Forgot How Relaxing Handloading Can Be

John MH

Have had a very busy 18 months at work with hardly any time for Shooting but that busy period has just come to an end and a 4 day week beckons.

I've decided to do the CSR Imperial with my Son as he's just finished at Reading University, so time to make some .223 Rem Ammunition; 77 Grain HPBT Nosler Custom Competition Bullet, GGG Cases, Murom KVB-223 Primers and 24 grains of RS52 Powder should do the job.

image.thumb.jpeg.853262d80657a3a06fecccaf224bdc82.jpeg

IMG_2140.thumb.jpg.c09fc48ba759596c6cb7fc58da522702.jpg

Nice Co-axial press.

The RS 52 will probably burn out after the bullet has left the muzzle.  So I would recommend a slightly faster burning powder such as Vithavuori N135, should get you a nice saving on powder for about the same velocity.

6 hours ago, kwakkerjack said:

Nice Co-axial press.

The RS 52 will probably burn out after the bullet has left the muzzle.  So I would recommend a slightly faster burning powder such as Vithavuori N135, should get you a nice saving on powder for about the same velocity.

No he won't.

N135 is a low bulk density propellant and its performance is therefore severely limited in the 223 case with a 77gn HPBT such as the Sierra MK seated to 2.26" for magazine feed which I'd assume @John MHis using. Viht's max load of 22.5gn N135 with the 77gn SMK is becoming fairly heavily compressed.

N140/540; RS50/52; Re15/Norma 203-B will give higher MVs at lower pressures than N135 in this combination.

Viht developed N135 a long time ago specifically for the standard Lapua 7.62X51mm NATO ball round military load with 144-150gn short bearing surface and OAL FMJBT bullet.

13 hours ago, Laurie said:

[...]

Viht's max load of 22.5gn N135 with the 77gn SMK is becoming fairly heavily compressed.

[...]

Up to 21 grains of N135 should be fine, no need to hit max pressure.

With the data provided at the top, RS  52 is going to require somewhere in the region of a 50" barrel to be running optimally with a full burn.  Hence why I suggested a faster powder, but there are plenty of alternatives to choose from such as RS36 or Reloder7 to name a few other suitable candidates.

Personally, I am a fan of Blue Dot because of range speed limits at my club and a relatively short barrel, but that would struggle with a heavy bullet.

• 1 month later...

Lovely toys there , they certainly make life much easier. My v4 turned up 2 months after ordering. 23.5 g for the 223 comes out very accurately and quickly. Will be trying it on the n150 after the 1 July shoot at catterick. Might need a little washer under the rear mount just to get the flow rate upto the recommended rate .