Stolen scope

6mmBR

Hi guys I heard some sad and disturbing news today whilst in Diggle.

Tony Marsh a fellow F class shooter had a Night Force 12-42x56 NXS with a CH3 reticule stolen from the boot of his car whilst he was shooting on Stickledown range Bisley.

The brazen thief stole it from his car whilst he was shooting no more than 20 yards away.

Please be vigilant when on the range I thought generally shooters were good people. When Tony told me this I was gob smacked and can't beleive a fellow shooter would rob another.

Please if anyone hears of a cheap NXS going or sees one for sale matching the discription let us know.

Stay vigilant.

Dave

That's bad news Dave. Bet it wasn't a regular shooter, probably just a scumbag "visitor".

At NRA shoots here, all the vehicles are left unlocked and often boots open. And so it should be.

Chris-NZ

This Country,

Is going to the bloody dogs!!!

Can we no longer even clear our minds on the point, without thoughts of car security entering our sight picture?

Not trying to be flippant, but sad news indeed.

jma

Dave,

Blimey, that's verging on unbelievable! :blink: (that is, I don't want to believe it!)

I hope your pal is mistaken and finds that the scope has been misplaced.

Thats what he thought Matt, checked when he got home nothing!

Phoned NRA to see if it had fallen out on firing point nothing.

He then phoned Police and they found the rear lock on his van had been skillfully jemmied.

Dave

This is terrible news and at Bisley as well.

on another point Chris quoted this "Bet it wasn't a regular shooter, probably just a scumbag "visitor"." i take great offence at thsi comment, i am a visitor at bisley are you saying i am a scum bag as well . well thanks very much chris, now i know your veiws on irregular shooters at bisley :blink::angry: :angry:

Thats very bad news Dave. Its also very sad. I,ve always believed Bisley to be the last bastion of trust in this respect. I believe there has only ever been one weapon stolen there in its history ? People leave valuables LOCKED in their vehicles all the time there, and can relax on the point and enjoy their day usually without worry. I hope this ###### is caught quickly, hopefully breaking into someones boot, and his hands accidentally get caught in the boot lid......about 20 times.

Shooters by their very nature, are an honest bunch. In all the years the shop has been open, we reckon the only thing thats ever been nicked, was a model 32 enfield scope.

Thats unbelievable, that wasn't just an opportunist, someone knew it was in there. Who knew?? Gutted for Tony, I'll never feel the same about the old place.......

Must say Chris that my well be true but to casts aspersions like that is a little unfair, don't we all start off as visitors???

Chees Steve

About four years ago I saw the police stop and question three lads in their late teens behind the NRA main office; a bystander said that they had been trying car doors to see if any of them were unlocked. This happened during the Service Rifle meeting.

The only time I have had stuff stolen at Bisley was when I left it on the firing point and it got handed in as lost property, naturally enough the Range Office couldn't find it a couple of days later!

Steve, Spud,

Let's not get silly about this 'visitor' thing.

I'm sure Chris simply meant some ne'er-do-well who wandered onto the Bisley site.

Nothing over which to go out of your way to find yourself offended.

No more on that please.

:blink:

Absolutely right guys, by "visitor" I meant a non-shooting scumbag pretending to be part of the action but just casing the joint.

By the reaction, I'd guess visitor your way means out-of-club shooters??

Chris-NZ

Hi on the rare occasions that I have been to Bisley, I have seen people wondering all over the place, I recall one shooter who left his pick-up unlocked in the car park, with his rifles clearly visible on the back seat. Not something that one would recommend in this day and age.

If you think about it, the amount of valuables that are to be found unattended on a rifle range, would certainly attract the low life!

When I was very young, back doors were left open and unlocked, but then we had bugger all worth stealing! Times have changed and not for the better I feel ;)

ATB Bob

A sad day indeed....

On a similar note, went to the Manx GP the other week and it was so pleasant to be able to turn up at your vantage point on the road bike and just place your lid and gloves next to your bike and go watching the racing instead of having to carry it round. I wouldn't dare do this on the mainland.

this is SHOCKING. I too thought bisley was a safe place. That's it I'm gona be carefull now, Locked boot as well...bastards.

I will post it on the fclass forum to let all know.

Thanks Lee I'm sure Tony will appreciate any help.

Cheers

Dave

Archived