First rifle: Howa or Tikka? 6.5mmCR or .260?

Hi everyone, 

Help please as my head is spinning over my first rifle choice and sorry for the lengthy post. By all means skip to the questions at the end.

I may be overthinking this, but guessing it’s better to overthink it rather than underthink it (and be left with a rifle which may be difficult to sell on if ever needed, or a choice I’d later regret).  

Background:

I’ve been shooting .22LR Benchrest for a year and a half (which I love). 

Just started shooting centrefire at Altcar. 

Just awaiting my FAC / FEO interview and have put in for my probationary membership at Diggle. 

I’m wanting to shoot as many disciplines as possible with one rifle for a year ish (give or take) to find out what I enjoy most. Haven’t shot any of these yet, but the disciplines which appeal most at the moment are Benchrest 600 Yd, McQueens and F-Class mid range. 

Advice I’ve got so far (from some of the guys / gals who shoot the disciplines I’m interested in):

There is no one rifle which will do everything!

Get one rifle to shoot and learn it well to start with.

Get a Tikka TAC A1 in 6.5mm Creedmoor x 2 recommends.

If I get a standard production rifle, then I can enter the Production classes for F-class and Benchrest.

You’ll want to reload. 

So the questions are:

Do I go Howa or Tikka?

Do I go 6.5mm Creedmoor or .260?

Bearing in mind that:

Tikka TAC A1 6.5mmCR = £2k ish new. 

Tikka TAC A1 .260 new = £400 less than the 6.5mmCR new. 

A secondhand Howa is approximately £1300 less than a new TAC A1 6.5mmCR and £900 less than a new TAC A1 .260. That’s an awful lot of ammo!

Tikka 
Pro’s.
Lots of reports as ‘most accurate out of the box production rifle’!
Super slick action. Shot one in .308 and enjoyed it. 

Cons:
Very expensive compared to Howa, especially secondhand. 

Howa:
Pro’s:
Japanese quality(?) and several secondhand options to choose between (incl upgraded stocks etc). Bargains compared to new Tikka’s prices.

Con’s.
If buying would I regret it after a few mths and wish I’d have bought the Tikka?
More difficult to sell on (or keep for McQueens) if I then want to buy specific BR / F-Class rifle(s) eventually.

6.5mmCR
Pro’s:
6.5mmCR and .260 as accurate as each other. 
Factory ammo available even though I’d want to / be better off reloading. 

Cons:
New TAC A1 6.5mmCR = £2k + rings + Secondhand Sighton 8-32x56  + bipod + reloading equipment + guess 1-2k rounds p.a. = £XXXX Scary!
Secondhand ones seem to hold their prices very well and seem very poor value by comparison to say a new Tikka .260 or secondhand Howa 6.5mmCR.
Expensive compared to a new .260
Secondhand ones seem to be poor value as they retain a high price.

Pro’s
6.5mmCR and .260 as accurate as each other.
Seems that 6.5mmCR are well sought after, expensive, and hold their price very well (great if selling but not if buying) making the .260 better value. 
Saving over a 6.5mmCR would pay for a most of reloading equipment or secondhand scope. 

Cons
No factory target ammo available if ever needed. 

See why my head is spinning!

So I kind of have an idea of which direction to go in, but think a reality check’ would be a good idea. Would appreciated everyone’s thoughts / input.

Couple of specific qu’s:

Does anyone who shoots 6.5mmCr and reloads, occasionally found themselves buying factory ammo just for convenience if they were short of reloading time occasionally?

Does anyone who shoots a .260 still recommend it, or are you considering rebarreling into 6.5mmCR (and why)?

What would you choose given the above?

Many thanks in anticipation ….
Keith

Keith - I've given you my views - it's like blond or brunette! Get the one you fancy. But, if you come to trade the Howa it will be a harder sell than the Tikka. By the same token, the Creedmoor chambering may be an easier sell than the 260 but, for your purpose - as a novice - you won't know the difference on range. Most would go for the Creedmoor but the 260 will perform just as well.

Once you've started to reload you'll never buy factory ammo. Convenience?  Do you know a gunshop with good stocks of factory target ammo near where you live? Once you're set up you can reload anytime - total convenience!

Once you join Diggle you will get the opportunity to see a great variety of rifles and cartridges and chat to those shooting them which will help make up your mind better than any forum.

Many thanks Vince for the 'reality check'. 

Looks like the Tikka TAC A1 in .260 is the best contender then 👍

It's just the £ seemed to be mounting up before I'd even shot a round!
Guess that's the 'buy once cry once' I keep reading about!

Looking forward to chatting / meeting the guys at Diggle. 

Cheers.
Keith

4 hours ago, Itskeith said:

Many thanks Vince for the 'reality check'. 

Looks like the Tikka TAC A1 in .260 is the best contender then 👍

It's just the £ seemed to be mounting up before I'd even shot a round!
Guess that's the 'buy once cry once' I keep reading about!

Looking forward to chatting / meeting the guys at Diggle. 

Cheers.
Keith

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor (medium barrel) and a 260 Rem (light barrel). For target work I wouldn't get a 260 Rem. I shot my 6.5 Creedmoor at 900 yds on Friday afternoon and frustratingly, the Hornady factory ELDM ammunition shot better than my own reloads. 

I use the 260 Rem as my go to stalking rifle with non-lead reloads. I use the 6.5 Creedmoor as my go to rifle for short range competitions and MOA challenges. For my requirements, I prefer to have the option to shoot factory target and factory non-lead as an option. However, I have stalked with numerous 260 Rems since 1999 and will continue to stalk with the 260 Rem using reloaded non-lead ammunition. 

Good luck.

JCS

I and a friend both had the Tikka TAC A1, mine in 260 Rem, his 6.5CM.

Mine worked just great, but the 6.5 had many feed problems from the mag, they supply the same mag for both, but 6.5 is shorter, that seemed to be the problem.

I'd go Tikka over Howa every time, I've had Tikka's and Sako's for years and never had a problem with them, well not true, I really regret selling a Sako 75 in 260, best deer gun I ever had !!

Had quite a few different makes of rifle over the years ...

I think you'll find between all makes of factory rifle there will be very little to choose regarding accuracy - all can be exceptonally accurate, and very often as accurate as a premium barrel. The only difference I find is the premium barrel is easier and quicker to maintain.

As already mentioned by the Gun Pimp, the Tikka will be able to be passed on more easily, but it is not by any means more accurate, in whatever cartridge you decide. The determining factors for accuracy will be many, many other variables that come into play...e.g rifle fit for you, shooting position, handloading experience and mastering your technique etc etc ad-infinitum.. not forgetting your own shooting skills.....

Indeed I have very recently seen an excepionally accurate 'Browning X-Bolt Target Lite Max' in 6mm Creed..this was also a factory rifle but the person shooting it also had exceptional shooting skills. However, the Browning doesn't have the same 'kudos' or reputation of a Tikka/Sako.

Before you buy, and if you're still inclined to go Tikka or Howa, remember they are not the only rifle makers out there - there are many other excellent manufacturers who produce rifles that will produce the same results

Just my two-pennith worth, but good luck with your choice 👍

Think seriously about the time to reload , i shoot 6.5cm  (non of the above rifles) have all the gear to reload but lack the time (plus my rifle loves sako range ammo ) so my choice was based on that .

Many thanks Snakeman and Dellboy. 

Snakeman: 
Really good points – ‘kinda’ thought there was only Remmington, Howa and Tikka to pretty much choose from. Plenty of food for thought thanks. 

Dellboy.
Thanks for the 6.5mmCR / .260 and ‘think about the amount of time you have for reloading’ tip. Have to admit that that has been rolling around in the back of my head!

Shame the 6.5mmCR makes sense on a lot of levels, but huge discounts are being offered on the .260 at the moment. Funnily enough a fellow UKV member has kindly sent me a link to a new hugely discounted new Sabbati ST18 .260 at the moment!

The Plan:
Will wait to get my Probationary Diggle membership through, go chat with the guys/gals, get my FAC through and then see what’s up for sale. 

Cheers.
Keith

There’s no good reason to choose a 260 over a 6.5 Creed. One will have a readily available supply of factory ammo and easily accessible reloading components. The other is a .260.

Ballistically they’re identical, the Creedmoor will just be easier to live with.

Many thanks Charlts, 

There is one very good reason I've spotted: which is the .260 are sometimes hugely discounted over the 6.5mmCR, even when the MSRP for both supposedly the same. Enough to cover the cost of the reloading equipment! Hence the dilemma.

Your input is also much appreciated and it is looking like the 6.5mmCR would be a lot easier to live with in every other way.

Best wishes.
Keith