6x47 Lapua A-Max to ELD-X. help

goldie

I found the 6.5CM 143 ELD-X the hardest work of any load development I've ever done.

I use Viht N150 in all my 6.5CM loads at the moment, (Maybe not the best choice with hindsight) but I will move over to Swiss when it runs out in a few weeks. I'll do a lot more research as to what type of Swiss this time.... Having said all the above, i found a great load with N150 very quickly using the 139 Scenar, and with the 130 Sierra TMK. I've got reasonable groups/loads now with the 143 ELD-X's but it's been by far the hardest work I've had in building a good load.

In fact i'd be happy to sell my last sealed full box ELD-X, or swap it for a box of Sierra 130 TMK's! 

Chaz

Are you target shooting with them ? Iv just looked in to nosler bullets for " hunting " that is , there's ballistic tip hunting 90 & 95 grain spitzers

or the ballistic tip varmint but only go up to 80 grain . The 87 grain V-max could well be the best bet along with the 95 grain nosler bullets for hunting that is ... 

If its solely target then you have allot of choice sir smk Tmk scenar clinch rivers D-tac and more .

+1 for the 95gn Nosler BT.

My cousin loads them in his .243 and I can attest to their explosive performance on all deer, including Reds. The excellent bullet design coupled with a high velocity, every deer simply dropped in its tracks. 

goldie do you know how long your freebore is if any ? Im assuming you have a custom barrel ? My 6br has a 104" fb to suit the Amax 105 , but iv got some eld to try but still have 2-300 Amax left . So would be good info on your distance out the case neck etc ? Cheers 

In 6.5x47 shooting 123 Scenars OBT node 4 is at around 2970fps. Mine shoots around 0.3 MOA on this node but I can't come far off it or groups open up. With a 129 ABLR the same node is at 2930 fps which I can almost hit at 2920 fps before pressure starts to show. Barrel is 26". If you want to play node 4 with 130's you could really do with 28" if you're going to stay at sensible pressures.

Move to the 140 class of bullet and you can't get to node 4, having to settle at node 5 at around 2770 fps. Up to the 147's and it's at around 2730 fps. These are both well under pressure at 26" but come down to 23" and pressure is good.

I know OBT is a bit of a marmite theory, but it works for me across all 4 rifles and I find it makes load development very easy.

I stick with the 120-130 class of bullet as I can get to node 4 with the 26" barrel, but will be building a light weight 22" barrelled rifle to shoot 129 ABLR's at 2770 fps which will be perfect for Fallow and down.

On 4/7/2019 at 3:36 PM, Catch-22 said:

+1 for the 95gn Nosler BT.

My cousin loads them in his .243 and I can attest to their explosive performance on all deer, including Reds. The excellent bullet design coupled with a high velocity, every deer simply dropped in its tracks. 

Another here for the 95 grain nosler. Very very accurate at 3k FPS and hit like a sledgehammer. Have done  everything apart from CWD with the  above .

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/7/2019 at 3:48 PM, trucraft said:

I also have two loads, amax & 95grn BT load for my 6x47L The Nosler shoot well for me at 3000fps. Both are very affective on deer.

Hi can I ask what powder you are using with your 95 nosler by 

On 4/16/2019 at 8:41 PM, NigelM said:

In 6.5x47 shooting 123 Scenars OBT node 4 is at around 2970fps. Mine shoots around 0.3 MOA on this node but I can't come far off it or groups open up. With a 129 ABLR the same node is at 2930 fps which I can almost hit at 2920 fps before pressure starts to show. Barrel is 26". If you want to play node 4 with 130's you could really do with 28" if you're going to stay at sensible pressures.

Move to the 140 class of bullet and you can't get to node 4, having to settle at node 5 at around 2770 fps. Up to the 147's and it's at around 2730 fps. These are both well under pressure at 26" but come down to 23" and pressure is good.

I know OBT is a bit of a marmite theory, but it works for me across all 4 rifles and I find it makes load development very easy.

I stick with the 120-130 class of bullet as I can get to node 4 with the 26" barrel, but will be building a light weight 22" barrelled rifle to shoot 129 ABLR's at 2770 fps which will be perfect for Fallow and down.

Can I ask what powder & primers you’re using?

I previously used CCI 450s and found they gave very inconsistent and erratic ES/SD, and group sizes with loads either side of my desired charge would rapidly mushroom. Switched to Muroms and both groups and ES/SD instantly shrunk.

I concur with 123g Scenar velocities hovering around 2920-2950 being a lovely node, 0.25-0.35” groups consistently, which is fine for shooting off bipod and beanbag.

This has been proven in two 6.5x47’s I’ve had, both with N140 and RS62. One rifle with 24”, the latest with 26”. RS52 performed very poorly for me, both groups & ES/SD, shame as I had high hopes.

2 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

I concur with 123g Scenar velocities hovering around 2920-2950 being a lovely node, 0.25-0.35” groups ...

Ditto and stumbled on it with first Varget load!    2940fps.

21 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

Can I ask what powder & primers you’re using?

I previously used CCI 450s and found they gave very inconsistent and erratic ES/SD, and group sizes with loads either side of my desired charge would rapidly mushroom. Switched to Muroms and both groups and ES/SD instantly shrunk.

I concur with 123g Scenar velocities hovering around 2920-2950 being a lovely node, 0.25-0.35” groups consistently, which is fine for shooting off bipod and beanbag.

This has been proven in two 6.5x47’s I’ve had, both with N140 and RS62. One rifle with 24”, the latest with 26”. RS52 performed very poorly for me, both groups & ES/SD, shame as I had high hopes.

I'm using RL15 and CCI450's. SD running at around 9 on a 5 shot group. 

It's very temperature sensitive, about 2fps/degF. I try to do all my load development on days which are hovering around 50 degF which helps keeps it reasonable on a warmer day and a cooler one. Made the mistake of doing a lot of load development summer before last at around 70 degC and then couldn't work out why it was shooting so poorly when I went to Scotland in October and the temperature was hovering around 40 degF :)

I have found significant throat erosion with this combination. The barrel has shot around 800 rounds and the throat has gone back 0.151". It's still shooting but I don't know for how much longer. The double base RL15 isn't helping but I suspect the still in the PacNor barrel is pretty soft. Someone I know has a LW barrel which is particularly hard steel and is up to 1500 shots with a very similar load to mine and has no where near the erosion.