Bisley

Orka Akinse

Mark,

You seem to take this as a personnal challenge re. CSR and UKV, someone upset you or something?

Me, I'd like to give it a try, might ponce an AR type rifle off someone ( Baldie please :) ) as this is the rifle system the the competition is based around.

But I've a few exceptions to your jibes, good humoured though they are B)

There is nothing clever or manly in getting cold or wet, learnt this a while back and spend a lot of effort in preventing my guys getting either ( or burnt/dehydrated dependant on environment ),

I no longer compete (done enough for my own satisfaction) to any great degree, now only shoot for my own enjoyment / improvement.

I find safety at Bisley general appalling - NB this is a general comment, never been to a CSR shoot so not aimed at them!

I have personally a 'problem' with straight pulls. I enjoy shooting AR's, put a bit of effort into making them run reliably, so I could not own one that was deliberately built not to work - castrated if you like . But I see the effort that folks put into making all that is available to us here into nice rifles, more power to them.

I will give it a try sometime, I've shot a fair few different disciplines over the years, some to a reasonable standard (even if I do say so myself) and am always 'up' for a new one.

At the end of the day each to their own.

Brgds Terry

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark,

You seem to take this as a personnal challenge re. CSR and UKV, someone upset you or something?

Me, I'd like to give it a try, might ponce an AR type rifle off someone ( Baldie please :) ) as this is the rifle system the the competition is based around.

But I've a few exceptions to your jibes, good humoured though they are B)

There is nothing clever or manly in getting cold or wet, learnt this a while back and spend a lot of effort in preventing my guys getting either ( or burnt/dehydrated dependant on environment ),

I no longer compete (done enough for my own satisfaction) to any great degree, now only shoot for my own enjoyment / improvement.

I find safety at Bisley general appalling - NB this is a general comment, never been to a CSR shoot so not aimed at them!

I have personally a 'problem' with straight pulls. I enjoy shooting AR's, put a bit of effort into making them run reliably, so I could not own one that was deliberately built not to work - castrated if you like . But I see the effort that folks put into making all that is available to us here into nice rifles, more power to them.

I will give it a try sometime, I've shot a fair few different disciplines over the years, some to a reasonable standard (even if I do say so myself) and am always 'up' for a new one.

At the end of the day each to their own.

Brgds Terry

Well Terry, no one has ever said you have to shoot an AR15, have they?

The fact is that this thread started out as whinge because Bisley dares to close over Christmas (the damned cheek of them for not telling the Army and Landmarc where to go and poke it) and I said that if you really want to shoot then we have something the week after it reopens, which is available, fun and challenging.

And there's the problem, because from my readings on here it seems to me that most are onlyinterested in the newest bestest calibre, until the next newest besets caliblre comes along, their fancy paint job, wonderfluting, looking at pics or Podlocs or whatever (yes I know, I'm making generalistions and light-hearted jibes, but undoubtedly someone will get butthurt and say "what business is it of yours what colour my Viperskins are, and I'll god damn import Lemishine if I want to because I'm a free man").

Everyone's the worlds greatest shot at the longest distance and can achieve groups smaller than a microbe.....until they have to put 10 on a Fig 12 prone from 300 in 60 secs.

I've always been willing to have a go and try something new. It doesn't matter if you come last (well actually it does, second last isn't so bad) but shooting is shooting, and that's why we do it. Isn't it?

There's nothing wrong with a bit of healthy friendly competition with like minded souls with a bit of banter thrown in.

When I look on here, the 3rd forum down is the Tactical Competition forum, but theres not much in the way of "Tactical Competition" in there, is there?

When Mr Submariner organises his RBL precision tactical comp, how many from here enter?

In fact how many actually do walk the walk?

The 7th forum is Tactical Rifle builds.

People are interested in these types of guns (although Tactical is a daft word) but what are they using them for?

Each to their own as they say, but you're all missing out.

If I wasn't helping to organise SR comps (which are "Tacticool") I'd be organising "Tactical" matches which aren't very dissimilar to the old PR events.

But you all still wouldn't take the bait.

Why go out shooting when you can stay in and compare Badger bolt knobs <snigger>

If you can make it down for the 6th Jan match Terry, i will lend you a gun, all set up and provide the ammo for you. I guarantee you will have a whale of a time....the pisstaking is merciless, and the Craic, mighty. :)

Well so far none of you from this forum have entered, especially you Brown Dog......

I would've expected more from you, especially as your old mucker Strangely has entered ( even though old Shakey has just undergone a major spinal operation and could do with some assistance) and thought (wrongly) that you might want to help out this old Great War veteran!

As for the rest of you, there's now 40 or so entries and even the women who've entered are more man than all of UKV put together.

They'd rather get out and get muddy and cold rather than sit in and rub their Duracoated stocks and tell their mates about their fluting or what super duper calibre to go for next.....

Bradders is neither disappointed nor surprised.

Too far for me I get a nose bleed past Birmingham!

Perhaps next year when I get my bolt and barrel fluted plus the laser sight that hopefully Father Christmas is bringing me.

Mark,

Some reasonable observations from your perspective.

I (perhaps?) fall into you category of being a 'gear queer' but I'm luckily at a stage in my life were I can have nice toys, I'm not ashamed of this. They get used every opportunity, but other things, family, responsibility of work, prevent this being as much as I would like.

'Tactical' could read 'Precision' in line with the PRS series in the US?

Baldie,

Generous offer, I will see what the Christmas timetable is looking like (i.e. ask my wife :lol: ) and revert. If I cannot make the 6th then would like to take up your offer at a later date - if that is acceptable?

Brgds Terry

If you can make it down for the 6th Jan match Terry, i will lend you a gun, all set up and provide the ammo for you. I guarantee you will have a whale of a time....the pisstaking is merciless, and the Craic, mighty. :)

There you have it.

All you have to ask yourself what kind of chicken you are, grilled or deep fried KFC style :lol:

Well Terry, no one has ever said you have to shoot an AR15, have they?

The fact is that this thread started out as whinge because Bisley dares to close over Christmas (the damned cheek of them for not telling the Army and Landmarc where to go and poke it) and I said that if you really want to shoot then we have something the week after it reopens, which is available, fun and challenging.

And there's the problem, because from my readings on here it seems to me that most are onlyinterested in the newest bestest calibre, until the next newest besets caliblre comes along, their fancy paint job, wonderfluting, looking at pics or Podlocs or whatever (yes I know, I'm making generalistions and light-hearted jibes, but undoubtedly someone will get butthurt and say "what business is it of yours what colour my Viperskins are, and I'll god damn import Lemishine if I want to because I'm a free man").

Everyone's the worlds greatest shot at the longest distance and can achieve groups smaller than a microbe.....until they have to put 10 on a Fig 12 prone from 300 in 60 secs.

I've always been willing to have a go and try something new. It doesn't matter if you come last (well actually it does, second last isn't so bad) but shooting is shooting, and that's why we do it. Isn't it?

There's nothing wrong with a bit of healthy friendly competition with like minded souls with a bit of banter thrown in.

When I look on here, the 3rd forum down is the Tactical Competition forum, but theres not much in the way of "Tactical Competition" in there, is there?

When Mr Submariner organises his RBL precision tactical comp, how many from here enter?

In fact how many actually do walk the walk?

The 7th forum is Tactical Rifle builds.

People are interested in these types of guns (although Tactical is a daft word) but what are they using them for?

Each to their own as they say, but you're all missing out.

If I wasn't helping to organise SR comps (which are "Tacticool") I'd be organising "Tactical" matches which aren't very dissimilar to the old PR events.

But you all still wouldn't take the bait.

Why go out shooting when you can stay in and compare Badger bolt knobs <snigger>

Mark

there are a lot of people on here who would dearly love to have the time to come along to Bisely and enter the competitions you run.

However, and I know I speak for many, we simply cannot come along as were working - some of us haven't regular 9-5's so despite wishing to "walk the walk", we cannot.

To be blunt, its a fxxkin juggling act to get anywhere these days, let alone travel down to Bisley for a comp at Christmas.

Posting comments such as you have does nothing for the site or its members - however "lighthearted" they may be.

We all like kit, we all like to discuss whats best ,,,,,some of us even use it in comps across Europe where there are "Tactical Elements"

Some of us use our rifles every week for stalking in real cruddy conditions....

Generalising isn't going to help anyone, neither will it help your cause, because it will only pixx people off..

Dare I say, rant over :)

What would one need to enter such a match, in terms of memberships/tickets etc...

I love a challenge

A SSC and a rifle that holds 10 rds

If you have the former but not the latter it's no problem as there's always people willing to lend stuff.

Ronin,

I'm sure you're not speaking for everyone and I don't expect everyone to come, in fact I really don't expect any to come, but I'm not damaging the site at all.

To think otherwise means you're taking yourself too seriously.

While I can accept you traveling across aeurope to participate, I have to wonder why there isn't much remotely similar in Blighty.

And when there is, why people either don't take part, or go to the bother of organizing it themselves.

Apart from that, I don't remember you being one of the ones moaning about Bisley being closed over Christmas.

By the way, we have several regulars who do travel down from Cumbria, time permitting.

It's all doable you know ;)

well ive done a google search on bisley ssc and i'm none the wiser - apart from i'm pretty sure that i dont need membership of the losts souls scooter club!

how do i get an ssc?

Bradders, i mean no offense but you are missing the point. Your comp is actually in the new year, not Xmas. I think the original gripe was with the Xmas period not new year.

That aside Ronin's post really does sum up many people's position, certainly covers mine. Personally I have never ever shot at Bisley and don't feel any the worse off for it but will undoubtedly try it one day. I therefore have no gripe that Bisley choose to ignore paying custom over The Xmas period as I would not be one of them. Also while the game season is on I'm to busy with that on Saturdays anyway.

As to why there are no 'Tactical' comps in the uk well tell me where there is a suitable venue at a realistic cost? And by venue I mean a place where targets can be safely engaged at ukd' , inclines etc with shooters in different positions and with different target id's. Then you'd have a tactical comp and not just plinking at fig11's.

All that being said I wish you the best with your comp and hope you all have an enjoyable time.

Bradders, i mean no offense but you are missing the point. Your comp is actually in the new year, not Xmas. I think the original gripe was with the Xmas period not new year.

That aside Ronin's post really does sum up many people's position, certainly covers mine. Personally I have never ever shot at Bisley and don't feel any the worse off for it but will undoubtedly try it one day. I therefore have no gripe that Bisley choose to ignore paying custom over The Xmas period as I would not be one of them. Also while the game season is on I'm to busy with that on Saturdays anyway.

As to why there are no 'Tactical' comps in the uk well tell me where there is a suitable venue at a realistic cost? And by venue I mean a place where targets can be safely engaged at ukd' , inclines etc with shooters in different positions and with different target id's. Then you'd have a tactical comp and not just plinking at fig11's.

All that being said I wish you the best with your comp and hope you all have an enjoyable time.

Diggle shoot tactical comps, all know distances.

The range is owned and run by its members so anything within range rules can take place. No Christmas close down either!

well ive done a google search on bisley ssc and i'm none the wiser - apart from i'm pretty sure that i dont need membership of the losts souls scooter club!

how do i get an ssc?

You need to join the NRA, then pay to do a safe shooer assessment. Or, join another ho approved club and do it with them. NRA comes with insurance like basc etc, and is £45 for the first year. Also allows you to book a lane etc at bisley.

Well I went shooting at a pistol range today with my brother and a few others in Queensland here in OZ.

Despite the range being open for business, we were the only ones there all day.

Shooters really are a strange bunch......

• 2 weeks later...

A brilliant day Mark. :)

A day packed with laughs, good company , a very interesting COF and as always, made very welcome by everyone.

Wish i lived closer and they were more often.

Im so wanting a strait pull AR now so can get into a few more comps.

When myself and Dan534 took part in the Comp at Bisley - we looked on with envy the following day as all the chaps shot the CSR type comp.

and now as if to rub my nose in it Dan534's got himself a strait pull AR.

Mark,

Refreshing to hear a voice of good natured commentary.But you may pick up on the lack of appetite for any mild criticism,even when it is constructive.

'we don't have the time to get to Bisley(work)',but 'we travel to competitions in Europe'-as Ronin then says,'generalisations are not helpful'!!

But 'bringing the site into disrepute' isn't at all justified,especially as you make it very clear that 'jubes' are good natured.There may even be some evidence of (not) walking the walk,though to be fair,there are a number of diffenrent walks.And talks.Some are more equal-or at least consistent-than others,but as the great shooter Warren Page commented ''It's differences of opinion that make for horse races.'' A truism worthy of Mark Twain!

Mark Twain,of course,knew the difference between twalking the twalk and wtalking the talk,when he observer that 'Reports of my death have been much exaggerated.' No one was offended,no disrepute ensued.

george

A brilliant day Mark. :)

A day packed with laughs, good company , a very interesting COF and as always, made very welcome by everyone.

Wish i lived closer and they were more often.

I'll be back from my travels in time for the next one.

Having said that, I really am enjoying all this travelling malarkey :-)

Mark,

Refreshing to hear a voice of good natured commentary.But you may pick up on the lack of appetite for any mild criticism,even when it is constructive.

'we don't have the time to get to Bisley(work)',but 'we travel to competitions in Europe'-as Ronin then says,'generalisations are not helpful'!!

But 'bringing the site into disrepute' isn't at all justified,especially as you make it very clear that 'jubes' are good natured.There may even be some evidence of (not) walking the walk,though to be fair,there are a number of diffenrent walks.And talks.Some are more equal-or at least consistent-than others,but as the great shooter Warren Page commented ''It's differences of opinion that make for horse races.'' A truism worthy of Mark Twain!

Mark Twain,of course,knew the difference between twalking the twalk and wtalking the talk,when he observer that 'Reports of my death have been much exaggerated.' No one was offended,no disrepute ensued.

george

:wacko::blink::wacko:

George, I'll have a pint of what you're drinking :lol:

Archived