Reloading Advice

levelplaying

What's the best approach to reloading:

Decap, tumble, resize with lube in mouth

Clean, decap and resize with lube in mouth

Does it matter what lube is used and does the lube then need to be cleaned out before loading, or does this depend on the lube

I have excluded the other parts to the reloading process, such as measuring length of case, de-burring etc. I am just interested in terms of de-capping and resizing, and when to use a lube inside the case mouth .

Many thanks

You'll probably get a load of different answers, but for me it's as follows:

Run cleaning brush into case neck

Lube case full length and in case mouth

Decap and full length size

Trim case to length

Deburr and chamfer case mouth

Clean case in wet tumbler with stainless steel media

Dry and put away with other cases of same make and number of firings ready  to load as as when required

Cheers

Bruce

For me it's slightly different:

Decap;

Tumble;

Anneal;

Apply sizing wax (I use Imperial Lanolin) a little to the outside and use a brush to apply a thin smear to the inside of the necks;

FL re-size, wipe off (cotton bud for the inside);

Trim to length;

Chamfer case mouth and debur;

Clean up primer pockets and flash holes;

Ultrasonic clean for 15 minutes followed by hot air stacked dryer (to ensure all

wax and shavings are removed);

Prime;

Load, shoot and repeat the process.

2 hours ago, levelplaying said:

Thanks Phoenix.

If I lube and resize an de-cap at same time will that not eventually ruin the sizing die from the dirt

I just realised I had forgotten the very first step:blush:

I've edited the post to show that I clean the inside of the necks as my first step.

That reduces the chance of the sizing die getting dirt on it

Cheers

Bruce

I use two methods depending on my level of anal OCD at the time.

Method One:

1. Wire wool necks with fine grade wool.

2. Lube with Imperial sizing wax and decap and full length size.

3. Wipe off sizing wax, dip necks in Redding dry lube and run necks through proprietary neck expander mandrel. 

Job done - Sod any cleaning.

Method Two:

1. Tumble cases

2. As 2 above 

3. As 3 above

4. Ultrasonic cases to remove all traces of ludricants.

5. Leave cases in airing cupboard over-night.

I recently started batching brass so that I could do the cleaning and drying in larger numbers (it's one part of the process I hate doing) and came across one of these for the drying.  Holds a fair few hundred cases and removes all traces of moisture without leaving water spots (I use that Seaclean stuff) in about 30mins to an hour:

9271938809886.jpg

Cost is about £25 to £30 if you shop around.

I've got one, it does work well after you have used the ultrasonic cleaner, just stick e in and switch for 30mins and all your cases are lovely and dry, Got mine from Henry Kranks i think it was more than £30 though, Just google Case dryer.

9 hours ago, GT3_richy said:

Where did you get yours from Varm, what is their actual intended use?

Mine came from some on-line cookshop for £26, same as the one in the photo Rich.  It can be used for drying cases cleaned in U/S baths or that have been wet tumbled. It dries rapidly and evenly at a low temp (mine are done at 60 degrees for 30 mins) no water marks on cases.  Don't pay over the odds for one sold in gun shops as like the U/S cleaners, they're just re-branded goods made probably in the same place as sold on Ebay and elsewhere.

Hi VarmLR

Is Lee case sizing lube not very good. Any reason why you favour the Imperial lanolin and where do you get it from. I couldn't find anything online. Also, I see that you tumble once and then ultra clean,, Could I just tumble again instead of ultra clean to get rid of the lube inside the case.

I understand from speaking to a reloading shop that it isn't imperative to clean any lee lube residue from the case mouth.

20 minutes ago, onpar said:

Hi VarmLR

Is Lee case sizing lube not very good. Any reason why you favour the Imperial lanolin and where do you get it from. I couldn't find anything online. Also, I see that you tumble once and then ultra clean,, Could I just tumble again instead of ultra clean to get rid of the lube inside the case.

I understand from speaking to a reloading shop that it isn't imperative to clean any lee lube residue from the case mouth.

Imperial Sizing Die Wax, available from many places.....or you could make your own case lube with liquid lanolin and isopropyl alcohol

Thanks for the dryer info Kev/Varm/Dave, I hate waiting for cases to dry after putting them through the U/S or LEM, will get shopping shortly :)

For me, I:

1. Decap

2. Tumble/clean

3. Lube, resize (f/l die then expander mandrel)

If you don't decap first you're not going to get the primer pockets cleaned. When decapping, you'll see all the carbon/primer residue left in the pocket, which can cause issues trying to seat a new primer. Decapping first, then cleaning, gets those primer pockets nice and clean, ready for a new primer.

15 hours ago, baldie said:

On the subject of sizing wax. I've used Imperial for years, then tried a tin of the Hornady one-shot wax the other day.

Its far better than imperial. 

Why do you say that Dave. It what way is it better!?

Its seems to have a much higher lubricity.

With imperial, when heavy sizing, you sometimes wonder when the case is half way in....whether its gonna come back out. 

None of that with the hornady product.

Archived