Roundhouse Rifle Challenge III - Long Range Pairs - 16/11/13

Tiff

Thinking of bring some Berger 175 VLD's (.308) to the party, ultimately its marksmanship principles first but has anyone had experience at long range with them? Will get some practice with the AE in the next 2 weeks out to 1000 yds hopefully.

Carl.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi guys

bit of a newbe at this long range stuff, :P what are the appropriate conditions needed on my ticket to come and play with you guys?

cheers

Glenn

hi guys

bit of a newbe at this long range stuff, :P what are the appropriate conditions needed on my ticket to come and play with you guys?

cheers

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

In essence the rifle you use on the day must be conditioned on your own FAC for shooting fox / deer or AOLQ and zeroing on land that you have permission.

Permission to zero is granted on a daily basis, no different to a paid stalking trip etc. The ground is cleared for fullbore, so open or closed ticket is not a problem - only people with 'mentoring' conditions cannot shoot, unless accompanied by their respective mentor.

I've dropped you a pm with my contact details etc. if you have further questions.

Cheers,

Tiff

sorry guys

just read Tiffs 1st post,seems im good to go :) ..if you will have me?,are there any slots left? :blush:

I use a sako 75 varmint in .243 using 75grn accu tips....is this set up any good?..any advise would be great.

cheers

Glenn

sorry guys

just read Tiffs 1st post,seems im good to go :) ..if you will have me?,are there any slots left? :blush:

I use a sako 75 varmint in .243 using 75grn accu tips....is this set up any good?..any advise would be great.

cheers

Glenn

It was good speaking to you on the phone Glenn and I look forward to meeting you in the near future.

Space for 1 pair / 2 individuals remaining.

Tiff,

I'm an 'almost' ....new rifle may, with a following wind, be in my hands end-Nov. :) Just in time to miss this! :(

That's no good, I'm sure you had a perfectly suitable rifle last time? Then again, your efforts in supporting the British gun trade through these austere times should be commended.....

Hi Tiff

Will the COF be available before the event?

Good questions and to be honest probably not. I'm up there for the rest of the week sorting out more target positions with PCal, so it is going to 'evolve' over the next week.

There will be a comprehensive briefing inside at 08.15 before the day begins, where the COF will be issued to each pair and explained in detail. Plus due to the changeable weather conditions the COF may well only be finalised the night before.

I can confirm the following:

• The day will start with a 200 yard scored zero check on an A4 target.
  • The max target distance for the day will not exceed 1,250 yards. The idea is to steadily progress back to this distance, but if weather dictates (i.e deteriorating as day progresses) this cannot be guaranteed and the max distance may be shot immediately after zeroing. Please bring reasonable drop charts to 1,250 yards...
  • 50 rounds per shooter will count (i.e. 100 rds recorded per pair)
  • On some generously timed stages non-recorded sighters will be unlimited. Therefore the total recommend round count for the day is 100 per shooter (i.e. 200 rds per pair). You may of course bring/shoot more if you wish to, on the unlimited sighters stages.
  • Targets will in the main be reactive steel with 'backstop splash zones' around to spot fall of shot. However on one or two stages towards the end of the day (once drop charts have been validated ) relatively un-reactive targets/no splash zones will be engaged - think egg shoot with a twist.....

Hope that helps a bit,

Tiff

N.B. Currently 3 places left for those interested in attending, please drop me a pm.

Evening lads

Anyone had any experience with the 175 VLD Berger's in .30 cal? I know the secant ogive is extremely sensitive to seating depth but these are a right stripey deckchair to get right. So far i've tried to seat them at just under mag length around 50 thou off lands and today i went for .90 and .130 off . The best i could achieve was around just under an inch and i know this could be improved. With the competition just around the corner should i keep tweaking them, time is not on my side now and i'm a little worried about supply? People say they work well in the lands but i'm keen to get them in the mag to quicker target engagement. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I know the 155 Amax are easier to seat and i can get a good supply of them, just wondering if i've left this one too late now?

What bullets are going to be used on the day, John i think you said you were going to use Nosler BTips?

Carl

Anyone got a spare wind speed device going on the day?

Can't help you with your bullet situation but can advise that a wind meter may prove to be a handicap given the location and proximity of firing points to targets. Spotted sighting shots are more likely to get you on the targets so take plenty of rounds.

Shooter79, I have a kestrel you can use on the day if you would like to. However I've found that you have more success by looking at wind indicators at 2 or 3 different points down range to determine wind speed and direction. So look at how trees, rushes etc move and then compare what you see to a chart such as the one found in the following link to get your velocity. Wind value can be determined by thinking of the wind as a fluid moving over the topography and try to visualise what angle the wind is moving along your bullets flight path. Using a wind meter will only give you the wind speed at your location, therefore I feel it is of limited use as it will not tell you what the wind is doing down range.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_mq6-_Ljd0s/UOm575TvVvI/AAAAAAAAAX4/2LRy5C_9TEw/s1600/wind_resette.jpg

On the bullets, as long as your rifle will do 1MOA or less you will be fine. Reading the wind correctly is by far the most important factor in making the shot. If your struggling to get 1MOA or less, go back to a reloading manual and try a standard load.

The best thing you can do is come along and have a go! The challenge is not about winning, its about learning and improving your marksmanship and the only way to do this is put rounds downrange and record your results. Look forward to seeing you next weekend mate!

Shooter79, I have a kestrel you can use on the day if you would like to. However I've found that you have more success by looking at wind indicators at 2 or 3 different points down range to determine wind speed and direction. So look at how trees, rushes etc move and then compare what you see to a chart such as the one found in the following link to get your velocity. Wind value can be determined by thinking of the wind as a fluid moving over the topography and try to visualise what angle the wind is moving along your bullets flight path. Using a wind meter will only give you the wind speed at your location, therefore I feel it is of limited use as it will not tell you what the wind is doing down range.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_mq6-_Ljd0s/UOm575TvVvI/AAAAAAAAAX4/2LRy5C_9TEw/s1600/wind_resette.jpg

On the bullets, as long as your rifle will do 1MOA or less you will be fine. Reading the wind correctly is by far the most important factor in making the shot. If your struggling to get 1MOA or less, go back to a reloading manual and try a standard load.

The best thing you can do is come along and have a go! The challenge is not about winning, its about learning and improving your marksmanship and the only way to do this is put rounds downrange and record your results. Look forward to seeing you next weekend mate!

Those 'just felt on your face' etc indicators just don't work for me.

I know that's the accepted 'work' but what it describes between 4 and 24 mph just doesn't tally with the way my senses perceive wind.

I think the greatest use for a kestrel is in using it to calibrate your senses.

Can't help you with your bullet situation but can advise that a wind meter may prove to be a handicap given the location and proximity of firing points to targets. Spotted sighting shots are more likely to get you on the targets so take plenty of rounds.

Been on the location before, follow up quick adjustment shots will probably work be the order of the day. A max and min wind speed will be worth monitoring over the day in order to gather an average at least. Taking 100 rounds for the day, what about you?

Carl.

Been on the location before, follow up quick adjustment shots will probably work be the order of the day. A max and min wind speed will be worth monitoring over the day in order to gather an average at least. Taking 100 rounds for the day, what about you?

Carl.

Alright Paul

Went back to the old faithful 155 Amax's, not enough time to fully develop the Berger's, with stalking and work commitments, kind of left it a bit late! Rounds grouping well now with an average of 2810fps. Wind is important all the way to the target and i believe a good spotter who can pick up the trace and bring you on accurately hopefully with the same reticle measurement, will be invaluable. Problem is my partner has a MOA Nightforce, not good!

See you soon mate.

Carl.

Due to family commitments & health reasons, a couple of people are now unfortunately unable to attend.

There is space for 2 pairs / 4 individual entries remaining.

Don't be shy...this should be the best one yet; with a wide variety of targets and plenty of challenging shooting on offer :)

Who's staying Friday night?

I'm not entirely sure...In addition to you & I:

Tisme

Gordon

Mildot

PCal

& Oaken?

I think there may be a few early starts, to make the 08.15 briefing...The days are so short at the moment, so need to make the most of it.

I was on location yesterday; there wasn't a breath of wind, crystal clear visibility and was comfortably light until 16.30 - perfect for long range shooting :) .

However is was noticeably colder than recent and I would recommend LOTS of warm waterproof clothing, plus a shooting mat/tarp. if possible. The highest firing point will be amongst a little rocky outcrop at just over 1,000 feet and is rather exposed - Pack what you'd normally wear and then double it! Also the bunkhouse is 'brisk' with very limited heating, so a good winter sleeping bag/duvet & pillow + slippers or a couple of pairs of thick warm socks for the granite floors...

Archived