Waterproof, Breathable Shell Jacket

andybrock

After much consideration and the 'shall I, shan't I' malarkey ...and 'what about this one, or what about that one'??...I would have no hesitation in buying one of these again

https://www.thesportinglodge.co.uk/product/beretta-dry-tech-static-goretex-jacket/

Bought mine 4years back and still going strong, still waterproof following prolonged outings from shooting to dog walking in downpours and have not treated it. I was skeptical but took the plunge and forked a good few quid back then, but if you can get one in your size seeing the offer/price of them these days, (because of old stock/designs etc??) it is a cracking jacket. More than enough large pockets a-plenty, light enough to be comfortable and very versatile - this is one of my better purchases and will probably, following personal experience, never buy a Deerhunter or a Seeland again

ATB

I’m in the same quandary. Narrowing down to Arktis SAS waterproof smock . If anyone uses one of these your opinion would be appreciated. Mainly wanting a jacket with lots of big pockets all on the outside so not taking up room within the shell . Think these are possibly the same people as fortis???. Already have a Nomad all round jacket that’s very good and a paramo one but this is a bit scrunchy material. 
cheers

2 hours ago, Richiew said:

I’m in the same quandary. Narrowing down to Arktis SAS waterproof smock . If anyone uses one of these your opinion would be appreciated. Mainly wanting a jacket with lots of big pockets all on the outside so not taking up room within the shell . Think these are possibly the same people as fortis???. Already have a Nomad all round jacket that’s very good and a paramo one but this is a bit scrunchy material. 
cheers

I have several Arktis jackets. They are good. They will keep you dry, but breathable is subjective. They will make you sweat in the warmer weather.

Once the outside is wet, it stays wet for ages, the liner is the waterproof part.

They are worth the money. I use one as my range jacket all year round.

Like Roy I have several Arktis jackets, having first encountered them as issued uniform clothing when serving in the police. They proved waterproof and durable then, as well as having what I considered to be a good pocket layout (which I consider they still have). They have maintained the standards I think. I use the “waterproof combat smock” now, but also have an unlined (not waterproof) “combat smock” for warmer weather. The latter jacket is reasonably showerproof. 

I believe the founder of Fortis was previously associated with Arktis and their products also seem very good, although I have only used one garment personally, an insulating smock.

I hope that helps,

Adrian

Thanks for the info . Lots of reviews online but not always 100% this is what we need . There’s gonna be a compromise somewhere. I have an optifade harkila but it looks like it glows in the dark when night shooting. Heard from a forces  mate the MTP Pattern also is a bit crap in the dark . Still in two minds 

I have a few Arcteryx jackets of the leaf variety 

all are totally waterproof and have survived years of hard use when culling, carrying out day long sojourns in darkest Cumbria and also at competitions 

One of my jackets developed a faulty zip a month if so ago 

Bearing in mind it’s over ten years old - I contacted arcteryx and was referred to their repairs facility (in Switzerland) who asked for images and  brief description of the fault

A week later it was sent to their repair centre and less than two weeks after it came back with nee zip fitted and re proof - free if any charge 

Cannot recommend this brand highly enough 

Mine are Alpha Gen 1 

have overtrousers too for each jacket 

makes a very comfortable any weather outfit

Though perhaps sit down if buying new (unless you get your kit issued)

Hi Andybrock.

Had a long cornice berghaus jacket years ago and found it very easy to rip when pushing through some hedges . A friend of mine had a cheaper version that had an outer nylon shell with an inner goretex liner that was much tougher . Have a look at ray mears web page 

cheers 

Just had a look at fjallraven Vida pro jacket . Also reading a few articles regarding wool clothes as alternatives. Looks like you can’t have waterproof and breathable . Fleece vs merino wool under layers . 
Might dig out my old swanndri gear . 
there is an article about camo basically saying a full suit to an animal looks like a camo blob and hence not natural. A better way was to use for instance a DPM jacket with plain brown or green trousers  or another pattern of camo , apparently this is more confusing to animals . Military camo is designed to disrupt the human eye only . Cheers 

• 3 weeks later...

Enjoying my new ridge line pintail trousers . Very good pocket layout and they hold a good amount of gear and are zipped . I’ll dig out my old ridge line jacket and try them out . Just need some cold wet weather lol