To deprime or not to deprime, that is the question

Oly

Just noticed that my tumbler instructions say to deprime prior to tumbling, but my reloading manual says to deprime after tumbling. Just thought I would see what everyone else is doing?

But then it would be cleaner on your gear if you tumble before depriming...or do you neck brush before depriming too??

But then it would be cleaner on your gear if you tumble before depriming...or do you neck brush before depriming too??

i do indeed neck brush and also use a nitrate decapping pin so i dont need to lubricant my cases when neck sizing (well not all the time)

thanks mark

I de-prime after tumbling as if you do it before, ive found that the medium sometimes gets stuck in the primer pocket.

Excellent, thanks guys...I know where I can always get a good range of answers!! :)

Ronin - I know what you mean...I reckon only 30% don't get the stuff stuck in them!! :D

I also deprime/resize before tumbling, had not thought about doing it afterwards. Medium is a bit of a pain in the flash holes but pretty easy to remove.

A

I tumble with the primers in :-

a) I'd rather be putting clean brass therough the sizing die

:) I hate picking media out of the bloody flash hole!

c) a primer pocket brush seems to clean the pocket better than the tumbler unless I leave the brass in forever....

I guess the question is akin to asking which end of a boiled egg to you chop off, personal preference applies :D

So my fellow Liilliputians........

I tumble with the primers in :-

a) I'd rather be putting clean brass therough the sizing die

B) I hate picking media out of the bloody flash hole!

c) a primer pocket brush seems to clean the pocket better than the tumbler unless I leave the brass in forever....

I guess the question is akin to asking which end of a boiled egg to you chop off, personal preference applies :D

So my fellow Liilliputians........

Valid points TC. Point a inparticular I was also thinking about. Point b is a pain and I agree with point c too! However...there is only ONE end to attack a boiled egg!! :) (the pointy end if anyone is wondering!)

Valid points TC. Point a inparticular I was also thinking about. Point b is a pain and I agree with point c too! However...there is only ONE end to attack a boiled egg!! :D (the pointy end if anyone is wondering!)

There will no doubt be a modern day Blefuscudian along to argue with you shortly..... :)

Tony

I can see that if you are only neck sizing using a carbide? bush then it will be fine but if you have to body size then you have the lube to remove. I remove most by hand then lob them in the tumber overnight usually.

A

I usually tumble -when I tumble at all- with the primers in. It it's dirty enough to be cleaned, it's too dirty to go through my dies. I guess I'l get the chance to try it again, too. The local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs had a qualifying shoot today and I picked up 15 pounds of Winchester .223 brass before it got too dark to see. Guess I'll tumble it, size it, and stash it.~Andrew

• 1 month later...

i de cap first them FL size case trim then into the tumberler with a shot of oneshot 5 mins before i put the cases in

..it gets the thumbs up from me and cuts the cleaning time down to about 1hr next time round http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...=0065876216982a

Archived