Home Brew Case Lube?

English Rifleman

It works very well, went over to this a good few years ago and have pointed others onto it.

cannot remember the ratio off hand, but 12:1 alc to lanolin rings a bell. Cheap house plant spray pumper bottle from local garden centre works a treat.

Same base constituents as commercial products but 1/10 the price.

A thousand pardons but here’s the link to my stuff - https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/threads/lube-save-money-on-the-big-brands-and-support-charity-at-the-same-time.210761/

(Hope admin don’t mind, apologies if it’s taking the piss too much!)

I’ve never used One Shot or the above with Lanolin & Isopropyl.

Does it leave a residue on the case afterwards? Something you need to either wipe or clean off?

I still use my small tin of Imperial Die Wax (had the same tin for 10+yrs…never seems to get empty). It’s good stuff for FL sizing, but it gets tacky and needs more than just wiping off…usually cases need throwing back into the US cleaner. 
I have also used the graphite stuff for lubing the inside of necks when expanding necks with a mandrel or generally lubing the ‘grabby’ necks post US Cleaning before seating a bullet (better for a consistent bullet release). 

Hi Catch,

It does leave a residue on it, I usually give then a wash in hot soapy water afterwards and then give them a good rub on a dry towel.  I've also used break cleaner and a towel before. I only do batches of 50 so it's not too much of a chore.

Cheers

G

2 hours ago, gruntus said:

Hi Catch,

It does leave a residue on it, I usually give then a wash in hot soapy water afterwards and then give them a good rub on a dry towel.  I've also used break cleaner and a towel before. I only do batches of 50 so it's not too much of a chore.

Cheers

G

Ace - thank you!
Sounds a bit less of a chore than the Imperial Wax, I find it doesn’t easily wash off and requires several attempts at wiping it all off.

I may give the above a go. Cheers

54 minutes ago, gruntus said:

Hi All,

I meant to ask if anyone else has seen separation of the lanolin and alcohol if its been left standing for a long while unused?

All the best

G

Yes, but you just give the pumper bottle a shake.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2022 at 11:18 AM, Catch-22 said:

I’ve never used One Shot or the above with Lanolin & Isopropyl.

Does it leave a residue on the case afterwards? Something you need to either wipe or clean off?

It does, and it can be wiped off but I find it easier to size and trim and then wet ss tumble to clean and it does the wiping off for me. 😊

1 hour ago, Mattnall said:

It does, and it can be wiped off but I find it easier to size and trim and then wet ss tumble to clean and it does the wiping off for me. 😊

Thanks. Yeah I already bought a bottle from Dr S and have used it to size a few hundred 6.5x47 and .303 cases. A couple of pumps in a sandwich bag is all that’s needed for an even coat. Sizing was great - no issues with stuck cases or over lube bulges.

Afterwards I simply rinsed the sized cases in some hot water with a squiz of wash liquid and done.

In all, a lot quicker than lubing and then cleaning each case with the Imperial Wax.

Perfecto! 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Mattnall said:

Published recipes vary from 1:10 to 1:25 mix.

I can buy Lanolin in 118ml bottles and alcohol in 5lt tubs - two of lanolin and one of alcohol gets a mix of 1:21, never had a sticky one yet and no need to measure if I just mix them all together. 😉

Thanks Matt

Thats good to know.