Finman's Jezebel

There comes a point in a man's life when the chips are down and decisions have to be made. After years of being teased by WSM 'when will I have a real rifle??!' (the cheek of the bugger, as if 6.5x55 and 7x57 are not real rifles...) and all my mates with their fancy .308s and their cheap ammo and small groups, I realised that the time for me to have a .308 has come.

Round about that time Mike Norris had started to produce them fantastic Ratels... 18inch barrel, tight .307 bore, great McMillan stocks, stupidly accurate. He even offered me action No.2, but it wasn't to be...The financial crisis hit and, much as I wanted a Ratel, I had to accept I could not commit.

Ah,well, plan B then: find a good left hand action, rebarrel to Ratel specs and have a 'poor man's Ratel'. I had a Richards Microfit Apache thumbhole left hand stock in my gun room, inletted for a M590-M595 left hand action, which I bought for peanuts (don't ask, I won't tell you. Last time I did I was threatened with physical violence and he is my dear friend...). So the search was on for a left hand Tikka, M590 or M595 with a .308 bolt face.

Time went on, endless hours spend trawling the net for the elusive left hand Tikka....March 2012, and Guntrader has an entry: 'Left Hand Tikka M590, in .308. Good condition, few rounds,great bargain'. As if I cared! I had stopped reading past M590 and on to the phone to the delightful gentleman that is Steve Beaty. A deal was done and a week later (through chance rather than design) my work had brought me to the rolling hills of Taunton, where I picked up the rifle.

Off it went to the Brock & Norris workshop, with the spec: 'Mike, make it like a Ratel, well, as much as a Ratel as you can make out of it!!'. After being furnished with some Cornish expletives and a pat in the back, I left the rifle in Mike's capable hands and was on my way. Secretly, I was very much looking forward to having this rifle, the fabled .308, accurate, lethal, cheap to shoot... My day would come!

Then, about a week ago, I turned up to the new super-dupper workshop, for my usual dose of abuse. After we exchanged pleasantries, the rifle emerged from the gunroom (by that stage it was wearing its shiny, much-promising Border 5R barrel and had been through the delights of Birmingham Proof House) and the Cornish Barrel Bending magician started his fiddling with it. Milling, chiseling, honing, sanding, new holes appeared, the barrel channel was broadened and the aluminium pillars made (the front one fashioned into a recoil-lug as well) all expertly at the lathe, mill and by hand. I was lucky to witness this and for anyone who hasn't, do try. Then you'll know what your money is paying for and bless all your saints you don't have to do it yourself!

The next day, a brown gloup was applied to the milled out recesses (what? did you expect me to get technical???), and hey-presto!!, rifle was aluminium pillar bedded the day after. With some more fiddling to get it all right, on Wednesday I was summoned to receive my long-awaited (well...not that long really...in gunsmithing terms!!!) jewel.

There she was, in her fancy stock, shiny new barrel, sitting pretty on the gun rack. I took her in my arms and I knew we're going to get on well.

'What you're gonna do with the stock??' the master enquired.

'I'll varnish it and stain it with a few coats of stuff, don't know what'...I sheepishly responded.

'Well, you turn up with this rifle looking like a tart's mantel piece...'

'I know, I know, I'll be abused with the rough end of a pineaple', I finished the sentence for him. 'Well, it won't look much worse than the camo tape that I'll put over the barrel, can't have the deer spooked by the shiny stuff!!', I continued making sure there's enough space so that he can't reach me.

Well, the bottom line is this: She was in my hands. I had the scope waiting for it, and with the help of Mr. Trent Firearms, Steve Jones who supplied the bases, I went home and started assembling the lot. Boy didn't she look pretty!!

So:

Action: Left hand Tikka M590

Barrel: Border Barrel, 18 inch long

Stock: Richard's Microfit Apache

Scope: Zeiss Victory FL 4-16x50T*

Moderator: Ace Ultra Jet-Z

IMG_0288-1.jpg

Invisible threadcap of course, and here's what she looks like with the moderator

IMG_0285-1.jpg

Tonight I had a chance to go out and try her out. I set up out on a friendly farmer's field, set her up on bags and put a target at 100yds.

IMG_0293.jpg

Boresighted it, and was surprised to find the reticle needed no adjustment. Put a round in the chamber and shot at the target, a hole appearing to the right and about 8 inches high from where I aimed...Now that was a a bit of the problem, given that I'm at the lowest setting of the scope (i.e. it don't go any lower...). I fiddled with it, whilst the rifle was soaking in solvents and fired the next three shots in sequence, no cleaning in between (a bit of German Salazar's technique on barrel breaking has passed on to me!!). Not very impressive, a stringing vertical group, but then again it could be that the rifle was just settling down. Not too downtroden, I soaked it in solvents again. It has to be said very little carbon fouling and no copper was noted in the cleaning procedure (KG1 and KG12 were my poisons).

I settled behind the rifle again, same aiming point and fired three more rounds. Well, to say I was chuffed will be as big as an understatement as Usain Bolt is a sprinter! A single hole between the other three that I had fired before was the only thing I could see.

IMG_0294.jpg

(I've numbered the shots for your convenience. Did I forget to mention that I was shooting ElCheapo Geco Ammo?)

So there we have it: An absolutely stunning (to me anyways!) rifle, with its first absolutely stunning group (when at home I measured it to be 0.508-0.308= 0.200 three shot group at 100yds).

Things will only improve from now on, and I see myself running to the shop tomorrow to buy another few boxes of that ammo, just in case!!

A big thank you to Mike for all his hard, expert and detailed work,and, of course, Rob for stopping Mike visiting the vegetable stall at Morrison's and obtaining a pineapple. Oh, and why Jezebel: well she is pretty, she is fancy but she is also lethal!!

Best wishes,

Finman

Another belter from Mr Norris, he's done 3 for me and every one shoots like this. Alas Finman you've understated the wait and the abuse I fear, but worth it in the end!

Mike

Nice write up and a lovely looking gun.

Mr Norris seams to be able to do no wrong. No wonder he has a new work, probably in Mayfair.

He must booked up till the next olympics.

Finnman,

Nice looking package - just 'different' enough - enjoy, you can't beat having a gun that's your own

True oil or (if you can get some) Wood Love is all that stock needs, not glossy, just a warm sheen.(you need to do something about the suppressor tape though ! B) )

Terry

Good morning all,

thank you for your comments, I shall use this topic to update the progress of this rifle and its field achievements (not much achievement is going to be gotten in the competition range, not through the rifle's fault, I may add!!).

Left hand rules for those cheeky ones to suggest that the bolt is on the 'wrong' side :lol:

Terry, I have also thought about oil only, however, I will be using this rifle in the field and I am anxious about waterproofing it. I suggested varnish, (satin though, not the horrible 'Remington laminate' gloss!!), as it provides some protection to water. I have even toyed wih the idea of using some light stain (perhaps something 'oaky') to dampen down the lovely purples and oranges of the laminate. Fetching as they may look, I am concerned about how it will look when I'm holding it fully clad in camo! However, I think I shall keep it clear (the varnish!) for the time being and see what happens. This is unknown territory for me and any advice will be welcome, particularly as it will save me from being abused with said pineapple!!

Best wishes,

Finman

Good point re. field use, a matt or satin 'sealant' of some sort?

If you are worried about final look you could always test any stain etc. on the wood under the butt pad?

Terry

Danish oil is what you want Finman,completely waterproof and you can hand rub it to get a nice satin finish similar to tru oil.

Mike

"Tart's Mantlepiece!!"

Na......

Stick a sling on it and you've got yourself a "Tart's Handbag!!!!" :wub:

He thinks he escaped the pineapple.... Not true. Can you say 'Del-Monte'? :ph34r:

Nice stick mate. BTW you're banned from bringing it stalking, people will think it's a prop from a Buck Rogers movie :lol:

G

Another belter from Mr Norris, he's done 3 for me and every one shoots like this. Alas Finman you've understated the wait and the abuse I fear, but worth it in the end!

Mike

Hi Mike,

indeed worth the wait. What has not come through however from my (lighthearted and on-the-humorous-side) account is the fact that Mike completed this work at a time of great upheaval for him. Having to move premises and complete a number of other jobs that were a lot more pressing than my rifle, and working under extreme pressure, he did always maintain his professionalism and good humour, delivering excellent service.

I may rub him for banter but never should anyone think of Mike as someone other than a perfectionist who will listen, advise wisely and execute perfectly. The 'abuse' is mostly my writting and not necessarily a reflection of the actual account of the rifle's built. After all, this is the third rifle that Mike built for me from scratch and all shoot the same: hole on hole everytime. If I weren't happy, I would have stopped at the first one.

As for you two gentlemen, Ratwhiskers and Zaitsev, I can now hold my own with your .308s and you will stop the teasing once my 'Buck Rogers Tart's handbag' does the job time and again! Jezebel has arrived :) Wait till I mess up the stock!!

best wishes

Finman

"I can hold my own"......

Too damn right you can!! I'm not offering personal services on that level!!

And if you do manage to hold your own, make sure you don't do it too tightly or it'll drop off and you'll do blind!!

Finish it with Tru-oil Finman. The stuff has alsorts of options from a high gloss to a dull matt. If you buy the kit, it comes with a product called stock sheen and conditioner. This is basically like a polish with ground pumice in it. When the stock has fully dried to a glass like finish, this stuff will knock the shine right back. I,ve used it loads of times when a hunting rifle needed the total protection of tru-oil, but not the high gloss sheen.

Beautiful gun by the way. :)

I,ve heard a lot of folk say "they wouldn,t have a border" :lol:

Mike never has any problems building tackdrivers with them, and i,ve never had one that was anything but great myself. Built a lot of accurate rifles on them.

Enjoy.

"I can hold my own"......

Too damn right you can!! I'm not offering personal services on that level!!

And if you do manage to hold your own, make sure you don't do it too tightly or it'll drop off and you'll do blind!!

Alright cheeky boy, have it your way :) I'll just inform the 'one with the brains' and he'll avenge me if ever the opportunity arises again (which I hope it will never do!). And you can keep your 'personal services' for your own pleasure :lol:

Finish it with Tru-oil Finman. The stuff has alsorts of options from a high gloss to a dull matt. If you buy the kit, it comes with a product called stock sheen and conditioner. This is basically like a polish with ground pumice in it. When the stock has fully dried to a glass like finish, this stuff will knock the shine right back. I,ve used it loads of times when a hunting rifle needed the total protection of tru-oil, but not the high gloss sheen.

Beautiful gun by the way. :)

I,ve heard a lot of folk say "they wouldn,t have a border" :lol:

Mike never has any problems building tackdrivers with them, and i,ve never had one that was anything but great myself. Built a lot of accurate rifles on them.

Enjoy.

I have to agree Dave, all the Border tubes I have had have been shooters, easy to dial in and machine well. There's a lot of trash talked about them but we should be grateful that we have one of the worlds finest barrel makers on our doorstep.

I have to agree Dave, all the Border tubes I have had have been shooters, easy to dial in and machine well. There's a lot of trash talked about them but we should be grateful that we have one of the worlds finest barrel makers on our doorstep.

+1

I have 6 rifles with border tubes on them and everyone of them is bullet on bullet!

Why import when we have this facility right here!

They can make you whatever you want!

Alright cheeky boy, have it your way :) I'll just inform the 'one with the brains' and he'll avenge me if ever the opportunity arises again (which I hope it will never do!). And you can keep your 'personal services' for your own pleasure :lol:

Ok big man... threaten me with baby :ph34r: brother will you??!! Didn't you already know we have a duck tape relationship already :wub:

Joking aside, I actually like the prity stick!! and the lads are right... there's nawt wrong with a border barrel, my 7-08 can atest to that!

Glad you've joined the club, now when we having a range day then??

Good morning all,

thank you for the suggestions on the stock treatment, it definitely gives me something to work with. I won't have time to deal with it till I come back from holiday at the beginning of September, so I will keep you posted on how it all turned out.

Foxshooter, I thought about beadblasting the barrel, but I decided to keep her 'shiny', to fit with the rest of the rifle look. If I decide otherwise in the future, I am sure that Mr. Norris will help to convert it to a nice beadblasted look, as he has done with my other 4 rifles.

With regard to the Richard's Microfit stocks, I found mine in the cancelled orders section but I am convinced that they did include Tikka M595 in their stock inlet inventory. I was just fortunate to check at a time when a stock was available. Granted, may not be the colour that I would have chosen had I ordered it, but it sort of grows on you once you handle the rifle :)

I have had nothing but good luck with Border barrels. My 6mmBR wears one and it still in the 0.1s and now this one. What is a common feature on both is that they do not foul, not with carbon nor with copper. When I last shot the .308, it cleaned with two patches (wet patch, brush, wet patch-which came out clean- dry patch, done! all with KG1) and has not shown any signs whatsoever of copper fouling. It is early days yet, but I am sure this feature will continue. So, not only silly accurate, but also easy to clean. It is only a Pac-Nor Select Match that I have in my 7x57 that behaves the same way.

I'm hoping to go out and shoot her again today, so I will hopefully have some more to report. And, Ratty, there's a range here for you anytime you want my friend, it will be a pleasure to spend a day shooting the breeze and punching holes on paper, it's been a long time... :)

Best wishes,

Finman

Very Nice Finman. Good to see yet another variation on a Tikka action.

E N J O Y

ATB

Peter

Thanks Peter, indeed, them M590/595s take some beating as actions. They are one of the 'hidden treasures' of the gun world and anyone with one will do well never to part ways with it!

I went out again yesterday after I managed to find out how to sort out the scope and, after a few zeroing shots, I shot this 11 shot group. The first shot at 12 o'clock comes out of a clean oiled bore. The other 10 are below :)

IMG_0308.jpg

I thought of stopping at 5, when it looked like this:

IMG_0304.jpg

but thought, what the heck, let's go for 10! The group can be covered with a 10p piece.

Again, all with Geco 170gn Target ammo and from sandbags on top of the hood of my truck

IMG_0305.jpg

Can't wait to start load development but it will have to wait till mid-September or so when I'm back from my holidays.

best wishes,

Finman

• 1 year later...

well after months and months of shooting paper and 6 blank stalks, I managed it! I shot an animal with this rifle (OK, not a trophy, but, heck, worth the mention at least!). Shot was nothing spectacular, 87yds away, although I had about 5 seconds (literaly) from when I saw the little doe till I shot it. Load was 44.1gn SO65, 180gn Sierra GK, CCIBR2 primer and a Lapua case.

Muntjac308_zps8bf850eb.jpeg

All the best,

Finman

Archived