Roundhouse Rifle Challenge III - Long Range Pairs - 16/11/13

Tiff

This third RRC will provide an opportunity for pairs of shooters to work together as a team, to maximise their own shooting potential at long range. The date is confirmed as Saturday 16th November.

At each firing position a pair will be given a suitable time window (i.e. 20 minutes), within which to fine tune their drop charts, practice and shoot a challenge stage. Each challenge stage will focus on accuracy & precision at long range, engaging a variety of reactive targets.

The day will start with a 200 yard zero check and then an opportunity to practice shooting at multiple distances out to 650 yards. From there, shooting pairs will steadily progress back throughout the day to a maximum distance of around 1,000 - 1, 250 yards, depending on weather conditions etc.

Examples of challenge stages:

"You have 20 minutes to practice as a pair on the left hand 10" plate at 800 yards and the left hand 12" plate at 1,000 yards. Unlimited practice rounds. Within this time you must each declare ready, load 8 rounds and engage each plate. First round hits receive 100pt, 2nd 75pt, 3rd 50pt. & 4th 25pt. The challenge stage must be completed by both shooters within the time and can be started whenever you both decide to declare"

&

"You have 20 minutes to practice as a pair at all middle targets. Unlimited practice rounds. Within this time window you must each declare ready, load 10 rounds and engage with one round per target at 200, 275, 500, 650, 650, 500, 275, 200 & 2 rounds again at 650 yards. The challenge stage must be completed by both shooters within the time and can be started whenever you both decide to declare"

For those of you who have not shot a Roundhouse day before, please note it is not a rifle range. The rifle you use on the day must be your own and be conditioned for field shooting - i.e fox, deer or AOLQ & for zeroing over ground you have permission on etc. You must also have your own valid shooting insurance and not be subject to a 'mentoring condition', unless accompanied by your mentor. This will all be checked on the day. Permission to zero will be granted on a daily basis, just like paid stalking etc. and the ground is cleared for fullbore by D&C Constabulary. The emphasis is on the shooter to be a safe shot and follow safe shooting practice, being responsible for every shot and every moment handling a firearm.

.240" / 6mm is the minimum advised caliber (.338 max.) and the required minimum round count for challenge stages is 50 rounds. This however does not include practice rounds, so bring plenty.

FMJ & lathe turned solid bullets are not permitted - HPBT match are ok to use, though expanding/A-Max style are preferred.

The Saturday briefing will be at 08.15, with shooting finishing by 16.00.

The entry donations are £40 for just the Saturday, £50 if staying in the bunkhouse or camping Friday night - full washroom and kitchen/dinning facilities are included.

You are welcome to come down anytime Friday, to spend the day walking on the surrounding Bodmin Moor or simply enjoying the beautifully remote high moorland location.

While this should ideally be entered as a pair, individuals can still enter and will be assigned a partner of similar shooting experience on the day.

Entries will be limited to 18 people / 9 pairs.

To secure a place, a full non-refundable donation (only exception below) will be required by Friday 1st November. Please sign up on this thread and I'll pm you with further details.

If 10 people / 5 pairs have not committed to a place by Friday 1st November, this event will be cancelled and any donations received will be fully refunded. I really hope this is not required, but please understand the day must break even at least!

Many thanks,

Tiff

N.B. The landowners involved have expressly asked for their farms not to be named or pictured on the internet (or anywhere else) in reference to these shoots, so once you know the location please only refer to it as the Roundhouse Rifle Challenge, The Roundhouse or RRC etc.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in working on a pair, offshore at the mo with limited Internet

Put me down for two places please and camping too

Thank you for the quick responses. It already looks like it's almost certainly going ahead, which is great news all round :) .

The provisional entry list so far is:

Pairs

John MH + Dixie - Confirmed
Tisme + Gordon -TBC
Oaken + PCal - Confirmed

Bushdog + Mike - TBC

Swamp Donkey + Az1

Shooter79 + 1 - TBC

Individual Entries
Walkabout
Jungle_Re

Tony - TBC

c18rch

Spaces for 1 pair / 2 individuals left.

I will update this post as & when required.

Many thanks,

Tiff

I'm down a partner as my 1st reserve don't have field conditions on his ticket.

I'm a slut so happy to partner anyone

After doing the first one it will be prone in a hammock if Tiff has his way

Well now there's an idea....But no it will be prone all day, with the emphasis on accuracy, precision and gathering valuable 'real' data from your rifles at long range.

Have a bit of diary juggling to do, but want to be there if poss.

I will speak to Mike and see if he wants to form the "dysfunctional duo" :D (after my abysmal last performance!!)

Excellent, would be great to have you both onboard at this shoot - I've incorporated the feedback from the last shoot, so this should be the best one yet :)

i'm in but give me a day or two to check,

need a partner though

I may well be in this one with a rebarrel calibre but will also need a partner if anyone is willing.

No problems, I'll put you both on the list as TBC. I'll run a free matchmaking service in the morning briefing, if required...

Rup and Ian - Get a room, there is some right tension there!

Lol.

Orca, you going to make the effort for this one? .....free matchmaking service on offer..... ;-)

Tiff. Me confirmed, Happy to be partnered with Pcal if he'll have me.

Will send cash via the quarry.

Rup

Tiff any chance of some long range shooting on Sunday?

Ta

To be honest, it has been decided to limit the shooting to just one day per event. The additional day really takes it toll on everyone involved; landowners who have work to do, the tenant farmers and my parents doing sentry duty etc.

Hopefully the Saturday should provide you with a good dose of long range shooting. It will be run much more like the Sunday on the first, with prone challenge elements mixed in.

Archived