Compact solution! Long range 7.62 setup

Zeissman

Hi all,

Bit of advice required for a man about to build his first full custom rifle please. Initially, I started off with a money no object, weight no object brief chasing complete accuracy between 300m and 800m. Then I switched my brain on, realised that I hadn't won the Euromillions, and decided that I wanted to be a bit different anyway! I've done quite a bit of research on this now and have got most of the basics selected (action, barrel, scope, etc.) but there is one thing that hasn't quite settled yet. The chassis. I am quite keen on making it a bit more transportable than your average tactical set-up but without losing any accuracy. There are other benefits but the biggest reason is that I live in a built up area at the moment and don't like having to lug large rifle cases to and from the vehicle in front of neighbours. I love a little bit of engineering cleverness combining form and function and anything like a Pfeiffer Waffen or a PSG with the action set back in the stock to reduce overall length is great fun but probably not that natural to operate. For a 7.62 rig that has good capability out to 1000m are there any folding or removable stocks out there beyond AI or even any takedown systems where one doesn't need to remove the scope or the barrel from the action that I should be thinking about? (I.e. Quickly remove the barrel, action and scope as one piece from the stock with repeatable zero).

All best and thank you for any help,

Z.

Dolphin make one as do eblestock (the folk who make the rucksacks) and third eye tactical are the main 3 that spring to mind,

There is a ar type looking stock that tac fire sell for Remington actions which you should I'd imagine be able to put a collapsible but on

Good luck

If you go for a folder; make sure the stock folds to the side that the bolt sticks out (so that the bolt nests in it).........lots of rifles have this wrong (incl AW, AX and AICS although AI corrected it for the PSR contract where it was specified properly...) .........which makes the thing bloomin uncomfortable to carry folded

Starting from a clean slate as you are, I would cross off every stock that folds.up the opposite side of the rifle to the bolt handle.

If you go for a folder; make sure the stock folds to the side that the bolt sticks out (so that the bolt nests in it).........lots of rifles have this wrong (incl AW, AX and AICS although AI corrected it for the PSR contract where it was specified properly...) .........which makes the thing bloomin uncomfortable to carry folded

Starting from a clean slate as you are, I would cross off every stock that folds.up the opposite side of the rifle to the bolt handle.

Just looked at Manners........one to cross off, .folding up one side, bolt handle sticking out the other side = lumps on both sides and no comfy way to carry it folded http://mannersstocks.com/folders/

It's not my project, but why would you avoid those?

Plenty of responses re the stock so can I be a bit 'naughty' and challenge your desire for a .308 at 1000 yards...there are better calibre choices unless its for F/TR use?

It's not my project, but why would you avoid those?

He's says in the post above, so tht one side is flat so when slung it doesn't stick in your back. Ift he folder is on one side and the bolt on the other there is no smooth side.

Though in fairness I doubt from the sound of this build it is likely to carried folded on a sling for long if at all and is more to fit in a nice small bag nd to look the part in which case it's moot.

It might get carried but more likely to be in a bag for any distance. Good thoughts on the fold edge - hadn't even occurred to me! Let's not get onto calibre please! Don't want to blow up the thread!

Any detachable stock options out there that I should also look at?

Z.

Then again - consider the benefits of a golf-bag cover when moving kit to car.

Order the rifle you want and slip it into the appropriate drag-bag or soft cover.

Then you benefit from a storage solution that is discrete and has its own wheels!

http://www.golflady.com/-Slazenger-Classic-Golf-Bag-Cover-_p_61.html

Then again - consider the benefits of a golf-bag cover when moving kit to car.

Order the rifle you want and slip it into the appropriate drag-bag or soft cover.

Then you benefit from a storage solution that is discrete and has its own wheels!

http://www.golflady.com/-Slazenger-Classic-Golf-Bag-Cover-_p_61.html

Good idea-golf is fairly acceptable to most ....but don't blow it with the wrong Jacket!

Seriously,though,well done for being discrete.

Seriously though,well done for being discrete.

Errr - my neighbours get to see me with carcasses on my shoulder moving in and out of the larder. Think my cover is blown! :)

Not everyone gets to live in rural surroundings however, and it is sometimes nice to have an option.

For the ultimate in urban-cam - check out London Hunter's take-down K95 rifle case. Great concept!

LHCase_zpsc8731505.jpg

For comparison, here is my .22lr, my 7x57 & my SxS 16 bore with a Schmidt in a convenient travel case.......

NegriniwithSauerDrilling640x480.jpg

and closed with a mobile phone for comparison....

Negrini640x480.jpg

Amazing how much you can fit into a small brief-case! :)

Rgds

Ian

Have a look at the Sauer 202 range if you want an off the peg take down rifle. All the features of a Blaser in a package that works and fires when the triggers pulled. I use a very traditional Elegance model for stalking but there is a wide variety to choose from -maybe something like the wolverine model may suit you better.

Have a look at the Sauer 202 range if you want an off the peg take down rifle. All the features of a Blaser in a package that works and fires when the triggers pulled. I use a very traditional Elegance model for stalking but there is a wide variety to choose from -maybe something like the wolverine model may suit you better.

Used to take the butt off my 308 Sauer 202 and stick the rifle inside my rucksack for transiting through London for the Sleeper. As much time to put back together as a putting the barrel on a blaser.

Think the one thing many get wrong with 202s is this weird association the rifle seems to have with apel mounts. Apel must be the most fiddly; scope high off the rifle, and scope marking mounts ever made. On both my 202s I managed to get warne 2-piece picatinny rails and use 'normal' rings.

Errr - my neighbours get to see me with carcasses on my shoulder moving in and out of the larder. Think my cover is blown! :)

Not everyone gets to live in rural surroundings however, and it is sometimes nice to have an option.

For the ultimate in urban-cam - check out London Hunter's take-down K95 rifle case. Great concept!

LHCase_zpsc8731505.jpg

For comparison, here is my .22lr, my 7x57 & my SxS 16 bore with a Schmidt in a convenient travel case.......

NegriniwithSauerDrilling640x480.jpg

and closed with a mobile phone for comparison....

Negrini640x480.jpg

Amazing how much you can fit into a small brief-case! :)

Rgds

Ian

Very nice Ian.

Got both Blaser and Sauers but they are not really long range rifles. I can squeeze the LMT or TRG into a short pelicase (stock off on the TRG) my best suggestion is the rifle that the Shooting Shed makes. Barrel and stock come off, takes ACS mags I think but you might need to confirm this. very 'Day of the Jackal'

Archived