.22LR ammo for rabbits - a selection

jimbob123

Hi folks

A trip to Dundee yesterday saw me walk away with 8 different sets of ammo for my CZ 457 LRP .22LR. I inadvertently bought one box that was supersonic, which didn't half walk up the neighbours, but the rest were subs.

A few photos attached; thoughts welcome? All are at 68 yards.

To me, the best is the Eley Match, where the ruler is, but I had a couple of groups earlier on that were poor.

EC - Eley Club

ES - Eley Sport

EM - Eley Match

CCI - CCI segmented

Norma

AA - American Eagle HV (No idea why I put AA not AE). Very accurate but very loud.

W/C - Winchester.

Now the obvious thing - they are not hollow point. However in my view accuracy is more important than damage, simply because all my rabbits are headshots, so a bullet is a bullet; I previously used .22 JSB 15.89 pellets in my FAC air rifle. A HP will do more damage, but if the accuracy isn't there then it's a lottery anyway. I have tried a bunch of HP - Eley HP, RWS, CCI - and none could match the groupings that I've achieved today. 

Red circles are 12.5mm/0.5" and yellow 25mm/1".

Thanks

Jim

fr_348_size1024.jpg

fr_349_size1024.jpg

fr_350_size1024.jpg

fr_351_size1024.jpg

10 minutes ago, jimbob123 said:

The only snag is they are running supersonic out of my cz457 lrp. In fact almost all the ammo I’ve tried is supersonic. Eley Match was 1156.

What speed does it show on the box

Interesting....22LR is new to me and I've read so much online to suggest that subs are more accurace than supersonic due to not traversing the sound barrier. During my testing today I've not seen any evidence of that. I tried HV American Eagle and they were accuract but very loud, and the Eley Match seem like they might be a good balance.

28 minutes ago, No i deer said:

What speed does it show on the box

1040....the website for Eley Match shows 1040-1085 but everything seem to run hotter for me, I wonder if it's the slightly longer barrel in the CZ 457 LRP. Seems to be a characteristic of this gun, the 38gr subs are listed at 1000-1040 but this youtube shows another guy getting much higher speeds, same as I do. 

Screenshot_20230807_104201_Gallery.thumb.jpg.47268f7b7b5c7e67975a0ae45a44567f.jpg

Eley match

Date is the first 4 numbers 10/21

01061 is the lot number

1059 is fps that was in their test barrel.

I've never bothered to chrony my ammo.

I'd be fairly sure it's a little faster than that in my CZ452 varmint 

5 minutes ago, No i deer said:

Screenshot_20230807_104201_Gallery.thumb.jpg.47268f7b7b5c7e67975a0ae45a44567f.jpg

Eley match

Date is the first 5 numbers 10/21

01061 is the lot number

1059 is fps that was in their test barrel.

I've never bothered to chrony my ammo.

I'd be fairly sure it's a little faster than that in my CZ452 varmint 

Thats very useful, thank you, I didn't know that. On the box I have it's 1075. Eley advertise it at 1040-1085 so my box is at the higher end. 

Try sourcing some eley match with a lower fps and see if it makes any difference..

If you have any mates with a 22 try the ammo in their rifle and see if there going supersonic..

I'm not really sure why they do when there ment to be subsonic 🤔

Latest eley subs are rubbish in my anschutz 1416 so went back to rws or Winchester subs and all is well again. 
Original eley subs were great, 40 grain but only 38 on the scales, new range ones are advertised at 38 but my last lot when I pulled a bullet we’re only 36 grain s so a little light and hence they go crack rather than phut. 
SK do some great types . 
Tenex didn’t feed from the mag very well as they are a blunt shape. 
Lapua are also very good if you can find them. Good luck 

The old eley subs used to be brilliant..

It was my go to ammo..

It shot small groups and I could do 1 inch groups at 100yds..

They were quiet too..

The newer stuff wouldn't shoot 1 inch groups at 50yds..

Give up on them along time ago.

Eley skimped on them and ruined the best 22 lr hunting ammo I ever used.

Winnie 42gr subs are in my 22 the best of a bad bunch..

I find the cases quite often don't extract and I carried a nail to prise the empty case out..

That was the only ammo I've ever had that problem with..

Yeah a lot of people have said the old 40gr were far better than the newer 38gr.

I'm going to buy some more Eley 38gr this morning, and also some RWS, and put a couple of boxes through, 100 of one then 100 of the other, at 100 yards, and see what I end up with. Weather forecast for Thursday morning is dry and calm so I'll see what I end up with.

Winnies in mine were poor too, but I have 40 of those left so I will have another go with those at the same time.

I just wish Match were quieter!

Jim

On 8/6/2023 at 8:35 PM, jimbob123 said:

Interesting....22LR is new to me and I've read so much online to suggest that subs are more accurace than supersonic due to not traversing the sound barrier.

I thought this might be the case as I've experienced it with .223 at 1000yds, and then saw this that seemed to debunk all those theories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSuXZAkmQac

Go on YouTube and look up Pursuit of accuracy. 

Josh tests just about everything and gives his honest opinion all makes..

Covers alot of rifles.

He uses the CZ 457 MTR as a benchmark and compares alot of custom 22s.

There's alot of really good videos that will answer every question you have..

It's by far the best 22lr veiwing.

I doubt it very much if you'll get hunting ammo that shoots like target ammo.

I use eley match these days..

I've had some lots my CZ452 varmint didn't like much but find the right lot and it shoots like a custom rifle..

I had one lot that improved as the temperatures warmed up..

It went from not good to really good..

There's a thread on here Ronin started that gets the odd reply..

Plenty of targets to see