from Kelbly., Firstly quoted delivery 10 to 12 months it took 22 months. When it arrived it had the wrong magazine, ie no magazine. I tried to post it straight back but it always got as far as Heathrow and was then returned, I managed in the end to send only the stock back which they inletted for an H & S bottom metal. Four months later it was returned and guess what the installed mag hit the trigger hanger, thankfully Pete Walker put that right.

While doing the load development the bolt handle fell off the bolt. So back to America goes the bolt in bits, 4 months latter back comes the bolt. At this time I am so pissed of with this rifle it gets put straight in the back of the gun cabinet and there it stays for the next 2 years.

Any way a chance to sell the rifle rears its head so on demonstrating this rifle to a possible buyer, I find the bolt I now have is for an action with the port on the oppersite side to the rifle I own, ie its trying to eject the cases into the action. Guess what back to Kelblys goes the bolt and 4 months later the right bolt turns up.

By this time I have no faith in this rifle what so ever and would not risk selling it to anybody. After it living in the gun cabinet for another 3 years unfired we canibalised it .

I now have a spare A5 stock with everything on it, a spare cryoed fluted Hart barrel never had a round through it.

Biggest waste of money every. Remember if you buy direct and you have a problem sending it back is just about impossible and they really dont give a toss.

This gun on the face of it was a brand new Kelbly for about £2k all in but turned out to be the biggest waste of cash I have ever know.

BE WARNED.

Yea AI do seem to hold there money thats very true! Just to heavy though for my kind of shooting! But if nothing is around may have to get one on last resort! Wow that's a that which promotes growth and vigour exsperiance! Stuff it going for a uk based builder does any body recommend any good actions

Dave at Valkyrie Rifles (Baldie on UKV) builds very nice custom tactical / sporter rifles and has his own British built actions in various versions.

http://www.valkyrierifles.net/

Mik Maksimovic and team at the Dolphin Gun Company in Licolnshire offer a pic-n-mix rifle build service using their in-house design and manufactured chassis stock, either fixed or folding version, a range of repeater actions (Nesika, Barnard SM and more) and almost any make of barrel you fancy. Mik usually completes the build in six weeks or so and keeps an enormous range of components in stock, so you usually don't have to wait for an action or stock to be made and arrive before the build starts.

http://www.dolphinguncompany.co.uk/

Why? As already described by the time you get a US made rifle here there will be no monetary saving and only headache and waiting. There are excellent rifle smiths on this forum, talk to them, tell them what you want. More importantly listen to what they have to say, many will have 'been there, done that'. If you are still unsure post specific questions on the forum.

Have fun and good luck.

Dave at Valkyrie Rifles (Baldie on UKV) builds very nice custom tactical / sporter rifles and has his own British built actions in various versions.

http://www.valkyrierifles.net/

Mik Maksimovic and team at the Dolphin Gun Company in Licolnshire offer a pic-n-mix rifle build service using their in-house design and manufactured chassis stock, either fixed or folding version, a range of repeater actions (Nesika, Barnard SM and more) and almost any make of barrel you fancy. Mik usually completes the build in six weeks or so and keeps an enormous range of components in stock, so you usually don't have to wait for an action or stock to be made and arrive before the build starts.

http://www.dolphinguncompany.co.uk/

Plus one on that

Thinking on buying a gap crusader! Wants a tactical rifle for stalking and occasional 1000 yard shooting! I like that the whole rifle is custom! It has great features like mcmillan a5 stock,Bartline barrel 5r,custom action which is blue printed and skim bedded to the stock. All for under £2500.. Any views on this topic.. Regards Aaron

They seem to be well respected in the States on certain forums, but at £4k with your back up if it goes wrong on the other side of the Atlantic I would think twice.

Seem to remember one being reviewed years ago in the old Target Sports mag.

In no order

Callum Ferguson

Pete Walker

Mik Masimovic

Gavin Heywood

Dave Wylde

Neil Mckillop

Mike Norris

Norman Clark

Richard Pope

Stuart Anslem

forgive me if ive forgotten anyone, its not a comprehensive list

Any one of these will build you a very good rifle, some may even build you a world class rifle..

Why would anyone want an American rifle when so many UK options are available with faster service, less hassle and face to face communication.

Well, George Gardner has a pretty awesome beard. Not sure that any of the UK smiths in that list have awesome beards.

In no order

Callum Ferguson

Pete Walker

Mik Masimovic

Gavin Heywood

Dave Wylde

Neil Mckillop

Mike Norris

Norman Clark

Richard Pope

Stuart Anslem

forgive me if ive forgotten anyone, its not a comprehensive list

Any one of these will build you a very good rifle, some may even build you a world class rifle..

Andy I'm sure you qualify for this list!!!!!

Well, George Gardner has a pretty awesome beard. Not sure that any of the UK smiths in that list have awesome beards.

Gavin's grown a beard too you know

Andy I'm sure you qualify for this list!!!!!

There's plenty of people here who can plumb a pretty good rifle

I quite like baldie work if I'm honest he has a great following and is highly recommended! Wen I've made my mind up will be giving him a call. Thanks for the input guys... What do you all recommend for barrels/action?? Thinking sticking with 308 or mayb venture to 7mm mag or 300 Winmag! All in a mcmillan stock

Archived