Best thermal?????

Bob90

Very expensive 

seen the pulsar trail and the thermion pro , both excellent units , not really impressed with the entry level and that’s still expensive 

Best is completely dependant on use and any other personal requirements; if youre going to sit gun on the bonnet of your truck and snipe foxes at 300 yards+ then a big 75mm unit that weighs a ton but has high base mag would be 'best'. If you're trudging about fields whacking bunnies at 100-150 yards with a rimfire then personally something smaller and lightweight would be preferable.

Definitely NOT the IRay RH50.

For the asking price it's rubbish

At the moment, the best "bang for your buck" thermal scope is the HIK MicroThunder TQ50

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/hik-micro-thunder-50mm-640px-riflescope-only-special-edition

It retails at £3k, but can be got for £2600 by just asking for some discount

Also, avoid anything made by ATN

The Pulsars are excellent, but pricey

If you want something for long range foxing, then the new Senopex 75mm thermal scopes from Blackwood Outdoors are the dogs danglies.

Cheers

Bruce

On 4/30/2022 at 5:29 PM, phoenix said:

Definitely NOT the IRay RH50.

For the asking price it's rubbish

At the moment, the best "bang for your buck" thermal scope is the HIK MicroThunder TQ50

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/hik-micro-thunder-50mm-640px-riflescope-only-special-edition

It retails at £3k, but can be got for £2600 by just asking for some discount

Also, avoid anything made by ATN

The Pulsars are excellent, but pricey

If you want something for long range foxing, then the new Senopex 75mm thermal scopes from Blackwood Outdoors are the dogs danglies.

Cheers

Bruce

Bruce,

please can you elaborate on “long range” it’s quite subjective. 

what will the senopax have over the HIK micro thunder TQ50 considering the similar pricing. 

Senopex are out of stock so no idea how good they may be . At Blackwood outdoor s . T ceptor is effing brill so go for one of these . If it’s in your price range . Otherwise a second hand drone 10 x is your first choice . Cheers 

On 4/29/2022 at 10:26 PM, Bob90 said:

What’s best thermal?

looking at pulsar thermion xp50lrf?

pulsar trail xp50lrf?

ifiray Rh50?

any pros and cons??

thanks 

I have one of the new Thermion 2 Pro LRF XP50 

I like it lots , performance is brilliant but , for me it’s got to fit into traditional mounts and have a similar feel  to a day scope , I also have mine in a Innomount QR as I swap them around depending on what rifle/calibre I intend to use. so for the time being I will stick to  my Pulsar . If it’s what I call a “ pard type mounting  I have no interest personally and I don’t care who made them or how good they , that was the one big pain in my @Rse with the Drone when they came out , I hated mine with a passion in the end ha ha . 

Finding the right thermal can be a bit of a nightmare, I’ve owned 4 different types . 
i currently have Thermion 2 Pro LRF XP50  / Helion pro XP50  and am very happy . so if you want any info on those particular thermals I will help in anyway I can on the information front of things . 

but one of the things I learned . And gets so overlooked when  choosing the the right type of thermal 

Look at the typical layout of your land if yours is  like where I live and you only have about 3 hills in the entire county then you  want to be looking at the best you can get for the very top end of your budget  for shooting and scanning over those big fields .

if all you have is rolling countryside and hills and houses and all sorts of other crap in the way , end result being shorter distances 100/200 max then most of the brands higher spec  models should do the job . 

you really need to be trying a few of what your like 
If possible of course. 

10 hours ago, Scotch_egg said:

Bruce,

please can you elaborate on “long range” it’s quite subjective. 

what will the senopax have over the HIK micro thunder TQ50 considering the similar pricing. 

For foxing with my TQ50, anything over 250 yards is long range.  I have shot them with the TQ50 at over 300 yards, but that's not something I would choose to do regularly

In simple terms, the longer the focal length of the objective lens, and the smaller the sensor size, the higher the magnification of the scope

So, a HIK TQ50 has a 12 micron 640x512 sensor and a 50mm lens.

For a fox size target, it has a detection range (is there something there or not?) of 1863m and a recognition range (it's a fox) of 465m

The Senopex A7 has a 12 micron 384x288 sensor and a 75mm lens.  

For a fox size target that gives a detection range of 2795m and a recognition range of 698m

Basically, the Senopex A7 has a lot more base magnification (x7) than the HIK (x2.6) which is going to make long shots easier

Cheers

Bruce

I Have looked through a lot of Thermal rifle scopes over the years, pretty much all the top end stuff including a GCSI 75mm 640 sensor which retailed at £14k and nothing i have seen tops the Senopex A7 I'm sure there is some Military stuff that's maybe better but it's not available to us. For the money I thinks it's unbeatable, that's why it's not in stock and sold out. trust me it's taken a long time to wean me off a Drone, I have 3 of them but will never sell just in case.......

• 3 months later...

Those products were good when they first hit the market several years ago but they don't compare well to a lot of currently available thermal spotters and scopes

Have a look through some of the new Pulsar, HIK and Senopex scopes and be blown away by how much better they are than a Trail XQ38 and anything ever made by FLIR

Cheers

Bruce

• 4 weeks later...