F class - how good do you need to be to be competitive?

Catch-22

Hello Effers,

I am no F class shooter, never having tried it nor having the right rifle/setup etc.

But after a few trips to Bisley, where I can actually see how I’m shooting (thanks electronic targets!) I was wondering just how good do you need to be to be competitive if starting out in F class (F open).

Below are some typical targets at 1,000 at Bisley. Gun is my 6.5x47 Impact, 26” barrel and shooting off bipod and rear bag.

The target which opened up at the end was a sudden shift in both direction and strength of wind which caught me out. The other clean target was a very calm, if wet day about 4 weeks ago.

I’m crap at reading the wind, which is possibly the biggest limiting by factor. But maybe one day I’ll get myself a .284w or similar flavour with all the proper rests, which all should help.

But just wondering what sort of group size/consistency I should be aiming for if wanting to dip my toe in F Open?

Cheers!

IMG_0079.jpeg

IMG_7761.jpeg

IMG_0075.jpeg

Not trying to burst your bubble, but the bottom target was shot on a TR target, which is twice the size of a F class target.

The top looks respectable but elevation has killed you, you’ll need to hold 1/2 MOA elevation or less to be truly competitive. Get a load that shoots super flat and then work on the wind.

GB F class association is holding a introduction to F class weekend in March, I will try to get the details put on the forum. 

Thanks Elwood, really helpful info. Don’t worry, no bubble to be burst.

I didn’t realise about the difference in target - tbh I don’t really know which is the correct target to choose from the list in the Intasaro.

Thanks for the info re load. I can see what f class shooters talk about holding the waterline.

I think the load is ok, but could perhaps do with some tweaking for long range. The 123gn scenar are good but do start to float around when at 1,000. It seems pretty flat out to 600m previously but obviously not all loads that shoot well at short/midrange will do well at distance.

I think what’s really hurting is the 25x power scope, I just can’t see enough, and also shooting off the old bipod and bag. I can never truly get comfortable enough.

Maybe one day I’ll get setup for f class properly.

thanks again!

There is a good mix of people and a good mix of abilities 

Elwoods idea of the training weekend if a good one and get to meet some of the people that might be starting the league 

You’re unlikely to win on your first time shooting F class but you’ll learn a lot - give it a go 

This is one of my first times out and I enjoyed it but I didn’t win that one 

IMG_5159.jpeg

Echo what others have posted - who are very experienced “effers”

The standard when I dropped out of the league was a 1/4 Moa vertical dispersion at 1000 to be “competitive”

The 6.5 class of cartridges are simply outclassed ballistically in F Open and not contenders in FTR

7 mm was the datum to be in it (180 hybrids being one of the more common bullets used and Senar L 

I guess tge 47 would be good as an “out to 600” rifle but I think you would be best served with a dedicated rifle to fully enjoy the sport without the frustration of being hamstrung from the offset 

Thanks to all.

Sorry, I hadn’t meant to imply I’d be tempted to enter F class with the 6.5x47 with light 123gn bullets or the current setup I have at all. That would be a bit pointless.

i know I’d likely need to be shooting some flavour of 7mm with a 30-32” barrel, some sort of high magnification SFP scope. All the usual stuff.

I was merely wondering what level of accuracy and consistency one should have if wanting to start out in f class. I simply have no idea how my current shooting compares to what I should be aiming for / achieving if starting in f class. I guess the answer is the ability to hold about 1/4moa. 

Thanks again - especially the suggestion of a class. I’d definitely be interested in an f class training day. I’m unsure what ‘the phoenix’ is (is that a postal shoot? Or a club?) but I’d be tempted to learn more about that too.

Cheers

49 minutes ago, Catch-22 said:

Thanks to all.

Sorry, I hadn’t meant to imply I’d be tempted to enter F class with the 6.5x47 with light 123gn bullets or the current setup I have at all. That would be a bit pointless.

i know I’d likely need to be shooting some flavour of 7mm with a 30-32” barrel, some sort of high magnification SFP scope. All the usual stuff.

I was merely wondering what level of accuracy and consistency one should have if wanting to start out in f class. I simply have no idea how my current shooting compares to what I should be aiming for / achieving if starting in f class. I guess the answer is the ability to hold about 1/4moa. 

Thanks again - especially the suggestion of a class. I’d definitely be interested in an f class training day. I’m unsure what ‘the phoenix’ is (is that a postal shoot? Or a club?) but I’d be tempted to learn more about that too.

Cheers

GBFCA TRAINING WEEKEND 2024 (revised version).pdf

9 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

Thanks to all.

Cheers

Go on have a go..

It's great fun and great competition 

12 hours ago, furrybean said:

Many thanks for this Furrybean. It might need to be the next one that I visit as my build won’t be ready in time for March. But I very much appreciate it. I’d definitely like to attend this in future.

3 hours ago, No i deer said:

Go on have a go..

It's great fun and great competition 

Ha…thanks, I will do. I like a bit of competition to push you forward. Thanks again.

Thank you again to all for the encouragements and links + advice re coming along and giving it a go. Thank you also for the Phoenix dates/details.

Unfortunately I won’t be able to attend the training course in March as I’ll be away with the kids in Florida during that time. But I’m going to reach out to the organisers and see if they can put me on the list for the next course.

But I think I’ll try and give the Phoenix in May a go. I won’t hold my breath for anything but last place, but it’s the learning experience that counts. 
If anyone else is considering doing the 300, 500, 600, 800, 900 & 1,000 Phoenix shoots for the first time in May as well, I’d happily pair up in the hope we could bumble through it together. 😂

Many thanks again…greatly appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking of giving this a go so can i add a couple of supplementary questions..  the first two are just to see if i get on with it..

1:  I've got a 6.5CM and a 300PRC could I use either?  

2: All my scopes as Milrad FFP..  will that be a major handicap?

3; Are they age classes for comps like clays?  I shoot geriatric/Super vets in OT, and quite often finish in the top half dozen 🙂

4: If i turn out to be crap ( Likely), will that be a handicap to anyone Im shooting with?  Like in golf where you hold up everyone behind you.

1 minute ago, martin_b said:

I'm thinking of giving this a go so can i add a couple of supplementary questions..  the first two are just to see if i get on with it..

1:  I've got a 6.5CM and a 300PRC could I use either?  

Its down to the range limit - https://nra.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/range_regulations.pdf

2: All my scopes as Milrad FFP..  will that be a major handicap?

If your mental maths is okay itll be okay but not ideal if you stay doing it. I wouldnt stress while you give it a go

3; Are they age classes for comps like clays?  I shoot geriatric/Super vets in OT, and quite often finish in the top half dozen 🙂

No - but some are older already lol

1 minute ago, martin_b said:

4: If i turn out to be crap ( Likely), will that be a handicap to anyone Im shooting with?  Like in golf where you hold up everyone behind you.

Again I wouldnt stress about it