Hi

My aim this year is to shoot out to 1000 yards. To do this I have had Paddy on here put a 32" Bartlien barrel on my .308 howa. I've bought a NXS 8-32x56 scope and 20moa rail. Ammo is Berger 155gr VDLs that with 45 gns varget is chromo'ed at 2950 ft per sec. I'm using Sterlok to work out ballistics. So far so good.

The other weekend we went to Lydd ranges and sure enough I hit fist shot at 400 then 550 then 711 then 883 yards but the 1024 yard target would not fall over. I tried from 30 to 35 MOA elevation and 2 to 6 MOA windage. The grass around the target stopped me seeing dust kicking up on almost all of the shots I took. The only dust I saw was twice and just below the target. Next shoot was 1 moa higher but nothing moved.

Wheres the best place for me to go to try again, where a spotter might see whats going on and any other suggestions ?

Thanks

Welcome to long range shooting.You did well to get to 800 without much trouble-although the 308 starts to wobble just a bit at 1000,it should be ok-sounds like you maybe needed just a bit more elevation,if you saw two low strikes-1 moa would only elevate poi by 10 inches,and that does not include shot dispersal,which will be at least a few more inches,sometimes down.

Diggle has a large 1000 y backstop of sand,and helpful shooters-we have all had your experiences!It's probably safe enough to suggest that from 100 zero,you won't be over the top at 1000yards with34/35 moa elevation.Bear in mind that small inaccuracies in the data input to ballistic programs start to have considerable effect on predictions at very long ranges.Sub moa performance though is still achievable in fairly good conditions,once you 'get on target',and then of course it's just a simple matter of sussing out the wind-make that 'winds'!!

Gbal

Thanks for the replies. I've only been to Bisley once with a club who only shoot close ranges (up to 500) but would be happy to travel to Diggle if it's ok to shoot there. I have a shooter certificate card what else do I need and when are the "helpful shooter" there.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I've only been to Bisley once with a club who only shoot close ranges (up to 500) but would be happy to travel to Diggle if it's ok to shoot there. I have a shooter certificate card what else do I need and when are the "helpful shooter" there.

Thanks

I would say 45 gr of Varget is not enough for a 155 VLD in .308. I shoot F class and use Varget, 47 gr would be nearer the mark for Varget at 1000yd. Is your chrono good because 30-35 M.O.A at 1000yd with that fps should be good enough to hit the mark, if you have read the wind and if the data is correct. I have a 30'' Bartlen and with 47gr Varget I get around the 3070 fps mark which will keep the 155 berger super sonic at 1000yd.

I also have BASC insurance

Ahhh...if only it covered misses at 1000 yards ....seriously though,I'm sure someone from Diggle will give you the inside line on dates and attendance issues.The 1000 y shoots are BR comps-every reasonable comfort and aid to good shooting-except maybe the weather! It's also a very friendly place for the budding tyro and afficionado,with gear from the sublime to the not so sublime.

Gbal

Thanks

Check out the Diggle website on google and type in Pennine Shooting Association and check out the site for the shooting calendar.

Diggle has competitions on most weekends, ranging from black powder, tactical, benchrest and f class shoots on saturday/sunday.

Distances are usually from 500yds to 1000yds being commonplace. There are also shorter range comps 100 to 300yds as well.

As for turning up, check the shoots you want to come to and get there for about 9.30am latest, I think that it is £15 for the non member day fee, bring your FAC, rifle and ammo. Plus a sense of humour as 'extracting the urine' is mandatory. When I first started shooting at Diggle for 1000yd benchrest I was using a Remmy 308 for 1000yds and the backstop is large enough to see your splash and every shooter there will assist and help you get on and show you the ropes.

Vince Bottomley is THE Diggle stalwart and is also on this site with username Gun pimp if you need any further info.

Quite a few members of this site shoot at Diggle regularly so obviously they have no home life, friends etc ha ha!

So might see you there then!!!!

Thanks for all the replies. I'll check chrono and make sure its shooting fast enough to get to 1000 and book a weekend away at Diggle. Really looking forward to it now and feel free to take the pi** if I'm that bad.

Ta

• 3 weeks later...

Tisme

Don't panic mate I will be going to bisley for 1000yds very soon for 1k with my .243. il even have a friend bet with you! I will get you on to 1k vbulls...

That target is awkward because of the lack of strike indication. I have hit it before with 20 inch AI and ball ammo. But there was an amount of luck involved. Also a good spotter to watch the swirl which might help.

That will help with gross windage errors but not elevation.

If you're grouping well at shorts and truly achieving 2950MV, there's no reason you can't be half reasonable at 1000.

good luck and give us all some feedback after further experimentation

Chris-NZ

Mildot, looking forward to it, I have the ammo ready so just call me and we'll go.

I have since found out that the targets at 1024yards at Lydd might not have been working :angry: so I'm sure I'l be fine, it was just frustrating not being able to see where they were going.

I went to Bisley last week and shot 600 with 12.25 moa hit the bull second shot.

Thanks for all the helpful advice

Mildot, looking forward to it, I have the ammo ready so just call me and we'll go.

I have since found out that the targets at 1024yards at Lydd might not have been working :angry: so I'm sure I'l be fine, it was just frustrating not being able to see where they were going.

I went to Bisley last week and shot 600 with 12.25 moa hit the bull second shot.

Thanks for all the helpful advice

OK-note that extra 24 yards does matter,if you have clicked to 1000y only-the bullet is coming down at some angle,though not enough to miss entirely,it will be low...600 to 1000 is a big jump,but good luck,no problem once you get a solid hit on paper...

Gbal

Thanks for all the replies. I'll check chrono and make sure its shooting fast enough to get to 1000 and book a weekend away at Diggle. Really looking forward to it now and feel free to take the pi** if I'm that bad.

Ta

Tisme - You will be very welcome to attend our 1000 yard benchrest shoot on Sunday 7th July. There is a list of accommodation places close to the range on the website if you want to come the day before.

You'll need 25 rounds for the comp. plus say 10 sighters - we should get you on OK with that load.

If you do arrive the day before, I'll be at the range until about 5.30pm so I can 'meet & greet' and show you around.

Wow a bit over whelmed by three great offers. I'm going to try a take all three up so I'll start making some ammo up.

Mr Pimp. If I come up the day before can I shoot, to have a practice on the 6th?

Mildot looking forward to a day out.

The gent who sent me a PM, that's very kind of you and like the others I look forward to meeting and shooting with you.

Pete

Mr Pimp. If I come up the day before can I shoot, to have a practice on the 6th?

Unfortunately not - when we shoot 1000 yards it closes the rest of the range. On the Saturday - we always shoot 100 yard benchrest. But, honestly, you won't need to practice.

Hello Tisme,

That too is my plan with my new rifle. 1k.

What is the 8-32 like at 1k?

I have just bought a AI MkIII in .260 rem and my plans are 1k, McQueens comp and shoot a trophy deer.

I've only had the gun almost a week and i've not got a scope yet.

Good luck in your shooting.

Phil

Hello Tisme,

That too is my plan with my new rifle. 1k.

What is the 8-32 like at 1k?

I have just bought a AI MkIII in .260 rem and my plans are 1k, McQueens comp and shoot a trophy deer.

I've only had the gun almost a week and i've not got a scope yet.

Good luck in your shooting.

Phil

8x32 NF is about perfect for most 1000 y shooting- you might be able to use a bit more mag (heat haze!) sometimes,but not very often.You don't need the side focus for 1000,but you will for your other plans so NXS it is. Check which reticule suits you-at 1000 a very fine one helps (but isn't indicated for deer,maybe).It's subjective,so try a few reticules,bearing in mind that your aiming disk will be !/2moa...

Gbal

Hi Phil

First off I wouldn't take my advice, I'm very new to this long range stuff :o)

NSX : The NP-r1 ret makes it very easy to correct POI being a MOA ret. The turrets work well and I like the 1/8 moa adjustment. Over all it feels well built and I expect it will last a long time. At 32 x it's not always crystal clear (that could be my eyes). The NSX is good but if I had more money I would have bought a March. I got a good deal on it from a local shop if you want their details PM me.

Are you going to Diggel on the 7th we might be able to learn off each other.

Hello tisme, not got a scope yet so can't make the 7th. I have a sponsored walk anyway that day.

Could you send me the number of your local shop for the night force please. It's worth a call.

Thanks Phil

Archived