Ranging on stickledown

No i deer

This is a topic on another forum.

My question is has anybody ranged from the 1000yds firing point to big holes made by the bullet splashes  in the sandbanks behind the target frames or has any of you been down in the butts and has a good idea how far the sandbanks are from the targets.

Cheers No I deer 

Yep - I did it many years ago when I was trying to get 'on' at 1000 yds with a black powder cartridge rifle chambered in 45-90.  I could see my sand splashes halfway up the bullet-catcher but no strikes on the target.  I went down in the lunch hour to find out what was happening and was surprised to see how far the bullet-catcher is behind the targets.  The bullets were over the top of the target by about 10 feet!   Unfortunately I can't remember the distance but it's quite a way. At Diggle it's about 15 yards so a strike on the sand is representative.  Maybe 50 yards at Bisley?

I went to the butts years ago and I was also suprised how much space there was between the targets and the stop butt. There was plenty of space to park cars. I would concur that it's around 50yds.

could you get an estimate from Google Earth using their measuring tool?  I've found it to be accurate to better than a foot

The question was asked to the NRA a day or 2 ago and the reply was we don't know 😁. I can recall other club mates ranging the target board from the firing points years ago and they were getting 999yds/1000yds which is the +/- tolerances on there rangefinder so they then knew there rangers were reading correctly.....

Measured on Google Earth, given the range to the targets as exactly 1000yds, then the very top of the sand bullet catcher is +40 yards.

• 2 months later...