AI AX 308

Ronin

I ordered an AI AX in 7.62x51 last year, it arrived a couple of weeks ago. Since then, ive not had the opportunity to get out to zero or practice with it.

Rifle is following spec;

20" fluted barrel, 20 MOA picatinny, target ajustable butt plate, quick ajust rear mono pod, adjustable cheekpiece (not quick ajust) folding stock, quick release sling attachments, flat dark earth sides.

Ive fitted my Atlas bipod and my 4-16 PM11 illuminated using TPS rings.

Images taken with phone so not great, sorry - -4 degrees and blowing 15 mph crosswind

IMG_1283_zps74cbae83.jpg

IMG_1285_zpsce9bbf12.jpg

IMG_1284_zps25750263.jpg

Decided to go to do a little load testing and couldn't for the life of me recall what my previous "accurate" load was on my AW I used to own, Brown Dog is renowned for his thorough and intensly scientific load testing, so I contacted him for his data....

I made up 5 of Matts load and made 10 others in .5 grain increments (increasing)

When I arrived on the range I checked zero with two shots of my remmy stalking rifle (6.5x284) and then stopped for a chat with my mate who farms the land and took the pics of the AX above, the weather and light started closing in soon after,,,about the time I started shooting the AX

First shot was well low, at the bottom of the target, I reset the scope on the point of impact, then chose a dot and fired another shot.

This time I was a little low and left of the target dot, so I ajusted again, then fired a three shot group.

I walked out to the target and checked it - happy, all three were touching.

Light was failing so I got back to the firing point and shot another 5 shots using a .5g more load than the last, while doing so found I was losing the aim point...., so no chance of a record breaking group, I gave up at that point.

Packed up and home, weather and light gone- five mins after stopping;

IMG_1287_zpsdbed7784.jpg

Results of the first group - 1 shot was low left and after re-ajustment, this is a three shot group, which i'm well pleased with;

Ax3081_zps777cd44e.jpg

Second group, shot between two dots with no defined target and light failing......

TgtGfx-1_zpsdd90dda2.jpg

By way of comparison,,,,,and unrelated to this post

two shots just to check zero on the 6.5x284 stalking rifle I rebarrelled a couple of years ago - Barnes 130 TSX ....its set at an inch high at 100, I didn't bother with windage...

TgtGfx1-1_zpsdb1d574d.jpg

Think it was slightly misted up as it was in my pocket warm and snug then inti sub zero for the pics.

Cant win em all...

AI's cant beat them for out the box - does exactly as it says on the tin accuracy.

Every AE MK I, II, III, AW & AWSM, I've had,have been ultra accurate and reassuringly well built.

In fact all the friends I've shot with who've had AI's, have all had amazingly accurate rifles to.

Kind Regards

Rob

NOT Jealous , as I have AWs , AWM , AWSM & AX338 , ME as I cannot get me mitts on NV gear , have no need for the mechno rails , got the AX is it is finally a scaled UP action to fit the 338LM better .

Just had my OLD school AWF 308 on the range at 600yds yesterday , all that saw her , said see was a tackdriver , and seemed surprised ( thats the tgt crowd for you ) , ME NO surprise .

Enjoy your AI , you always knew its what you really WANTED .

QUESTION , what mags you going to use , std AW or the AX ( with front hook ) , ?

Later Chris

Hi Chris,

it takes the AX dedicated mags without the spacer - seem just as good to load and easy to get the mag in place with the section thats been removed from the chassis side.

Darryl,

yep, ive come full circle,,,,just taken a few years to realise I should have kept the AW... however the AX seems alot handier and more comfortable to shoot that the AW - I certainly wouldnt have AW again due to uncomfortable stock, the AX is totally different in that respect.

The only thing I need to look at is the trigger release as its a little heavy in the second stage, may try single stage....

I'll post some better pictures later of the details specific to the AX over the AE/AW

Decided to go to do a little load testing and couldn't for the life of me recall what my previous "accurate" load was on my AW I used to own, Brown Dog is renowned for his thorough and intensly scientific load testing, so I contacted him for his data....

:lol:

Great result :)

NO , I meant are you going to use the std AW308 slide in mags ( as I hear you can use them if you wish ) , or the AX308 which have the lug at front like a FN/AK mag & rock it back ?

Was not talking of the AICS mags .

Later Chris

AI's cant beat them for out the box - does exactly as it says on the tin accuracy.

Every AE MK I, II, III, AW & AWSM, I've had,have been ultra accurate and reassuringly well built.

In fact all the friends I've shot with who've had AI's, have all had amazingly accurate rifles to.

Kind Regards

Rob

Can't be beat?

It looks like the 6.5 stalking rifle might!!

george

Fair point! I have used AIs a lot and they do what it says on the box. Depending on ammo, I think they get better past 300 metres in 308. Mine was replaced with the LMT (uk spec) which seems just as good. Not as eye catching as the AX though. In my humble opinion AI have missed the bus in relation to military sniper contracts but the AICS chassis system with the T3 option is a great idea. They should have been making an AR in 308 for the military market to compete against the LMT and the awful HK 417. The AX option with 308/338 interchange might win a few sales!

I would of course buy one but am running out of goodwill for 308 certificate slots and my wife has now realised that all rifles do not look the same and asks searching questions.

George

the stalking rifle is a custom I built a while ago and delivers almost one hole accuracy out to quite a distance when I do my part,, I only posted the target, as I was pleased with the group - if two shots is ever a group.... :D

The AI interchangeable system is called the PSR, its not dissimilar to the AX, but way way more expensive. like 12 grand for a rifle, two barrels and two bolts.....

You can buy an AX in 338 or 308, 260, 6.5x47 etc, but they are not interchangeable between bolt faces.

I plan to machine a barrel in 6.5x47 and then use that calibre mainly, although the way it seems to shoot in 308 is making me wonder about that....

Chris,

not tried the old AW mags in it, I got two 10 round mags with the rifle, they are the clip in AX type.

Fair enough,TSG.I don't think it says very much measureable on the box,but they are good rifles-among some others that are in the same ball park.But lack the glitz (perhaps panache-but certainly the kudos of being a British Army choice.)

Given the popularity and sensible price of the T3,I'm sure the Aics clone will be popular too,for the same reasons. AR (15?) in 308 have hardly been a great success. 338 is unlikely to sell well in UK,nothing really to do with the merits/not of the cartridge/rifle-it's just not very shootable(ranges/cost etc).I hope you can turn your advisor's interest to good use-it's more of an issue when 'authorities' take the view that they are all the same.Perhaps some pink Viper skins?

george

ps:6.5 needs to fire another shot,at least.

I really do fancy one of these rifles, it did seriously cross my mind last year but my sometimes sensible side kicked in and found it difficult to justify, especially as my AW shoots so well.

But yet again the I like new shiny things side of me is looking, and I am waiting for a quote to come back, I'll see how the numbers work out especially as the AW will have to go to fund it, but unfortunately I'm not in the position to have both

The PSR comes with three barrels and bolt heads. So you're sort of getting three AIs for your £12.5k... If you put it like that, it's a bargain!

TSG - I'm not quite sure AI have missed the bus with regards to military sniper contracts! The British, German and Swedish armies would probably disagree as well! :P

The 6.5x284 is my own work and its what I hope my builds achieve with load development and a steady hand.

The AX,,,,, I owe everything to Brown Dogs scientific, methodical and intense methods of load development - he is unparalelled in this field..

Ronin,

At last! :). Just need some decent weather and the oppertunity to shoot some 'stuff'

Never come across an AI that did not shoot.

Terry

The AX,,,,, I owe everything to Brown Dogs scientific, methodical and intense methods of load development - he is unparalelled in this field..

:lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

Need an emoticon for coughing the word 'ar--h-le!' into my hand. :lol::)

Archived