LANTRA Reloading Course @ Longtown Range

hellandback

• 3 weeks later...

I expect it is just an accrediting body. There are several of them, they look at the training material, make sure it addresses the learning objectives and then accredit it, for a fee.

It gives an impression of an official course. 

It is more a quality assurance of the structure of the training rather than the content.

We work with several accrediting bodies, hence my understanding

To be fair to the course suppliers and Lantra there needs to be some accreditation but if it goes wrong and somebody who has done the course has an issue which results in injury Lantra may find themselves in Court explaining their assessment criteria and compliance procedures. There is also a cost involved with accrediting bodies which can be quite high from my experience  which probably justifies  their pricing. 

I know the NRA are looking at this and they probably are the best organisation to design the course and assess the students as it’s an essential to keep the ability to shoot reloaded ammunition on MOD ranges

It’s a great idea getting clubs to run the courses as well. 
I think most reloaders work with a degree of caution, but the number of incidents I have seen suggest that some formal training is a good option.

Edited by TSG
Spelling

• 2 weeks later...