RG Rifles new actions

Have to eat humble pie on the bolt materials :ph34r: Said I wasn't an engineer! Chromoly it is. Wonder why they don't rust more?!

Funny how the discussion always goes binary. Point out that the copying a basic design rather than a developed version is limiting; doesn't really mean that the developed version only appeals to some weird niche market. Sako actions have fixed recoil lugs and receiver dovetails; wouldn't describe them as niche! ;)

Nor does it really need "oh yeah, you build a better one then". I couldn't. But then I couldn't build a car either - yet I know whether I prefer a Suzuki Jeep or a Land Cruiser :) ...and I'd prefer a Surgeon over a straight 700 clone :) ...not exactly niche either.

I think this action, when it is produced, will offer serious competition to the likes of BAT, Borden et al - those that want a well finished shiny product will have a UK designed and produced product.

I still maintain that it may be better if there were some kind of abutment for scope bases and an integral recoil lug.

These are not criticisims, development points only - it would be very easy to make a switch barrel rifle if the action had a integral lug (or pinned washer style lug) - the better one being integral.

These changes may cause the action to cost more, what price extra I dont know, but it would be still worth consideration in my book.

If Russ is aiming these actions to be direct competition to the US products (and I think they are), then I hope they start being produced ASAP.

I can see lots of rifles being built for F Class, foxing and stalking on these actions....

British made mcmillan style stocks ? A lot closer than you think.

The british gun trade has had enough of america, and is rapidly becoming parts, self sufficient. Every week we find something else to cnc reproduce here, at less money. We,ve virtually cloned the 10/22 in a custom action format, and imminently a stainless steel actioned format, plus an entire bolt assembly, trigger assembly and internals etc.

There is a list of fullbore parts being made as we speak, including a variety of rails, bolt knobs etc, and we aren,t the only firm doing it either. This can only be good for the british gun buying public, as the parts are going to be there, all year round....and they are going to be cheaper.

Thats good to hear mate, not only for british and irish shooters but European shooters,

I would gladly pay a little extra for local materials, rather than overseas and then face a few months waiting, So hats of to anyone putting their product out there, Can only be good for the industry.........

Snap.

Snap,

I just bought a remmy last week and plan to develope composite stock for a SA 700.

We are already producing a howa stock since a year in Ireland. If one creates a supply for

custom rifle parts one might as well improve the product compared to what is on the market.

There is plenty room for improvement.

Hope that goes well with the remmy clone.

edi

Snap,

I just bought a remmy last week and plan to develope composite stock for a SA 700.

We are already producing a howa stock since a year in Ireland. If one creates a supply for

custom rifle parts one might as well improve the product compared to what is on the market.

There is plenty room for improvement.

Hope that goes well with the remmy clone.

edi

Edi thats good to hear mate,

i was aware that you made stocks for howa, and i hope you get a good market for whatever else you develop.....

as said hats of to everyone giving it a go....

snap.

Just to throw in my $.02 worth...

I agree, kudos to those in the UK trying to make a market for UK built products! As an American, I am often irritated at the sad state of affairs wrt firearms, the cost of the import and the additional taxes you guys have to pay. I'm glad you Brits/UK'ers are making something locally, can be proud of it, and (quite honestly) can thumb your noses at the US companies (though most aren't actually owned by US companies). I say good for you, maybe you'll make some of the "big dogs" wake up and smell the coffee...errr...tea. Earl Grey of course... ;)

Marine, I'm convinced the most american gun products are great value for money in the USA.

Then depending on products the prices just get upped partially out of control until they make it

across the pond. A shop just priced me a black sps sporter remmy for 1300,- Euro here, great eh.

Things are getting more and more difficult to get from the states, cabelas will not even send

a scope mount anymore. Don't think America is doing yourselves any favours with these restrictions.

We can get ammo from the east, no problem, east is happy. Now we start to produce a few specialized

items and slowly cut loose from the states?? That shouldn't be the goal.

By the way, just bought a remmy yesterday, paid through my nose...

edi

Don't think America is doing yourselves any favours with these restrictions.

I couldn't agree more. I do not like what I'm seeing with the new policies going in place, and the protectionist sentiments. But, sigh, the politicians are playing to the fears of the masses, a lot of whom, are of the entitlement mindset, expecting the Big Brother to allow them to sit on their butts, do as little as possible, and still make a nice living. Sooo...the politicians make it appear (at least in the short term) that they're doing their constituents a favor by envoking protectionist policies. Short sighted to say the least. Like lemmings to the cliff... ;)

... A shop just priced me a black sps sporter remmy for 1300,- Euro here, great eh.

You can get a std black SPS package with crappy scope here Edi for ~ 460 quid, and we're still being ripped off

Chris-NZ

A little off topic but; I am looking at getting Redding comp dies from midway UK but they are asking more in pounds than Midway USA. They claim the difference is in import tax and shipping!! The reality is that these people are treating us like fools and effectively trying to steal from US rather than make an honest living!! The Shipping will be negligible on such a small item when shipped in a bulk consignment and they won’t pay US tax so there is still a significant difference between the prices.

At least Dick Turpin had the common decency to wear a Mask when he was robbing you!!

Dave

A little off topic but; I am looking at getting Redding comp dies from midway UK but they are asking more in pounds than Midway USA. They claim the difference is in import tax and shipping!! The reality is that these people are treating us like fools and effectively trying to steal from US rather than make an honest living!! The Shipping will be negligible on such a small item when shipped in a bulk consignment and they won’t pay US tax so there is still a significant difference between the prices.

At least Dick Turpin had the common decency to wear a Mask when he was robbing you!!

Dave

Dave,

I dont know what the Redding comp dies cost here now but they are £135 from Sinclair and £165 from Smartreloader, thats of course if your rifle is a series 1 calibre, and before you add tax and shiping from Sinclair and shipping from Smartreloader.

In this climate of recession IMO it would be prudent to make the change to Wilson/Sinclair hand dies.

For £163 plus tax and shipping you can buy a hand die kit complete with Arbour press, neck and seating dies, micrometer top, bushing and dies bases.

After that additional die sets complete with micrometer tops are around £89 a set and that is regardless of calibre.

This is excellent value for money for arguably the most accurate loading system available.

Ian.

Hi Guys ,

Its nice to see a action being made outside the US , well done .

However , due to the NEW US FFL Exporter Licence pricing , MOST current FFL Exporters will expire when they run out , and will not renew due to the out landish prices being demanded for this service from the US Govt .

Because of this , small imports for custom rifles will almost dry UP , and price themselves too high outside of the US for US exported gear .

So what I would REALLY like to see , would be a nice all steel trigger to fit into the Rem700 profile , as most custom actions use this type of trigger layout .

Would also like to see a Badger M2008/AW action made outside the US , due to the trouble & price of gettiing ANYTHING out of the US .

Later Chris

The amount of 2 stage and target m700 triggers used by custom build outside the US would be very large .

Archived