Does anyone put a small amount of polish in their media when tumbling brass??

chaz

Just a quick question folks.

As above, Would it be ok to put a few drops of car wax, or any other polish (Brasso?) into walnut media when using my dry tumbler?

I've seen it being done on You-Tube, and heard people say they do. But I'd like a few opinions before I think of doing it.

So some constructive opinions, Or better still experiences would be appreciated. 

My concerns are, getting wax in the case, so creating more work by then having to clean them in my Ultrasonic....

Cheers.

Chaz. 

26 minutes ago, chaz said:

Just a quick question folks.

As above, Would it be ok to put a few drops of car wax, or any other polish (Brasso?) into walnut media when using my dry tumbler?

I've seen it being done on You-Tube, and heard people say they do. But I'd like a few opinions before I think of doing it.

So some constructive opinions, Or better still experiences would be appreciated. 

My concerns are, getting wax in the case, so creating more work by then having to clean them in my Ultrasonic....

Cheers.

Chaz. 

I use a tiny amount of jewellers rouge powder, it brings the brass up very nicely.  I mean tiny too - quarter of a teaspoon max in a full Lyman tumbler.  It will naturally distribute around the walnut media and turn it a red shade.

If you don't know, jewellers rouge is super-fine ground iron oxide (rust) used for polishing precious metals and glass

Most important though:   clean the necks inside prior to loading  - I use a wet cotton bud.

Personally I can't see any reason to use wax and would think it detrimental

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2023 at 12:37 PM, No i deer said:

Yes I used brasso loads of times in my tumbler..

Does the job..!!

Do you think adding brasso makes much of a difference, and how much do you use?

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Kranks sell a media additive, can't remember it's name now (useful eh?), but it's really good.

Heard that the amonia in brasso can make cases brittle. Had some loads I'd had in the back of the safe I'd done a few years prior that had the necks cracks on some of them, so there could be something to that, I used to use brasso in my media all the time.