AR15 christened with Roe buck.

Jerry May

Now that is a different calibre.

I really fancy a roe buck this year if any one can out me in contact. Cull buck only I may add. I've got a mini scotch egg on the way and mrs scotch egg just bought the pram......

Rifle is in 6.8spc spec II, 1-11" twist.

Several friends have them. No better than a 223 for csr etc, but great on deer. The round was made for killing things. My friends brother says it poleaxes roe.

Whats not to like.....its a black rifle. :)

Got a bigger picture Jerry? I know a rifle's a rifle, but that has to be the most unusual roe pic I've seen - I don't think deer hunting with an AR is even very common in the States. A 6.8spc/AR/deer 'first' in the the UK?

Got a bigger picture Jerry? I know a rifle's a rifle, but that has to be the most unusual roe pic I've seen - I don't think deer hunting with an AR is even very common in the States. A 6.8spc/AR/deer 'first' in the the UK?

It is rare in UK,like it or not.

It is much more common in US,like it or not.

Not just with the 6.8,like it or not.

The 6.5 Grendel is used,and a number of semi wildcat 6mms,and of course the heavier AR10 derivatives.

Usage is probably increasing,despite the limitations of the design as a hunting system.

It is of course nowhere remotely near the bolt action,or lever action,it may be in the semi auto /pump new sales territory.

Remington have a reasonable clone-no ideawhat sales were/are like.

I expect we will see a Lincoln Green cammo version/perversion,according to differnt ideas on appropriateness.

Gbal

I'd be interested in some more Pics and specs of the rifle too.

Also agree with the comments regarding having that buck measured.

I'm sure I remember reading an article about a guy stalking with this calibre in one of the UK mags going back about 6 years, Guys name was Brian something I think.

I'll see if I can find it.

ATB

Moses

Spec is,

6.8spc spec II

18" Lothar Wather barrel, 1-11"

Southern Gun Co. billet lower

DPMS Low Pro upper

American Trigger Corp. AR Gold trigger

Samson Evo 12.37" handguard

Magpul UBR stock

Magpul grip

Leupold IMS one piece mount, Leupold VX3 4.5-14X50 ill. rect.

Actually no,

I know of one other person, otherwise known as Fluffy Brian, who has shot a few

Matt,

6.8 SPC is, as far as I can remember, a 270 bullet in a 30 remington case (270 as the US is in love with the cal and obviously someone had a warehouse full of it thinking 'never sell this stuff again' :) ).

Believe it came about when the .223 got a bad rap for not working i.e. killing people, and they needed more punch that would fit into the AR platform.

Anyone know if it Was it ever adopted or did the Mk262 ammo work out better and render it a non starter?

Terry

Actually no,

I know of one other person, otherwise known as Fluffy Brian, who has shot a few

Mike SJ uses his regularly in Scotland with his Brother Mark. Rates it for deer. Seems to suffer past 300 yards in wind though for PR/CSR. Eric and Paul up here have all found the same. I suspect its same as the Grendel...ie not going fast enough from a straight pull to effectively use its BC.

Now the necked down 6mm version would be a belter I reckon, as is the 6mmAR.

Matt,

6.8 SPC is, as far as I can remember, a 270 bullet in a 30 remington case (270 as the US is in love with the cal and obviously someone had a warehouse full of it thinking 'never sell this stuff again' :) ).

Believe it came about when the .223 got a bad rap for not working i.e. killing people, and they needed more punch that would fit into the AR platform.

Anyone know if it Was it ever adopted or did the Mk262 ammo work out better and render it a non starter?

Terry

No, never adopted.

5.56 works well enough and besides the logistics of introducing another ammo type, as well as adapring millions of rifles made it a non starter.

MK 262 does a pretty good job for those its issued to, but that's only Designated Marksmen.

Other ammo types using 5.56 bullets are now available to both the US Army and Marines such as M855A1 and Mk 318, both of which are barrier blind, have extended range and better penetration

Archived