Visit to WMS Firearms Training

Ronin

Never mind, milfs...what sort of pie,s are they ? :huh:

Spoke to Graham Clarke about one of them niiiice rangefinders Andy, he had a s/h one last month.....£2500.......Jaysus..

I have me an s+b 10-50 coming my man.......for the big fella. ;)

You could use any RF although some were struggling in overcast conditions.

I have the Swarovski Laser Guide, it worked just fine out to the distances we were shooting and ive ranged stuff out to 1600 mtrs before with it.

You can swap bettween yards or mtrs but the battery cover needs taking off to do this.

One guy there has a very nice RF made by Vectronics (the cost of which is great)

But the advantages were clear when I tried pinging a dark steel target on the hill side five times unsuccessfully and with one press of the Vectronics PLR we got a reading instantly......

(you get what you pay for)

If you do go there, Andrew also has a Vectronics and he knows exactly what the distances are anyway - so you don't "Need" an RF at all if you havent got one.

Some chaps tried ranging with MIL ret, but he found his estimates to be way out - probable user error here....

If youre thinking of a second hand unit, at the price mentioned I would want some sort of warranty or at least a factory service......

There's a US company who make high end RF's - can't recall the name just now but your looking at 2.5k for a 2000 mtrs model.

The Vectronics start around 3-4k (I think)

I was happy with the Swaro performance for my needs - lets face it, it isnt every day one needs to get on targets beyond normal distances...

However if I had the spare funds (and I don't) I would buy a Vectronics in heartbeat :huh:

Hi Andy, Dave,

Like Andy I have the swaro laserguide - for the price it is very good and light. The Vectronic binos are big and heavy if you need 20km+ ranging.

The Newcon (Canadian) stuf is shite.......done that.

Best monocular at the mo is probably Vectronics PLRF10 or PLRF15 (bit more distance) both are available with a fancy compass and slope indicator.

Not seen much yank stuff.......Melios used to be good on a par with Vectronics.

David

David

it was the Newcon I was thinking of stateside.

I understand that the PLRF10 is about 3k (USD)

So similar in price to the Zeiss bino RF, - the 10 has better (or slightly less) beam divergence.

Think I'm missing out. Will have come come along on next shoot if no ones got any objections. That will give the 6 mm br a run for its money. Looks great fun.

Last time I was there we were plinking accross the valley at fig 11's at 1100 yds with my 6BR and 105 Scenars.

I'd only just taken delivery and it suprised the hell out of me how well the little round did!

I suspect I should have taken it this time :)

TC

Last time I was there we were plinking accross the valley at fig 11's at 1100 yds with my 6BR and 105 Scenars.

I'd only just taken delivery and it suprised the hell out of me how well the little round did!

I suspect I should have taken it this time :)

TC

TC what your 6 mm BR set up. They certainly punch above there weight! Do you find it groups better at longer ranges than at 100yds with the 105gr bullets? Mines still a work in progress at moment. New stock is next addition.

Previously when WMS training was brought up there was a bit of a hoo haa over the licincing conditions needed to shoot there, a few members got a bit peeved, the thread was closed without being resolved, so what are the licence conditions needed to shoot there Andy? Thanks.

Ian.

Hi, Steel Challenge here....

Having studied the Home Office guidelines, spoken to the local Constabulary, NRA, NSC, Frank Haxton (TAS retired) and TAS Warminster current I am led to the following conclusion:

The facility is correctly insured by WMS and the landowner, carries its own risk assessment and one from Dyfed Powys Police, various military, firearms and ammo manufacturing companies risk assessments. It has had 7.62, .338 and 50 cal templates (milspec) applied by various GO's and NGO's and passes various gallery, range & field firing criteria. All persons shooting are covered either my instructors insurance or (preferably) their own private insurance.

We are responsible for our end, duty of care, safe practice and provision of appropriate insurance cover. We are not responsible for various Constabulary interpretations of the Law, The Guidelines on the Law or personal issues on the subject.

Frankly, if you cant shoot any weapons system you can legally own safely and responsibly with us.....where the hell are you going to shoot it safely?

Very pleased to see the interest WMS Steel Challenge has stirred up on your site. We are open, listening, improving and totally committed to providing the best rifle shooting venue in the UK (Europe). No frills, no bull, just bloody good shooting and fun. All we need is your material support.

Best wishes and great site.

Steel Challenge

Andrew

welcome to the site.

The next time our merry band visits, hopefully we will be avoiding the welsh brew!!

The posts have generated alot of comment and interest.

Hopefully you will see some interest from site members here.

I look forwards to my next visit, maybe, we (the site) could arrange a shoot at your facility next year - maybe a UKV comp, something similar or just a group getting together for a challenging days shooting...

Thinking aloud with the last sentance.

Yes welcome aboard Andrew!!! ;)

Hope you enjoy the site!!! :D

All the best................

RAY..................................

• 3 years later...

the place looks fantastic,i'm only using a 223 but fancied the 3- 600 yard course they do.e mailed to ask them to let me know when the next one was.they did e mail back saying they had the shorter range course coming up (not what i fancied) but since then i have never heard any more :( 5 months on.

i have not chased it up and its on the back burner again for a couple of months now while i fund a scope and trigger upgrade but if anyone is going i would like a play.the place looks great.

Archived