AR-15 or custom 6.5x47

Dave talked-he doesn't ! (6.5 G is "crap"): but 6AR in AR15 platform,yes. 6.5 in an AR10 maybe.

Some primary extraction issues with full 6.5 (G) loads in a manual AR15 seems plausible.

george

I have a grendel , initially extraction was an issue but Ive had an 'easycam' fitted and it now shoots full power loads , including factory (hornaday 123g amax ) with no extraction issues .

I get around 2550fps with 123g scenars and BlC2 , its deer legal with 120g ballistic tips and Ive shot it out to to 1000yds. It will do it all adequately , but not brilliantly.

I would take the advice on here and get a cheap stalking rifle and save for an ar in .223 , or go for a 6.5x47/ .260 tactical which will do it all ,but be heavy for stalking.

Andy

I have a grendel , initially extraction was an issue but Ive had an 'easycam' fitted and it now shoots full power loads , including factory (hornaday 123g amax ) with no extraction issues .

I get around 2550fps with 123g scenars and BlC2 , its deer legal with 120g ballistic tips and Ive shot it out to to 1000yds. It will do it all adequately , but not brilliantly.

I would take the advice on here and get a cheap stalking rifle and save for an ar in .223 , or go for a 6.5x47/ .260 tactical which will do it all ,but be heavy for stalking.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I'm going for a 6.5x47. Not sure which though, AI AE MKIII is £2720 for a 6.5 and it does do well in comps too. So if a custom rifle comes in around that mark then it would be custom rifle. Sporting Services will be at the British Shooting show in Feb so I can compare then and hopefully spend some money. :-)

Happy New Year

Phil

Hi Andy,

I'm going for a 6.5x47. Not sure which though, AI AE MKIII is £2720 for a 6.5 and it does do well in comps too. So if a custom rifle comes in around that mark then it would be custom rifle. Sporting Services will be at the British Shooting show in Feb so I can compare then and hopefully spend some money. :-)

Happy New Year

Phil

Im sure you'll be happy with a 6.5 x 47 , Im also sure you'll be saving for an ar15 as soon as you get it!!!

Have fun

Andy

Is it possible to build an AR type platform chambered in 6,5x47, one of the AR10 types with the larger bolt face maybe? I know virtually nothing about the platform despite having one however it could be fun and give you the best of both worlds.

Is it possible to build an AR type platform chambered in 6,5x47, one of the AR10 types with the larger bolt face maybe? I know virtually nothing about the platform despite having one however it could be fun and give you the best of both worlds.

Yes it's possible to build one on a .308 sized chassis, however there are drawbacks.

The first one is the availability of parts, especially here in the UK.

Secondly, you'd have to settle on a reasonably short barrel (22" probably being the longest you'd want to go to) otherwise it would become too unwieldy.

You may or may not have extraction issues, there's no guarantee.

Depending what you wanted it for, you may be better off with a decent bolt gun

'Depending on what you wanted it for, you might be better off with a decent bolt gun"

Mark,

Did you really say that or did someone log on as you? :lol:

Happy New Year

Terry

Yes it's possible to build one on a .308 sized chassis, however there are drawbacks.

The first one is the availability of parts, especially here in the UK.

Secondly, you'd have to settle on a reasonably short barrel (22" probably being the longest you'd want to go to) otherwise it would become too unwieldy.

You may or may not have extraction issues, there's no guarantee.

Depending what you wanted it for, you may be better off with a decent bolt gun

I will stick with the decent bolt action and get a .223 at a later date. I just know I could nail most things in the uk with the 6.5 and will give it the most use. Not sure on the action make though. It will be a repeater in ST/ST.

Phil :-)

Archived