Cleaning 22LR, how often?

Toby

Hi, this has probably been done to death but how often do you clean your 22LR's. I am aware that some clean as per centrefire rifles whilst others clean when they remember and have bad memories :) . I have recently bought a CZ 455 American and have now put approx 500 rounds through it with and without a moderator. I had pretty much decided to adopt the dont clean regime but when I screwed on my moderator the other day a load of sand like grit came out of the mod and coated both threads. I managed to brush it free but it got me thinking about it maybe being unburnt powder. I had a quick look down the bore after shooting a box of Eley Sport and there was also quite alot of debris. What do you guys think?

FYI the CZ shoots well, 5 shot group @ 50m with Eley Sport.

Tafoto-0025.jpg

In a nut shell mate, I would only clean mine if/when the accuracy went off! I have put over 1500- 2000 rds through mine without a lean (just the odd bore snake through to remove the large stuff)and it still shoots groups like yours. If its shooting well id leave it alone mate.

But im sure everyone has their own opinion.

Steve.

I cant remember the last time I cleaned my bolt action barrel. I regularly clean the crud off around the chamber face and bolt face and lube the cocking mechanism.

In my custom semi its the same really, never clean barrel that often but for the action to cycle flawlesly and reliably it needs cleaned every 200 rounds or so. If not then you pay the price when you need it to work.

I use lapua master m ammo in both guns and they are moly coated type rounds with a grwasy finish on them. I dont think that its just as important as centrefire ccleaning as there is less heat and the rounds coat the barrel everyshot.

You could however do more harm than good with over cleaning or a bad cleaning procedure so once in a blue moon for me.

This however is just like a cat licking its ass, it may not be everyones taste but it sure works for me :) :)

Regards

Garry

ONLY cleaned my cz brno twice-once when i bought it and second time 6 yrs later when i sold it.the bolt and action got a spruce up now and then but thats it. accuracy never altered.i dont know as to the modern .22rimmys but clean as a few have said if the accuracy drops off.

I can get away without cleaning My CZ varmint- however its at its very best about 20 rounds on from a realy good clean, this just re-leads the barrel. You don't need the harsher copper solvents and the like of course but LR ammo is messy stuff all waxes and unburned powder etc. I use a mild powder solvent and Krol. At 50 yds you can hardly tell the difference cleaned or uncleaned though at 100 it makes a heck of a difference and it wont perform at is peak at this range after around 60 or 70 rounds. It's peak is pretty darn good though i am looking for a full 5 shot mag into 1/2 - 3/4 average (it can actually do better) using Lapua subs i am lucky if i get 2" dirty though.

Recently i thought "this guns just not quite what it was" so i gave it a really good clean including stripping the bolt down and removing the extractors etc. Sure enough it came back full on song, take heed no clean is ok if your a lazy so and so who is happy with good to mediocre accuraccy and a few dead bunnies but if your the retentive type do your self a favour and clean it

All the guys who say they dont clean etc etc are very lucky, i also rarely clean the barrels like a CF but both of my 22 rimfires (CZ bolt and 10/22)need the action cleaning. The Ruger i have is well accurate enough for vermin shooting but starts to jam as a lot do when the action is gumming up with powder residue.

The CZ i just feel is much smoother when clean chamber, bolt, extractor claw and i suppose in my case its down to engineering background, if its properly maintained and lubricated it surely must last longer.

Cheers

Hi,

As previously stated, with most rimfires the bore only needs cleaning once in a blue moon. Wax, lead shavings and powder residue can clog up the bolt face, extractor and feed ramp. One point rarely mentioned is that fouling can work it's way into the bolt past the firing pin and then build up and cause miss-fires by reducing firing pin protrusion. Even more important is cleaning rimfire moderators. How many times have we shaken a rimfire moderator and heard hard (almost ceramic) residue rattling within? The rifle is then slung over the shoulder and some of the residue falls down the bore, the next bullet then drags particles back up the barrel with the risk of causing damage to what is often soft barrel steel in a rimfire,

Alan

I clean mine every 100 rounds or so, I clean it with a brush and solvent.

I am a very fussy guy with accuracy and after 100 rounds my CZ starts to throw fliers, the cleaning puts the bullets back on the money every time.

Weird. My experiences were just the opposite. My accuracy doesn't settle in until after a handful of rounds. If i took solvent and a brush to the barrel I'd be firing a 100 fouling shots just to get the groups back. Ever tried just shooting through the fliers until it settles down again? I'd wager a beer the accuracy will eventually settle back in and stay there as long as you keep the brush and solvent away from the bore.~Andrew

I use a halfway house principle with my Annie - one pull through after each outing with Napier gun oil/cleaner...puts round on round at 50m easy after thousands of rounds, and always has!

Quick and easy, and if done carefully, should keep your rifle serviceable for a lifetime.

Guest richness

Mine varies with ammo.

It's a rimfiremagic custom with a Green Mountain barrel

It used to shoot those lovely oily Lapua subs and i would only pull it through every so often (say 500) and clean the action quickly to ensure reliable running

I switched to WW subs for the extra knockdown (and that makes a big difference) and they are absolutely minging - very waxy

These normally need a quick 3 pull throughs every 50 rounds, then 3shots into the ground to get it back on song. No solvents, just the pull through. Action is best cleaned , after much experimentation, by squirting/flushing out with GT85. Takes 2secs and you're good to go

Recently, however, i have found a supply of accurate, consistent and MUCH cleaner WW subs, of which i have bought LOTS ;) I tested these and the gun is back to basically needing no barrel cleaning. The semi-auto cycing side of things is much improved too, with a spray of GT85 needed much less often.

So in summary, IME it is all down to how waxy the round is.

Archived