RG Rifles new actions

Got this through today. See what you think. I think they look the mutts :blink: .

Actionpictures001.jpg

Actionpictures004.jpg

Actionpictures010.jpg

Here is what he had to say:-

Pictures of two actions one single shot with heavy tang area and one repeater with Remington pattern tang and magazine well. Both 8" long and for short action cartridges. Long action and mini for PPC / BR to come. Action specifications17/4 PH stainless hardened to 39 Rockwell before machining.1.36" diameter. Raceway and internal cam EDM cut. Thread 1.0625 x 18 tpi. Pinned recoil lug. Will accept Remington bottom metalwork. Single shot utilizing trigger hanger, repeater has trigger pinned. Drilled and tapped 6 x 48 for scope bases. Bolt specificationsMachined from one piece of high carbon EN30B tool steel. A 10lb block to start with produces 2 of 8oz bolts. Heat treated to 45 Rockwell after rough machining then ground to final dimensions. Sako style extractor and spring plunger ejector. Stainless steel shroud and fluted firing pin. 308, 223, PPC and magnum options. All work done in house apart from EDM and heat treating. Recoil lugs and firing pins sourced from PTG for now. All programming has been done by myself on PC with 3D modeling Cad Cam software. Still got a good bit of development to do with machining processes etc but prototypes are working and I should be in full production later in the year.

gorgous mate , like them man said how much for one of these babys as i am interested in one my self for next years project

do you work at rgr or are you the man himself

thanks mark

Well, I'll be the miserable git then:

Looks just like all the other Rem 700 clones.

Why a carbon steel bolt?

Why no fixed recoil lug?

Unless it's coming in wildly cheap, it doesn't appear to offer anything that the other 700 clones don't already.

:blink:

Why a carbon steel bolt?

Why no fixed recoil lug?

Unless it's coming in wildly cheap, it doesn't appear to offer anything that the other 700 clones don't already.

yes you are a miserable git

most if not all custom actions a clown of a remmy unit,so what its a good design

there is no fixed recoil lug as the lug can them be changed for a larger version if needed depending on caliber,isn't that obvious

I wouldn't expect something precision made to come widely cheap,also anything precision made WILL offer obviously more than the std Remy unit

its about time actuons were made in the UK I have alwasy said the first man to make one will do well,I look forward to hearing how much they are

I think they look good, I'm not bothered by the fact that they are a Remy clone and offer nothing new, they are British and will be much easier to obtain (I hope).

Well done RG rifles, Border barrels, SYSS, Staffordshire synthetic stocks, Anglo custom rifles, Jaeger sporting arms and all the rest for having the balls to produce components that were otherwise only obtainable from the US.

I think they look good, I'm not bothered by the fact that they are a Remy clone and offer nothing new, they are British and will be much easier to obtain (I hope).

Well done RG rifles, Border barrels, SYSS, Staffordshire synthetic stocks, Anglo custom rifles, Jaeger sporting arms and all the rest for having the balls to produce components that were otherwise only obtainable from the US.

Hear Hear that man.

Why a carbon steel bolt?

I am surprised Matt, i thought a man of your calibre would know that a stainless bolt in a stainless action is not a good idea.

Using CM for the bolt eliminates the possibilities of drag (galling) between two similar materials when in close tolerence with each other.

I take my hat off to Russ for taking the initiative (and the risk) for putting what looks to be an excellent action onto the market in these difficult times.

Further on from Eldons post the same goes to the other manufacturers who are making components here, its a new period for UK firearms industry that needs our support, so spend your pennies on Uk made components lads, i have already put one down on my list for future purchase.

Ian.

PS. All we need now is a stock maker capable of Mcmillan quality work. :blink:

Why a carbon steel bolt?

Why no fixed recoil lug?

I agree to a point, a lot better than a Remmy 700, but as you say no integrated recoil lug, no integrated Weaver rail in the receiver. Carbon steel bolt? Top marks for having a ago, but with a bit more work they could be a world class action IMO.

Best rgds

B-b

I agree to a point, a lot better than a Remmy 700, but as you say no integrated recoil lug, no integrated Weaver rail in the receiver. Carbon steel bolt? Top marks for having a ago, but with a bit more work they could be a world class action IMO.

Best rgds

B-b

F**k me what is a matter with you and Brown dog, Russ deserves huge praise for bringing us a custon action fullstop!!! still there will always be doubters and critics :blink:

Ian.

F**k me what is a matter with you and Brown dog, Russ deserves huge praise for bringing us a custon action fullstop!!! still there will always be doubters and critics :blink:

Ian.

Ian

If I was going to spend my hard earned cash on a custom action I would not want to compromise in any area full stop, if I wanted compromise I would stick to a factory action. I am not say Russ does not deserve praise for what he is doing, but that does not mean there is not room for constructive criticism.

Too many business try to give there customers what they think they want or what is easier to manufacture, rather than listening to prospective customers.

I will say it again well done to him, but I personally would like to see a bit more, if that means price is a £100 or £200 more for what I really want then so be it.

Best rgds

B-b

Ian

If I was going to spend my hard earned cash on a custom action I would not want to compromise in any area full stop, if I wanted compromise I would stick to a factory action. I am not say Russ does not deserve praise for what he is doing, but that does not mean there is not room for constructive criticism.

Too many business try to give there customers what they think they want or what is easier to manufacture, rather than listening to prospective customers.

I will say it again well done to him, but I personally would like to see a bit more, if that means price is a £100 or £200 more for what I really want then so be it.

Best rgds

B-b

What more do you want bambi? as for as i know the Surgeon is the only action that has an integral rail and recoil lug and as far as i am concerned they are good for waht they are designed for....tactical rifles.

Most of the BR actions are based on the two lug Rem 700 design which when you really study it is a design marvel, just poorly manufactured.

A custom action that is precise, concentric and perpendicular can only be a good thing.

I think wecan agree that we should reserve our judgement untill the first guns are built and the accuracy results are in.

Ian.

They look the Nuts mate :excl:

Dont think their gonna be cheap ,but he is a good gun smith and if he puts it all together for you , you'll know it will shoot :blink: .

I rather expected that sort of reaction! :lol:

Yes, well done on entrepreneurial spirit, well done on being British-made etc

...other than that it's just another 700 clone that hasn't pressed all the required buttons.

I just see blind support 'because it's shiny, because it's Brit, because he's the 1st to do it (ever heard of RPA?) etc', as pretty poor analysis.

I am surprised Matt, i thought a man of your calibre would know that a stainless bolt in a stainless action is not a good idea.

:lol: Ian; I've not a bleedin clue; I'm no engineer. But I could (as could you :lol: ) make a list of all the stainless actions with stainless bolts on the market. Zulus Sir, thousands of them. Starting top-end fine tolerance: Borden, Nesika ...ad infinitum. I (remember: not an engineer!) was rather under the impression that different grades of stainless can be sufficiently dissimilar to avoid galling. :lol:

Someone else mentioned the reqt for removable recoil lugs to cater for different calibres. What?!! :blink::excl: It's a mass-production manufacturing-tubular-actions short-cut. Nothing else. ..and that's why it's odd to see clones copy it ;)

Using CM for the bolt eliminates the possibilities of drag (galling) between two similar materials when in close tolerence with each other.

I take my hat off to Russ for taking the initiative (and the risk) for putting what looks to be an excellent action onto the market in these difficult times.

Further on from Eldons post the same goes to the other manufacturers who are making components here, its a new period for UK firearms industry that needs our support, so spend your pennies on Uk made components lads, i have already put one down on my list for future purchase.

Ian.

PS. All we need now is a stock maker capable of Mcmillan quality work. :blink:

On the mc millian comment,

Thats just what i was thinking myself mate, it's just a pitty we don't have the same dedication in ireland,

i Can't wait to see a finished rifle, with this action....

Snap.

The action looks to have all the necessary bits, in the right place, with the correct options available to suit virtually everyone. Thats its real beauty. Producing a single shot action, for a 6mmppc will not keep his cnc machinery going for 1 hour in the UK marketplace, and thats a fact. The market is too small. The action has to be all things to all men, and it fits the bill.

If the quality is anything like his brakes, and it certainly looks that way, he will sell them by the boatload, and good luck to him. That action in its various guises could be used for any type of rifle made, hunting or target, and it will accept any remington style components, either triggers, rails or stocks. I would say all bases were covered there....and so would his bank manager most likely.

The best of luck with those Russ, they look superb.

British made mcmillan style stocks ? A lot closer than you think.

The british gun trade has had enough of america, and is rapidly becoming parts, self sufficient. Every week we find something else to cnc reproduce here, at less money. We,ve virtually cloned the 10/22 in a custom action format, and imminently a stainless steel actioned format, plus an entire bolt assembly, trigger assembly and internals etc.

There is a list of fullbore parts being made as we speak, including a variety of rails, bolt knobs etc, and we aren,t the only firm doing it either. This can only be good for the british gun buying public, as the parts are going to be there, all year round....and they are going to be cheaper.

First of all, I seriously welcome the step Russ has made, hats off to the man for hving the balls in this time of economic "crisis"to take this leap.

Well done sir.

As I understand from the initial post the photo's are prototype's with final tweaking still to be done.

Here are my own thoughts:

A - I like round actions, makes for a very strong base for accurate rifles.

B - Rem 700 clone - that it may be, but parts are so widely available - that makes good sense so customers have the widest choice.

C - Trigger hanger - nice idea, Surgeon use the same trick for their XL action and it works.

D - Scope base fixture - why not consider the following for the final production;

1, pinned bases

2, scope base "abutments" (like BAT) absolutely no danger of transferring recoil stress to 6x48 screw threads.....

3, integral picatinny rail (for same reason as #2)

E - Recoil lug, fail to see why a dovetail slot for lug under action cannot be machined, or small integral lug machined at front of action thread - again like BAT or Surgeon...

All of the above are not criticisms, they are points I would consider before going into full scale production.

The changes would not change this into a "tactical" action, just make a good idea slightly better (IMHO)

I rather expected that sort of reaction! :lol:

Yes, well done on entrepreneurial spirit, well done on being British-made etc

...other than that it's just another 700 clone that hasn't pressed all the required buttons.

I just see blind support 'because it's shiny, because it's Brit, because he's the 1st to do it (ever heard of RPA?) etc', as pretty poor analysis.

:lol: Ian; I've not a bleedin clue; I'm no engineer. But I could (as could you :lol: ) make a list of all the stainless actions with stainless bolts on the market. Zulus Sir, thousands of them. Starting top-end fine tolerance: Borden, Nesika ...ad infinitum. I (remember: not an engineer!) was rather under the impression that different grades of stainless can be sufficiently dissimilar to avoid galling. :lol:

Someone else mentioned the reqt for removable recoil lugs to cater for different calibres. What?!! :blink::excl: It's a mass-production manufacturing-tubular-actions short-cut. Nothing else. ..and that's why it's odd to see clones copy it ;)

I think you will find that no custom action bolts are made from stainless steel. (I'm probably wrong here, but i don't know of one)

Bat are not( 4140 Chrome Molly Rough machined then hardened to 43 to 45 Rc and finish machined using carbide and grinding) and nether are nesika.(nesika bolts are machined from a block of heat treated 4340 they are chrome molly.they say this is to insure that the bolt does not fail even under the harshest of use) So i think the reason for this is its tolerance to pressure and it does not explode the same as stainless when it reaches its limit.

maybe you should put your cash up and design and put in to production an action that only a small percentage of people in this country would buy. or worse still may be just you :D

ATB

Colin

British made mcmillan style stocks ? A lot closer than you think.

The british gun trade has had enough of america, and is rapidly becoming parts, self sufficient. Every week we find something else to cnc reproduce here, at less money. We,ve virtually cloned the 10/22 in a custom action format, and imminently a stainless steel actioned format, plus an entire bolt assembly, trigger assembly and internals etc.

There is a list of fullbore parts being made as we speak, including a variety of rails, bolt knobs etc, and we aren,t the only firm doing it either. This can only be good for the british gun buying public, as the parts are going to be there, all year round....and they are going to be cheaper.

Thats good to hear mate, not only for british and irish shooters but European shooters,

I would gladly pay a little extra for local materials, rather than overseas and then face a few months waiting, So hats of to anyone putting their product out there, Can only be good for the industry.........

Snap.

Guest varmartin

Hats off to Russell for all his hard work in developing these actions.....

Looking forward to further info...

Remington M700 clone ?....of cause they are...Do you think he would sell many if they were based on the `Jakamaty 5000`?

gorgous mate , like them man said how much for one of these babys as i am interested in one my self for next years project

do you work at rgr or are you the man himself

thanks mark

No mate neither. I got the email and wanted to post it up to see what other people thought. I used to stalk for the forestry with Russell. Really nice guy and is self trained.

Personally I take my hat off to him. He could quite of happily sat back and "just" built rifles but he went out and spent over £70,000 on a CNC machine and the software to run it. Not to mention all the hours he would have put in.

As for the price, im not sure mate. You would have to enquire to Russ himself. As yet I haven’t spoken to him.

I am starting to believe what they say about "most" Britt’s. Miserable bastards :ph34r:

Ads

Archived