Vortex challenge

oaken

He he he, looks like a fun day, anyone fancy doing a UK version ,,,,,?

"That Place" in mid Wales would be ideal but I dread to think how much it would cost.

I will willingly help with setting it up if someone can produce a venue.

What about Sennybridge? I have not been there yet so i may be talking nonsense but it sounds as though there is a lot of flexibility with target positions etc.

I also think that as many uk shooters seem to be a bit toooo fond of pies, maybe tone down the fitness aspect just a little? :-)

"That Place" in mid Wales would be ideal but I dread to think how much it would cost.

I will willingly help with setting it up if someone can produce a venue.

What about Sennybridge? I have not been there yet so i may be talking nonsense but it sounds as though there is a lot of flexibility with target positions etc.

I also think that as many uk shooters seem to be a bit toooo fond of pies, maybe tone down the fitness aspect just a little? :-)

too fond of pies! loving that!!!!

if you don't tune the fitness down to zero most i meet wouldn't even try ! just a walk to the firing point at wms would have an awful lot of shooters in need of oxygen !

Joking and dunin do nuts aside, i'd love to see something like this at a comp in the UK.

For those of us who stalk, its not to far removed from the physical exertion we undergoe ,,,,,

joking aside it would be a good comp or even just a practice day ?

you would need to balance speed against score and most importantly ensure you are only carrying what you actually need? i've spent years taking so much junk to the hill and then bringing it back unused!whilst the scottish professionals carry there rifle and a knife and a few rounds plus the obligitory 'piece'

i'm a slow learner.........

I would personally love to see something like this in the UK, I apreciate that the H&S issues would be messy...

But it would make for a very enjoyable, challenging competition.

I apreciate that the H&S issues would be messy...

As I see it, there is no legal reason why a group of individually insured rifle enthusiasts, all with open tickets, shouldn't get together for a friendly shoot on land on which the owner has granted permission.

I have been asking around for just such a piece of land for some time now. It's not easy asking a farmer if he would be prepared to let a bunch of unknown high powered gun owners converge on his land for a sniper derived competition!!!!!!!!! Though mentioning money does seem to help. 10 or 15 competitors each paying £10 or. £15 each would mean £200 in a farmers pocket for what will equate to a few tyre tracks. Still looking, though I have had some interest. One had inadequate backstops with footpaths everywhere while another couldn't believe that we needed more than 200yds :-0 Got another to visit soon though he has concerns about noise so I will have to explain/demonstrate how quiet a modern moderator can

Looking past the difficulty of finding a venue, I can see a group of regular shooters turning up to regular private meets maybe even bringing their own gongs to reduce any individual hosts financial outlay.

Well hey, I can dream..........

Rup

Someone must be able to find a suitable piece of land somewhere. Time to get out and start asking around.

Great stuff were to conservative here , Getting a sunny day would be the problem , and a sun shade for the scope WTF next.

ATB

I must admit I've become a little bored with many of the UK 'tactical/practical/long range' competitions. From having spent a few years shooting regional level F-Class and practical comps., it became apparent that as long as you had money to spend (plus were a half decent shot), you had a very good chance of being placed. However if half of those shooters had to carry their gear and shoot, they would have had a coronary after the fist hill or so.....

I would very much like to run a civilian competition like this.

I have access to ground where a shoot like this could be held, but as always insurance/H&S would be an issue. Currently I have a 100 yard 'range' built(some of you may have shot there with the BDS SW) and a layout where we can check zero's out to 400-600 yards on field rifles (if using A-max's/Expanding Bullets to save the steel and vastly reduce ricochets). I'm also still trying to secure access to the neighbouring forestry that would mean we could stretch to 1,400+ yards.

The ground also includes a 30 bed bunk house, large conference barn complete with projector, ABT, DTL & Sporting clay layout and its own 200 ft moorland climb to a tor and 300 ft concrete tunnel to crawl through - should one feel so inclined..

However since it is not a official range (except for the 100 yards bit & then only when the BDS shoot), only field conditioned rifles on open tickets could be used. The problem is running something like this with more than a couple of close friends (as we currently do), could be stretching the zeroing conditions on our FAC's perhaps a tad too much in the eyes of the police/individuals insurance etc....

As I said, I would love to run an event like this and any suggestions as to how to mitigate the above problem would be a great step in the right direction.

I'd love to see a comp like this in the UK too.

WMS has become far too commercial (subsitiute commercial for expensive :ph34r: ) for events like this as some members found out when trying to organise a repeat of the UKV golf event. It's great facility but by the time you've paid to travel, stay and shoot it costs a fortune.

Finding suitable land with an amenable landowner is easier said than done as me and Rup are finding.:rolleyes:

Gents,

A well thought out tactical comp is as much fun as you can have without taking your clothes off, look at things like The Allegheny Sniper Challenge, the recent 'Bushnell Brawl' at RO etc.

The running round bit is 'naff' in the first degeree , unless you want to run around going 'hut-hut-hut' etc. :ph34r: (come on please!!!) And while we're at forget Ghillie crawls - enjoyable but take up a whole morning as not many, if an, of us are 'snipers' then time is better spend getting to expend some challenging rounds.

If you have alocation and want to put something together I can get hold of typical courses of fire for you to work from or use as a basis - why have courses of fire you ask -if you do not have a plan or competiton set out then the day degenerates into 'plinking'.

One word or warning - if you start down this route you will never enjoy square on targets where only the wind changes ever again :lol:

If enough folks were interested after wa while then something could probably be arranged in the US that would really put a smile on your face.

Brgds Terry

The running round bit is 'naff' in the first degeree , unless you want to run around going 'hut-hut-hut' etc. :ph34r: (come on please!!!) And while we're at forget Ghillie crawls - enjoyable but take up a whole morning as not many, if an, of us are 'snipers' then time is better spend getting to expend some challenging rounds.

disagree about it being naff and the hut hut hut bit is purely optional! , i think a moderate amount of stress would improve the comp ? yes there is other ways to induce stress like time limits and shoot no shoot etc but i do believe as part of this type of comp it has a place.

totally agree about the ghillie crawl , way too time consuming and what most of us want to do with our valuble spare time is shoot having said that though a 100m crawl with your kit to the firing point (without ghillie suit) would be an eye opener for those who do not stalk and only range shoot?

this comp could be won by a superb but unfit shot or a mediocre shot who is relativly fit ?

TackB

You are taking me too literally, the 'hut hut' was with tongue very firmly in cheek.

I meant doing the whole comp 'on the run' is not the way. Without doubt move and shoot, put in a basic O course, things to shoot over/under/thru' etc. and definitly you carry all your kit for the day i.e. what you go out the door with is 'it' - you soon learn what's necessary and what's not.

Stress can be put in with time, thinking and movement or a combination of all three, but the best stages just have one thing to trip you up which could be as simple as the order of targets engaged or what targets you can/can't shoot (given to you as you run up to the FP).

I would opt for a team shoot to encourge spotting and corrections etc. - but that's just me.

I feel that the starting point for a true tactical comp here in the UK is not setting out with the idea of running a KIMM's with a rifle and pack :)

Terry

I'm not too bothered about the running either but it is the fact that this aspect makes you think about what kit you actually need that appeals to me. If people have to carry their kit all day they won't be bringing benchrests etc.

TackB

You are taking me too literally, the 'hut hut' was with tongue very firmly in cheek.

I meant doing the whole comp 'on the run' is not the way. Without doubt move and shoot, put in a basic O course, things to shoot over/under/thru' etc. and definitly you carry all your kit for the day i.e. what you go out the door with is 'it' - you soon learn what's necessary and what's not.

Stress can be put in with time, thinking and movement or a combination of all three, but the best stages just have one thing to trip you up which could be as simple as the order of targets engaged or what targets you can/can't shoot (given to you as you run up to the FP).

I would opt for a team shoot to encourge spotting and corrections etc. - but that's just me.

I feel that the starting point for a true tactical comp here in the UK is not setting out with the idea of running a KIMM's with a rifle and pack :)

Terry

don't worry i'm not a literal kind of guy.........

i wouldn't fancy the whole comp running either! but i am a massive fan of if you cant carry it you you don't need it!

i tried to organise a skill at arms shoot with my club but the logistics just became unmanagble ! it was based around a shooter spotter team format and included all sorts of shooting tests as well as knife throwing, archery,dummy grenade throwing, grenade launching with an smle with cup launcher and wooden grenades,i even planned a catuplult stage! most of the non firearm stages were to occupy the competitors between shooting stages rather than have them stand about?

i hope this goes somewhere it would be fun?

Archived