6.5 Creedmoor for longish range

When I first got my license my first center fire rifle was the ubiquitous .308. I soon realised that whilst if could shoot 1000yards it was pretty much on the limit, so I bought a Sabatti .300 Win Mag which is great, but not so cheap to feed! I also have a lovely .223 CZ which if fed with its favourite munchies is stonkingly accurate. I would really like a .338 lapua for serious long range, but to be honest it is out of my pay grade. When I renewed I asked for 6.5 Creedmoor and it has been burning a hole in my license since. 

I am seriously thinking about selling the .308 in favour of Creedmoor, because it will easily manage 1000yards and has the advantage of not requiring HME testing, which can be an advantage, particularly at Bisley.

My .308 is a Sabatti STR and whilst I prefer the .300Win Mag which is the heavier barrelled model, let into a FormRifle stock, I really can't think about the cost of a custom inlet again! I was thinking about the new STR FC with 28mm x  28" barrel in a very fetching red. My ultimate preference would always be a laminated stock but I like Sabattis because, like CZs they shoot better than their cost would suggest and the MRR rifling means the barrels last much longer than traditional rifled barrels. 

ANy thoughts?

3 hours ago, Ralpharama said:

When I first got my license my first center fire rifle was the ubiquitous .308. I soon realised that whilst if could shoot 1000yards it was pretty much on the limit, so I bought a Sabatti .300 Win Mag which is great, but not so cheap to feed! I also have a lovely .223 CZ which if fed with its favourite munchies is stonkingly accurate. I would really like a .338 lapua for serious long range, but to be honest it is out of my pay grade. When I renewed I asked for 6.5 Creedmoor and it has been burning a hole in my license since. 

I am seriously thinking about selling the .308 in favour of Creedmoor, because it will easily manage 1000yards and has the advantage of not requiring HME testing, which can be an advantage, particularly at Bisley.

My .308 is a Sabatti STR and whilst I prefer the .300Win Mag which is the heavier barrelled model, let into a FormRifle stock, I really can't think about the cost of a custom inlet again! I was thinking about the new STR FC with 28mm x  28" barrel in a very fetching red. My ultimate preference would always be a laminated stock but I like Sabattis because, like CZs they shoot better than their cost would suggest and the MRR rifling means the barrels last much longer than traditional rifled barrels. 

ANy thoughts?

6.5 Creedmoor is certainly v. good for 1000yds, much less drop and significantly better wind performance than .308.  Brass is more expensive, especially Lapua SRP but that evens out over many reloadings.  That said I still enjoy .308 with 185gr Bergers at 1000yds.   I shoot Berger 144gr Hybrid from SRP Lapua with RS62.  Seems like cheating after shooting my .308 😅

Why do you say MRR rifling lasts "much longer than traditional rifled barrels" ?  Is there evidence for this or just manufacturer's hyperbole ?

Because there are no sharp edges they claim that it doesn’t wear in the same manner. It’s certainly easier to clean as there’s no corners for crap to get stuck in. When I bought my first Sabatti the guy said that some bloke had won some major title using a gun that had a very high shot count, which would usually have been re-barrelled many times over. I think it is fairly accepted that they are far more accurate than many other guns in their price bracket. 

Don't worry about  Bisley HME testing.. only issue is when there is a queue, card is free, on a quiet day  (this friday I hope) takes about 5 mins and warms the barrel up.

15 hours ago, martin_b said:

Don't worry about  Bisley HME testing.. only issue is when there is a queue, card is free, on a quiet day  (this friday I hope) takes about 5 mins and warms the barrel up.

It's not that arduous, but takes time and with the cost of ammo now. I guess I'm still smarting from the time I stuck three through the same ragged hole and they made me go and shoot some more at £1++ a round. I now deliberately shoot off at Bisley HME testing. Never been a problem on gallery ranges at 200yards set for 600. 

14 hours ago, DaveT said:

Why not just rebarrel the 308 to 6.5 Ralph?

I might give HPS a call, but then I'd lose the MRR. I don't think one gets much change from a bag of sand for a quality rebarrel so it might be easier to sell my rifle and get a new one. I really like the colour of new STR Sport in red - as they say in Bristol "it looks gurt lush!" 🤣

I must say the price of the Sabatti rifles are good. 

I definitely think the whole MRR marketing is snake oil. 

but if they shoot well and are cost effective crack on. 

The 6.5 creedmoor performs well for its size. But it’s all about what your objective is. Putting more rounds down range or having a better cushion for that one round that counts at extended range when you are relying on your wind call.

The .308 will be a similar cost to load for as a 6.5 creedmoor so it makes sense to move it on. Just be prepared to take the hit on depreciation of a secondhand rifle. 

It is safe to say the 6.5 creedmoor is the ford transit of the shooting world right now. 

28 minutes ago, Steven Taylor said:

Shooting a sabatti told red in 308 at diggle

Cracking rifle for £1395

Using handloads

Luv it

I shot my .308 STR at Warminster IR2 1000yards on Saturday and was asking myself why I wanted to spend a load of money chopping it out for a new Creedmoor when it was going so well 😃