Choosing out of a few factory rifles

Frank

Hello every one

Anyone have any advise in choosing a small budget foxing rifle out of these or any other suggestions, All in .204 ruger

Tikka T3 Hunter

Ruger Hawkeye Predator

CZ 527 Varmint

Cant seem to make my mind up, I like the light varmint set up of the ruger and cz but the tikkas known quality is hard to pass. I have had a look at the Howa but don't like the hogue stock and the varmint is pretty heavy for walking around.

Thanks

I would also go for the Tikka, however with CZ's reputation for out of the box quality and accuracy, im sure it would also be good!

Steve.

Talking CZ 527 then its a very under rated rifle and no plastic parts, nice single set trigger also. my issue with T3's is all the plastic and the over sized action for what is a small cartridge (.20 ruger), the 527 being built ground up to take this class of round. Downside of the CZ is it needs some smoothing out either with use or by hand. Neither can be said to regularly outshoot the other from the box. I have had both and I wouldn't hesitate in getting another CZ ( though another Tikka? doubtful) but its down to personal choice

Ruger? Nope not for me too many bad ones

Cheers guys, wasnt expecting so many replays.

Looks to me the Ruger is out of the picture (more expensive out of the 3 as well) . Might just leave it down to availability with the CZ and Tikka. One thing i dont like about the CZ is the exposed magazine.

I will be just getting the blued tikka hunter with wood stock, whats the wood like? i have heard some of the synthetic stocks look very plastic...

I am a fist time buyer here, I have just moved to N. Ireland from australia (dont ask), grew up shooting dads old Krico .22 hornet. Love foxing we use the Tenterfield whistle 90% the time. Real easy to make not so easy to learn, from shooting with a friend here they really work here in the UK as well.

tikka , iv never owned one but shot a friends who doesnt shoot any more ! but compared to a remy700 bolt had a tighter tolerance and was much smoother to operate ! Also Ronny on here iv read is havving great sucsess with a rebarreled tikka i think ? in 20 practical , my friends was in 222 and it wasnt fussy ammo wise ! i knocked up some 50 grain blitz kings , in ppu brass trimmed to length, rem primers , powder was H322/21grains .col =2264..

it shot well 100 yds zero, and only 6" low at 250yds ! if i remember right ! and group at that range was 1-1/2" nice .. atb.. tim ..

Tikka would be first choice followed by the CZ,

The Tikka may have plastic parts, but it works and is very accurate - well most are..

The CZ, built strongly (ive been to the factory), they are accurate and will last a lifetime,,,

Runger third, a distant third

Hard choice between the Tikka and CZ, both nice both shoot., handle both and go with the one that comes up nice or just feels 'right'

Would not put the Ruger in amongst the pack.

Howa's shoot real well in the heavier formats but like you do not like the feel of the Houge stocks.

Terry

In truth its getting hard to find a factory rifle that wont shoot with a little work on its diet. its more a case of lasting and holding onto zero from different stances and in changing climatic conditions and lasting the use and abuse meated out in the field. +1 on those Houge stocks, real bendy forearm on the varmint I got hold of

I have shot ruger, remington, sako, and howa 204s and the rugers were the most accurate.

I shot 4 different ruger 204s and they were all tackdrivers.

I shot a few ruger rifles in other calibres but they were not great but they seem to have got it right with the 204.

an underkeeper I know has a cz varmint in .223 and although they don't have the reputation of the slick action and looks of the tikka its a cracking rifle, it cloverleafs groups as standard and the factory stock is very rigid its also spent a few years being bounced around on the quad and has never let him down. put it this way you wouldn't want to be a crow at 300yds infront of it

I love CZs, the only downside is lack of aftermarket accessories i.e. stocks I've just had my CZ243 restocked by staffordshire sythetic and I thinks it's the dogs danglies, action is sloppy but that is part of the design so they will function in extreme conditions, as a novice I don't understand the concept of a slick action surely once a bolt is locked down there is no play regardless of how smooth the action is?

I love CZs, the only downside is lack of aftermarket accessories i.e. stocks I've just had my CZ243 restocked by staffordshire sythetic and I thinks it's the dogs danglies, action is sloppy but that is part of the design so they will function in extreme conditions, as a novice I don't understand the concept of a slick action surely once a bolt is locked down there is no play regardless of how smooth the action is?

Smooth counts when making multiple shots without shifting your head from the stock. Cz can be made smooth or shot till they are smooth, the latter takes longer but fosters greater confidence and familiarity.

One thing to be aware of is Tikka and Sako .204s are special order calibres only which means 6-9 month delivery times. Look at some of the remmys with a jewel trigger fitted there not a bad option.

Cheers Sean

Archived