AR-15 or custom 6.5x47

Hello,

All of you guys are the best ones to ask.

I'm a family man who can only afford one good rifle to do almost anything.

I love the AR-15 and I think every gun cabinet should have one.

But I have been deer stalking and do vernin control and would love to shoot on Stickledown.

It must be a tack driver. Hence why I have a 6.5x47 on my ticket.

Can you advise me what to do? AR-15 and a cheap .243/.308 for deer or a custom repeater 6.5x47

Open to suggestions?

Then there is the question of what action? I work in engineering so have an attention for detail, so it has to be perfect.

Thanks for your help

Phil

Hi Phil,

Is anything perfect,AR 15 not excepted-engineering-wise? Leaving that aside,given your starting constraints,there may have to be some compromises.A top AR15 isn't cheap,nor is a custom 6.5x47,as you know,and with scope etc will be over £3k,as you know. I think-and have found- that a basic light carry rifle in a standard calibre is just best for stalking,and it need not be new,if it shoots say 1 inch at 100 yards.There are plenty such,so you have rather a wide choice.

If you really like AR15s,and I can empathise-then the 6.5 Grendell chambering will widen your shooting quite a bit, and in any case outperform the 223,easily.Not my idea of a deer rifle,but it can make it for smaller species.)

I dealt with a similar issue (my son) with a Steyr Aug,(£700)and a 243 short remington(£300).Near perfection for me came as a Mannlicher Schoenouer 6.5x54,the engineering is rather good,and can be found for £750-of course used,but not abused and a very classy stalking rifle,in any company.

The Aug is short on bells and whistles add ons,but I didn't want any!My tack driver is a Stolle 6ppc,but that is in a different cost and application bracket.

There are choices,even on a budget! If you really can have only one,and very good accuracy matters,with considerable flexibility of use,the custom 6.5x47 is currently a very good all rounder,at a price,of course.

george

Hello,

All of you guys are the best ones to ask.

I'm a family man who can only afford one good rifle to do almost anything.....

Phil. Have you thought about a 260 Rem? http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/gallery/member-galleries/p2948-remington-700-sa-in-260-rem.html Regards JCS

Have you considered the AR15 in 6.5 Grendel?? Similar ballistics to the 6.5x47 on an AR platform. Low Mill Ranges in Cumbria are the UK supplier I believe.

Just a thought :rolleyes:

Alan

Thanks, just tried to call but no answer. They have some on thier web site with a POA.

Hi Phil,

Is anything perfect,AR 15 not excepted-engineering-wise? Leaving that aside,given your starting constraints,there may have to be some compromises.A top AR15 isn't cheap,nor is a custom 6.5x47,as you know,and with scope etc will be over £3k,as you know. I think-and have found- that a basic light carry rifle in a standard calibre is just best for stalking,and it need not be new,if it shoots say 1 inch at 100 yards.There are plenty such,so you have rather a wide choice.

If you really like AR15s,and I can empathise-then the 6.5 Grendell chambering will widen your shooting quite a bit, and in any case outperform the 223,easily.Not my idea of a deer rifle,but it can make it for smaller species.)

I dealt with a similar issue (my son) with a Steyr Aug,(£700)and a 243 short remington(£300).Near perfection for me came as a Mannlicher Schoenouer 6.5x54,the engineering is rather good,and can be found for £750-of course used,but not abused and a very classy stalking rifle,in any company.

The Aug is short on bells and whistles add ons,but I didn't want any!My tack driver is a Stolle 6ppc,but that is in a different cost and application bracket.

There are choices,even on a budget! If you really can have only one,and very good accuracy matters,with considerable flexibility of use,the custom 6.5x47 is currently a very good all rounder,at a price,of course.

george

Hello George, It seems to be 6.5x47 the all rounder. Proven accuracy at long range too. I'm looking at over £2500 for the rifle alone.

I may get a bargin at the British shooting show in about 7 weeks time.

6.5x47 will do everything u need and more!

A great rifle for everything!

Hi, Yes it's looking that way. A good 6.5 with reasuring excellent accuracy. I could make a tactical type rifle to please my need for an AR-15.

Hi, Yes it's looking that way. A good 6.5 with reasuring excellent accuracy. I could make a tactical type rifle to please my need for an AR-15.

Phil,yes-Aug etc are fun,not the ideal for real long range /accuracy.If you are thinking a bit tactical,have a good look at the 260rem,esp as mag feed,and look at the comparison on the 6br website-of the current fashionable 6.5s,there are rather small differences which might nudge a user to one rather than the other.You get selective,but not comprehensive,posts on any site,and rather few that report the just average,I suspect. .260r / 6.5x47..its a win/ win choice.

george

Phil,

If you want some real world advice on these, I own a 6.5 x 47 , a .260 rem, a 6.5 creedmoor, and also a 6.5 grendel , a 6mmAR and a selection of .223 AR,s.

Forget the grendel, because its crap. The AR15 platform in straight pull cannot extract a high powered round in this calibre, and it has to be high powered to make useful advantage of the 123 grain bullets BC. Simply put....you cannot push it hard enough.

The 6mmAR [necked down grendel ] is a different kettle of fish. This gives a comfortable 2750 fps with a 90 grain bullet, and is very good indeed.

6.5 x 47 is the case for 123-130 grain bullets, which will comfortably stay fast enough, and the .260 is the daddy for heavier bullets like the 140,s.

The creedmoor falls inbetween and was designed with the AR10 in mind, being able to feed from its mag.I haven,t done enough testing yet on my own AR10 in creedmoor to say what advantages it has, but its looking promising.

If you want a chat, give me a buzz, the numbers on my website.

Phil,

If you want some real world advice on these, I own a 6.5 x 47 , a .260 rem, a 6.5 creedmoor, and also a 6.5 grendel , a 6mmAR and a selection of .223 AR,s.

Forget the grendel, because its crap. The AR15 platform in straight pull cannot extract a high powered round in this calibre, and it has to be high powered to make useful advantage of the 123 grain bullets BC. Simply put....you cannot push it hard enough.

The 6mmAR [necked down grendel ] is a different kettle of fish. This gives a comfortable 2750 fps with a 90 grain bullet, and is very good indeed.

6.5 x 47 is the case for 123-130 grain bullets, which will comfortably stay fast enough, and the .260 is the daddy for heavier bullets like the 140,s.

The creedmoor falls inbetween and was designed with the AR10 in mind, being able to feed from its mag.I haven,t done enough testing yet on my own AR10 in creedmoor to say what advantages it has, but its looking promising.

If you want a chat, give me a buzz, the numbers on my website.

Thanks Dave, it's looking like i'll stay with the 6.5x47. Don't need the heavy bullets as it's mostly foxing with the odd deer and target shooting.

Already got it on my ticket too, west mercia are slow for a variation but hope they are getting better. Do you shoot 1500 and stuff? Got Gwyn Roberts to make me an all Kidd 10/22. I will phone for a chat though. Phil

I,ve packed gallery in this season Phil really. I used to shoot tp1 , multi target etc.

I know Gwyn , didn,t realise he was building guns from Kidd bits though.

I,ve packed gallery in this season Phil really. I used to shoot tp1 , multi target etc.

I know Gwyn , didn,t realise he was building guns from Kidd bits though.

Yeah, he's importing the Kidd stuff now. I used to be an X class shooter but getting rusty. I hope to get back into it with the new 10/22.

Are you going to the british shooting show?

Indeed I am.Call in for a natter, and a look at the new action. I will have several guns on display.

I decided to finish with gallery on a high. I shot for England several times and never lost a match i competed in. I still love gallery, but the prices are simply ridiculous now at Bisley, and i wont pay them.

I though Fatrudedog was the sole kidd importer ?

Indeed I am.Call in for a natter, and a look at the new action. I will have several guns on display.

I decided to finish with gallery on a high. I shot for England several times and never lost a match i competed in. I still love gallery, but the prices are simply ridiculous now at Bisley, and i wont pay them.

I though Fatrudedog was the sole kidd importer ?

Thats excellent, never losing a match! I'd love to shoot against you, the only way to improve is too compete against someone better.

Well, Gwyn did a glowing write up on their rifles and he spoke to Tony and Maripat Kidd and they said he can sell their products. But they don't export so he has to get a third party to export them for him for a percentage of the order.

It has got expensive thats why i'm only getting back into small bore, no LBR's or lever actions for me.

I'll look forward to seeing you on the stand. Is it your own stand or are you sharing?

Talk to Dave he has a 6.5 AR 15 v nice indeed

Dave talked-he doesn't ! (6.5 G is "crap"): but 6AR in AR15 platform,yes. 6.5 in an AR10 maybe.

Some primary extraction issues with full 6.5 (G) loads in a manual AR15 seems plausible.

george

Dave talked-he doesn't ! (6.5 G is "crap"): but 6AR in AR15 platform,yes. 6.5 in an AR10 maybe.

Some primary extraction issues with full 6.5 (G) loads in a manual AR15 seems plausible.

george

Hello George,

I think i'm going for the 6.5x47. It ticks all the boxes that I need and i've already got it on my ticket.

West Mercia are busy with the licencing and it used to take over 6 months for a variation.

But thank you for your advice, I think i should just start saving for an AR-15 .223 one day i'll get one.

Merry Christmas Phil

BAT repeater on the For Sale section ready to become your 6.5x47.......(For sale sponsors section)

Archived