Rabbits NZ style

ernie

Not long before xmas my eldest left 6th form down here in Otago, NZ. I promised him a trip, so I rang a sheep station and got permission to shoot part of his 23,000 acre spread. we had 3 days of as much rabbit/hare/feral cat shooting as we could take :P sleeping in the shearing sheds. We took 500 .22rf and 320 .223 rnds and came back with a handful of each. We shot 379 bunnies from 5m right out to my best at 287m. Also threw in some trout fishing. At easter we have an event called the Alexandra Easter bunny hunt, where last year 24,500 were shot along with pigs, wild turkeys and possums. You have to get a team of 12 guns and are balloted for the farm you shoot on for 24 hrs. winners last year shot 1600 and get auto entry next year.post-10742-0-02143200-1358843624_thumb.jpgpost-10742-0-10553600-1358843682_thumb.jpgpost-10742-0-75899100-1358843709_thumb.jpgpost-10742-0-75879800-1358843738_thumb.jpgpost-10742-0-10132200-1358843782_thumb.jpgpost-10742-0-20685500-1358843806_thumb.jpg

Very jealous of the rabbit pop'n down there Ernie. B*gger all up here in Hawkes Bay, just a handful in most parts. The wet winter knocked hell out of them.

I had a small go on the edges of Bendigo Station a few years and that was entertaining even though it was just rimfires. Sheer luxury to have so many targets running about. Have always intended to take the suppressed .223 back down and get into them but you know how it is..

keep up the good work

Chris-NZ

Exact opposite side of Lake Dunstan to where you were then Chris, at Mt Pisa. hundreds in paddocks by the Clutha on sunday !!

I'll be in Dunedin next week and hope to do some hunting around MiddleMarch, the Blue mountains and Waimate, very much looking forward to it! Was there two years ago and loved it, I just hope to get the chance this time to stick a pig :)

Finman

I'll be in Dunedin next week and hope to do some hunting around MiddleMarch, the Blue mountains and Waimate, very much looking forward to it! Was there two years ago and loved it, I just hope to get the chance this time to stick a pig :)

Finman

Hi Finman.

You might find the Blueys off limits at prez due to the RHA being closed due to fawns at foot. unless you got private access ;) Middle-earth should be good for something though. Try door knocking at Cottesbrook Stn on the Moonlight Rd. he's a good bugger. Saw some ginger pigs out there last time and rabbits????? and Waimate, got to have a go at the wobblies aye.

Oh, PS if you in Dunners have a fish for salmon down the wharf, theyre on at the mo !!

Hi Finman.

You might find the Blueys off limits at prez due to the RHA being closed due to fawns at foot. unless you got private access ;) Middle-earth should be good for something though. Try door knocking at Cottesbrook Stn on the Moonlight Rd. he's a good bugger. Saw some ginger pigs out there last time and rabbits????? and Waimate, got to have a go at the wobblies aye.

Oh, PS if you in Dunners have a fish for salmon down the wharf, theyre on at the mo !!

Thanks for the heads-up Ernie, I am at the mercy of the chaps in Dunners who know the place inside out and have all the relevant accesses. Last time we got 6-7 wallabies in Waimate and got goats and pigs in Waikouaiti, trout in the Clutha (just off Beaumont) and a bunch of rabbits in Middlemarch. Don't know what's in store this time, I am hoping for a repeat performance :) . We also had a go at salmon fishing (caught some barracuda instead!) fishing off the coast at the mouth of Dunedin harbour, past Dowling's bay. Don't know if there'll be any fishing, but I won't say no to it if it is on offer ;)

best wishes,

Finman

Finman

Who do you stay with down here? got my first Barracuta last week. lovely fish.........not !!

Gandy

Yes, there was a bit of an aroma. its right in the middle of the town aswell !!

The aroma is probably no worse Ernie than after a possum shoot. I can only imagine 2000 buck possums.. :(

I'm off to my mate's bach in Mahia tonight. Here's what the b*gger caught last week:

DEnnisPuka_zps2207b6cb.jpeg

33.07kg hapuka (groper) on accurate scales- ~73lbs for you old folks :P

Chris-NZ

Finman

Who do you stay with down here? got my first Barracuta last week. lovely fish.........not !!

Hi Ernie,

I'm staying with some friends whilst I'm doing a series of lectures for the centenary celebrations of Otago University. But, no point getting all the way down there purely for work :). I do some hunting with Southern Hunting Adventures New Zealand, great chaps :)

take care

Finman

PS: where about in Otago are you?

Thanks GANDY and SEPRIM , Its what I emigrated for, improved lifestyle. East Yorkshire is still great but I get to do far more gucchi stuff here, as I get the time to do it.

FINMAN, I'm in Waihola, by the lake, sth of Dunners. What do you lecture in?? and when are you here dates wise. I work for the Gov. and am on late shift till a week on weds, but if youre around, well .........

FINMAN, I'm in Waihola, by the lake, sth of Dunners. What do you lecture in?? and when are you here dates wise. I work for the Gov. and am on late shift till a week on weds, but if youre around, well .........

Waihola .... No doctor no hospital one cemetery :) I'm there 3-15 feb earnie, I'll pm you details

Best wishes

Finman

• 2 weeks later...

Archived