Rabbits NZ style

ernie

Just back from Otago yesterday. Shot rabbits over spaniels in Middlemarch, shot fallow in the Blue Mountains, pigs in Central Otago, and stuck pigs in Waikouaiti...Man, what an adventure!! Great place, great folks!! One thing is for sure: I'll be going again!!

Finman

Just back from Otago yesterday. Shot rabbits over spaniels in Middlemarch, shot fallow in the Blue Mountains, pigs in Central Otago, and stuck pigs in Waikouaiti...Man, what an adventure!! Great place, great folks!! One thing is for sure: I'll be going again!! Finman

Great..... Now where's the pictures??!!

Just back from Otago yesterday. Shot rabbits over spaniels in Middlemarch, shot fallow in the Blue Mountains, pigs in Central Otago, and stuck pigs in Waikouaiti...Man, what an adventure!! Great place, great folks!! One thing is for sure: I'll be going again!! Finman

Brilliant...................pictures, pictures

Pity we couldnt get together. I had some other folks in from Dorset for the last few days. never managed a shoot but he caught plenty of fish, including his first Barracuda.

• 2 weeks later...
Good one, that'll be mass slaughter Ernie.

What hardware are you planning on using?

Gonna be the Savage Model 12 in B&C Duramaxx stock, Burris rings and Hawke 4-12x42 Mil dot, with Gunworks Maximus mod. shooting Hornady trg 55gn SP and TULA 55gn hp.

Also take the .22 Norinco JW15 and ATA 20g

Should have enough options there Ernie.

Here's a small sample of what I've been up to in the prev fortnight- had a week in the Chathams Islands then straight out the door next day hunting, then a trout tournie the following weekend. Went back to work for a break.

GroperChats_zps84b7df02.jpg

Cray_zpsaf90f38f.jpg

FirstHind_zps3b00cb59.jpg

StagFeb13_zpse11141f0.jpg

Trout3Mar13_zps51c9b6a2.jpg

The following sika stag was nailed by my mate Lex in heavy mist on daybreak. A serious trophy which I might have got as I was hanging out in the same spot the night before.. :( The antler was fully hard underneath.

Lex-2_zps498ab35e.jpg

Chris-NZ

Nice pics CHRIS. Are them first deer on the Chathams. I really would like a trip over one day, wild cattle must be a huge buzz !! nice fish and bugs too !

God no, the deer were from the mainland, in this case a private hunting block my best mate inherited a share in! Only pigs and wild cattle on the Chathams.

I didn't get to shoot any wild cattle- there are hundreds and in fact a chopper was due in in the near future to tip a heap over as they're a real pest and a danger on the roads at night. Did get to snot over some wild cats at a dump- the .243 is "adequate" for that :)

Chris

No photos this time but went with junior to the father in laws patch at Cromwell last night. Another 15 bunnies but sh1t shooting on my part as I used 23 rnds, out to 165m. He got a couple with his new left hander Savage trophy hunter 223 but also missed out on a pig when he radio'd for permission to shoot it. S.O.P's now are shoot pigs on sight :) Then I got me a nice 2.5 lb rainbow out of the Clutha this morning. yummy........ :)

I was just joshing with you Ernie, driven by my uncontrollable envy of the NZ way of life and all it offers. You go fella and post piccy's of the Easter shoot please. I might as well feed the monster (envy) if I gotta carry it :)

Now theres a thing. no way will my boss let me have the time off for the bunny hunt, so I had to give up my place to my pa in law. Gutted !! only reason no pics yesterday was I forgot the camera, but I'll make sure he takes one on the E.B.H

• 3 weeks later...

Well. the team I was to be on didnt do all that great this year. good job I sent the pa in law :P they only got 149 bunnies and a bunch of ferrets. the winners got 1300 and some. Total for the whole shoot was 18800 ish plus others, hares, possums ferrets. picture of winning team with their haul off tinternet.

post-10742-0-24707400-1364803855_thumb.jpg

Archived