shoulder bump die

gazzar15

Gents

Where can I buy a die to bump back the shoulder of a fire formed case to factory saami spec in 260 Rem ?

Something more precise than a standard full length size perhaps ?

Thanks

If the standard f/l sizing die won't do it when the shell-holder is bang up against the base of the die, then I usually grind about 10 thou. off the shell-holder.

I assume you are not really interested in 'SAAMI spec' but rather the fit of your case into your rifle's chamber.

Thanks Vince,

I am just about to rebarrel a rifle in 260 Rem, I already had one and I have a rake of brass for it. The vast majority of it has only been fired once and I am loathe to bin it for new given current prices and availability. What you suggest seems a very good idea.

If your having a rifle rebarrelled, id suggest either a Body die (Redding) or have the person whose making it for you buy some Newlon die blanks (they do body dies), then get hi (or her) to use a resize reamer to make you a proper fitting body die.

Or even a set

Its what I do for my rifles..

If the standard f/l sizing die won't do it when the shell-holder is bang up against the base of the die, then I usually grind about 10 thou. off the shell-holder.

I assume you are not really interested in 'SAAMI spec' but rather the fit of your case into your rifle's chamber.

this is what i had to do, had bowers cut off 10 thou off bottom of die , then use redding competition shellholders to get the shoulder bump just right ! simple atb .. tim ..

Hi all, whats my solution pls my custom-made f/l bushing die knocks my shoulders back 1th perfect in my rockchucker press . Ive recentley Got an harrells combi press and it wont touch it as i want to load at the range its 6ppc

Many thanks Gary

Hi all, whats my solution pls my custom-made f/l bushing die knocks my shoulders back 1th perfect in my rockchucker press . Ive recentley Got an harrells combi press and it wont touch it as i want to load at the range its 6ppc

Many thanks Gary

Are you using Wilson dies to reload or are you using your custom dies??, i think like gunnery has said you will have to have a bit taken off your shell holder??, but don't forget to mark it in some way, so as not cause any confusion in the future ,

If You are not sure on the best way to do this there are some good articles on benchrest.com,but basically your take the firing pin and spring out of your bolt and with a known case that has started to get a bit sticky to chamber IE does not chamber freely,,, use this case to bump back just enough so that the bolt will just close,, This way you are not bumping back your cases to much,,, Better fit, Cases last longer as they are not being over worked???,

There is a lot more to it than meets the eye,, go and have a good GOOGLE :D:D

Darrel

Archived