Question...... Does PPU .223 brass get annealed at the factory before it's sent out to shops to sell??

chaz

As above, I've bought some new PPU brass, but it's so shiny I can't tell if it has been annealed at the factory. And all my research just gives people's opinions of the PPU brass....

And just for the record, I've been using, and reloading PPU brass for some time, and get great results. As long as I anneal the brass every 3 to 4 shots.

Is there anyone out there that could answer my annealing question....??

Cheers

Chaz.

2 hours ago, chaz said:

As above, I've bought some new PPU brass, but it's so shiny I can't tell if it has been annealed at the factory. And all my research just gives people's opinions of the PPU brass....

And just for the record, I've been using, and reloading PPU brass for some time, and get great results. As long as I anneal the brass every 3 to 4 shots.

Is there anyone out there that could answer my annealing question....??

Cheers

Chaz.

I would think so.  It may be cleaned/polished after drawing and machining taking the surface oxidation off (what gives the coppery colour).  I anneal but after one cleaning cycle the brass is uniform yellow again.

I would be very surprised if it was not annelaed.

I can't see the brass that's loaded into ammunition and the brass that's sold loose coming off different production lines.

The brass in loaded ammo is shiny and shows no sign of annealing which would imply some sort of cleaning process being performed after annealing.

Since that is performed on brass loaded into ammo, it stands to reason that it would also be performed on brass sold loose - hence you getting shiny brass

Cheers

Bruce

18 hours ago, Scotch_egg said:

Let me know how you get on. I’m picking up another .223 and want cheap brass because I’m good at loosing it in the field or truck! 

it never gets loaded more than a couple of times in reality when it’s one of my hunting rifles. 

May be a while Scotch. But will do. 

Chaz.

• 2 months later...
On 11/27/2022 at 6:33 PM, chaz said:

May be a while Scotch. But will do. 

Chaz.

How are you getting on Chaz? 

I have picked up some Hornady SPX and some N133 so just need some brass now. I was going to stick with heavier bullets but after playing with my ballistics calculator I’ll be better off with the lighter bullets fort it’s intended use. 

On 11/26/2022 at 11:57 PM, Scotch_egg said:

Let me know how you get on. I’m picking up another .223 and want cheap brass because I’m good at loosing it in the field or truck! 

it never gets loaded more than a couple of times in reality when it’s one of my hunting rifles. 

I loaded up a batch of PPU .223 brass and shot it on Saturday at Bisley in my old CZ 527. No problem at all with it. Only 109 yds, wet and breezy but managed 10/10 into less than an inch.

30yZdAOl.jpg

1 hour ago, 1066 said:

I loaded up a batch of PPU .223 brass and shot it on Saturday at Bisley in my old CZ 527. No problem at all with it. Only 109 yds, wet and breezy but managed 10/10 into less than an inch.

30yZdAOl.jpg

You can certainly shoot.  What load? 

1 hour ago, miki said:

What wieght SPX ?

What twist rate in your barrel ?

What length are the bullets ?

50gr 

1/8

i haven’t measured a bullet as they are currently, patiently awaiting collection. I’m laid up so relying on other for taxi duties and too tight to pay postage cost on the weight of 10 boxes of bullets when they are a couple of miles from my parents. 🤣

You'll have no problems with a 50gn monolithic bullet in a 1:8 twist. Heavier = longer and its the length that destabilises the bullet in flight.

With a 1:8 I'd have thought 60 even 65gr would be fine, it's the 1:12 that struggle with the heavier bullets.