Sick of reloading .223. What are my options???

chaz

Folks,

I'm, Sick of reloading .223. What are my options?? Just looked at the prices of .223 Rem ammo, and it, like everything has gone right up! 

I noticed You could buy boxes of 50 Geco ammo, some time ago... And it was cheap! Is that still the case, and if so, where, and for how much?

That's as in buy bulk boxes no more than 50 to start...

Cheers.

Chaz.

Do you use it for target shooting or for hunting? For target, the cheapest around is probably GGG. Normally around £40/50, although sometimes you can get it for less. 

For hunting, the cheapest I’ve seen was £28/20! Although hopefully you’d be shooting less than for target use.

GGG 62gn ball ammo is around £65/100 at the moment, it's good stuff for FMJ and more than good enough out to 200yds+ for CSR and the like.

If you want match ammo the PPU 75gn seems good value (and the wife's rifle absolutely loves it, which is a bonus) and the GGG 77gn match has great performance but a bit more pricey at around £90/100

Sorry, I should have said. I'd prefer soft point as the ground is very stoney, where I mainly shoot.

As for purpose, it would be a bit of both really, so hitting plates at distance, and vermin control.

Livens seems to be pretty good on price and not to fair away. But as usual the cheap supposed good stuff is out of stock. I may buy a few different boxes, to see what my gun likes. It wasn't particularly happy on Geco FMJ.

I'm currently trying to work out what it cost to reload my rounds. I've worked out everything bar the cost of brass. I use a bit of everything. But I bought a box of new Lapua .223 brass, around 6 shots ago. 

I've not added the cost of all the kit, as I will always reload for my .6.5CM, as it's generally always target shooting.

Anyone know the formula for working out the cost of brass after 6 shots?? It's pickling my head!!

Had my tikka a few years now and am still using the original sako brass from my first 100 rounds bought ( 55 grain soft points ) think these were £22 a box . If you compare loaded rounds price against factory price I found that after I’d made 600+ rounds of 308 with ex factory cases used , I had already covered the cost of a basic rcbs kit. I try to build up about 20 rounds from foxing and plinking then reload. Then it’s not too much of a pain. Cheers 

15000 grain s in a 1 kg tub easy numbers !! So will make 600 charges of 25 grain (£98). 
6 times £29 per 100 bullets = £174.

£8.33 per 100 primers =£49.98 

£321 per 600 rounds not including brass price . 
Brass comes free after the initial outlay of buying factory ammo. 
Cheers Rich